ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Well after a long break managed to get D and E today. The E wasn't the one i had in mind when I set out but Eaves didn;t seem to have a sign, church, station or anything I could use. Shame really as I could have got an F as well if it had. Got FGH and I planned but can't seem to find a J in Lancashire! Didn't want to use up a bye that early but if that must be....
Think I might be looking at th rest of the year at this rate.
Dutton near Ribchester
upload_2019-4-7_19-39-28.png

upload_2019-4-7_19-38-47.png

Aravis

Putrid Donut
As it's going to be a few weeks before I can visit a Z, today I picked up the Y I'd been intending to get before my foray further afield. In the spirit of this challenge, in particular the motivation to ride to places previously unvisited, this was quite important:

Yanworth1.JPG

The village sits on a promontory in the upper Coln valley, breathtaking even today, in the heart of the Cotswolds. I should have ridden there last month on the Cider with Rosie Audax, but it was far too windy that day for this delicate flower. Fired by the A-Z challenge I've now put that right. The heavy rain stopped long enough for the picture, after which I hauled myself up the ramp in the background to find that Yanworth has a decorative sign in the centre, not so common around here:

Yanworth2.JPG

I'll be back.

TeeShot

Veteran
Today I rode out of one country and into another, all in the quest of continuing the ABC challenge!!
Having got my P in Prestbury a couple of weeks ago, I knew Q was going to be more tricky. From home in south Manchester, Queensferry in Flintshire seemed my best bet. So I’m then pawing over my OS map and looking at street view to see if I can bag a few more letters. I drove out and parked up between Delamere and Chester. A glorious day for a 40 mile ride and seven more letters bagged

378E2F0E-81A0-4A5A-98A6-864101FC7FBE.jpeg
C50DE4A4-FB82-403B-9E8B-FBC72D91AEAD.jpeg
CD40A2DB-EC01-4004-8580-7FBFE268D6CD.jpeg
C3CAA3C2-74BE-4D3E-947D-1E1273E91F46.jpeg
9C3E23FB-9FFF-4A6C-B772-0033AE605BE3.jpeg
08ABC15D-7F5B-4145-BA44-4422BFA83978.jpeg
E5AC2654-5EE8-40F4-B377-6DFBA7777720.jpeg

Today I rode out of one country and into another, all in the quest of continuing the ABC challenge!!
Having got my P in Prestbury a couple of weeks ago, I knew Q was going to be more tricky. From home in south Manchester, Queensferry in Flintshire seemed my best bet. So I’m then pawing over my OS map and looking at street view to see if I can bag a few more letters. I drove out and parked up between Delamere and Chester. A glorious day for a 40 mile ride and seven more letters bagged

View attachment 461555 View attachment 461557 View attachment 461556 View attachment 461552 View attachment 461551 View attachment 461554 View attachment 461553

Not sure we can allow the V - a golf club sign of all things :laugh:

TeeShot

Veteran
Not sure we can allow the V - a golf club sign of all things :laugh:
I quite agree. Having worked in the golf industry for over 40 years, visiting a golf club on my day off was a bit of a bus mans holiday!!
Wikipedia listed Vicars Cross as the only V in Cheshire and it does appears on my OS map, however no end of street view searching could find a proper sign. As an aside, in the future, with cycling taking over as the "new" golf these signs maybe become a thing of the past !!
As for X, Y and Z, don't hold your breath. I haven't taken any byes up to now but I might just go back to A and start again with a new list, but I won't bore you with them^_^

I quite agree. Having worked in the golf industry for over 40 years, visiting a golf club on my day off was a bit of a bus mans holiday!!
Wikipedia listed Vicars Cross as the only V in Cheshire and it does appears on my OS map, however no end of street view searching could find a proper sign. As an aside, in the future, with cycling taking over as the "new" golf these signs maybe become a thing of the past !!
As for X, Y and Z, don't hold your breath. I haven't taken any byes up to now but I might just go back to A and start again with a new list, but I won't bore you with them^_^

I feel your pain, I don't want to take any byes but J and K for me are a days ride away so am struggling.

you need to bore us with them, that's the game ^_^

there is another thread where people can make up their own A-Z, golf courses for instance :stop::whistle:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
My next 'project' will be J, not one in riding distance, will need a drive out and scenic ride . Hopefully in April, however

Top Bottom