ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
If a village letter is too far away for you treat it as one of your byes.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
@Vantage where are you thinking of for O? There doesn't seem to be any signs in Over Hulton or Ordsall. So, then it's Orrell or Oldham?

As long as my legs, lungs and sugar levels can hold out, I was planning on Ormskirk then Parbold on the way back. They might be a little out of your way though.
Limbrick, Mawdsley and Newburgh are up before those though. The nearest Q I can think of is Quarry Bank. I think that might be a bye though.

Mr Celine

Discordian
upload_2019-4-11_22-59-41.png

"Of course you can. A Scottish town situated on the River Tweed?"

"That would be....

IMG_20190411_151206[1].jpg

The old signs used to say 'Peebles for Pleasure'. Another wee place with a chip on its shoulder that hasn't been a burgh, royal or otherwise, since 1975. Presumably they managed to spell their twin town wrong as it's a stick on patch.
I'll have to work on the endurance before getting another letter as Q is another 20 miles beyond here.

Katherine

Guru
As long as my legs, lungs and sugar levels can hold out, I was planning on Ormskirk then Parbold on the way back. They might be a little out of your way though.
Limbrick, Mawdsley and Newburgh are up before those though. The nearest Q I can think of is Quarry Bank. I think that might be a bye though.
I like the idea of Ormskirk and Parbold. I'm thinking of The Quays because I missed J. Also thinking of Flixton or Rixton for the X!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I like the idea of Ormskirk and Parbold. I'm thinking of The Quays because I missed J. Also thinking of Flixton or Rixton for the X!
Flixton Rixton sounds like a detective or secret agent from a rather stilted 1950s BBC radio drama.

"Look out Rixton! there's a man holding a gun emerging from that doorway".

Bang! Bang! urrrgh. Thud.

"Got him! I think that was one of Ormskirk Parbold's men. He's definitely on our trail".

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
I might have missed something here, is any name containing an X acceptable for X?

I hope that will be acceptable ?

Flixton Rixton sounds like a detective or secret agent from a rather stilted 1950s BBC radio drama.

"Look out Rixton! there's a man holding a gun emerging from that doorway".

Bang! Bang! urrrgh. Thud.

"Got him! I think that was one of Ormskirk Parbold's men. He's definitely on our trail".
:laugh:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Today's ride took me to Jacks Hill, named after local giant Jack O'Legs. There's no village sign there, but there is a water board site, a (rather rubbish) pub, a garage and a mobile home park.
Jacks Hill.jpg

I then carried on to L-for-Letchworth.
Letchworth.jpg

Coming back, I took the route through Willian and Graveley across the fields, that I used when I worked in Letchworth.
It's a lot nicer in dry weather - my electric bike is still coated in mud from the commute.

I'm going to have to venture further afield for the next few letters, but I do have plans for M, N, O, P and Q.
Onwards :biggrin:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
User9609 himself acknowledged that finding somewhere beginning with an X was going to be difficult if not impossible and that we'd probably need a trip to China for any real hope of bagging one.
Ex was agreed among the forumites as the next best thing but even those are a rarity in some parts.
I'm taking anything with a X in it.
Reivers rules on things were somewhat 'pliable' .

Last edited:
Top Bottom