Accident Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

1D0461D6-284C-447D-A1A5-C3E5C5CA2D37.jpeg
F2CF96B8-712D-4DBE-A61E-5F1B8AAB9152.jpeg
E59A4211-1EC1-4B90-978A-ADEE13837959.jpeg
603B439A-2375-47FE-B2E9-1EF7225FE113.jpeg
C88BC1EE-EFB9-4823-BAEB-7A5342FDA14A.jpeg
9BDA44C6-B6FE-492F-AC3F-8873B34F227A.jpeg
22A437A5-282B-4963-85E8-267C119A7905.jpeg
Saturday. Driver reversed into me causing me to fall off. One person did see police didn’t get involved and I forgot to get details. (all I know is where the driver works as the person said).
Ankle has been hurting a little bit not as badly as on Saturday after if happend. My friends told me to still report it to police by their online from.

(Bystander saw, ended up calling paramedics (at the time I couldn’t walk on my ankle which kept giving way. To make things weirder turned out my blood sugar was low as I’m type 1 diabetic. (Which rarely happens I’m not prone to low all though when incidents happen that always makes my blood go high or low in this case). I was able to put more weight on my ankle afterwards. They just said to keep an eye on it. (It’s been 2 days now and it is still hurting a little bit with other foot being very sensitive (pins and needles feeling). I have a doctors checkup anyway on Friday. But for next time to know shouldn’t police of gotten Involved? (Even the paramedics questioned themselves when they asked the bystander and driver what happened) (weirdly driver kept changing his story) to me the driver didn’t look into his rear view mirror when he reversed and that’s why I got knocked off. There were cameras around from local shop.

(Wheel is also making a slight clicking noise) and a couple of spokes are loose which you can’t tell till you spin or feel it. (even though I recently just got this fixed but it’s probs happened again due to Saturday) is there any point to get my cycle insurance involved?

I can’t tell whether the cranks are bent or disc brakes are? (I’m not great with minor details)
Or if you notice anything else please tell me

classic33

Leg End Member
@Randombiker9, Get yourself seen to first. Then get the bike dropped of at your bike shop.

Then get back to the police and make certain they have it on record. You go through their insurance, not yours.

Get yourself checked first, the bike can't feel anything.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

@Randombiker9, Get yourself seen to first. Then get the bike dropped of at your bike shop.

Then get back to the police and make certain they have it on record. You go through their insurance, not yours.

The thing is what should I do because there’s not a doctors appointment till Friday. It was bad enough that I couldn’t do my college course today. So I assume my volunteering on weds is going to make it worse as it involves a lot of walking and climbing over fences. I don’t drive.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
The thing is what should I do because there’s not a doctors appointment till Friday. It was bad enough that I couldn’t do my college course today. So I assume my volunteering on weds is going to make it worse as it involves a lot of walking and climbing over fences. I don’t drive.

If you are not up to your volunteering, you don't go. If you think it will make your injury worse, you don't go. If you think it will hamper your recovery, you don't go.
Insurance companies and defence solicitors don't reward martyrs. In fact they will turn it against you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Go to the GP. Get checked out. Go round to company where person works, get car reg (that's all you need). It's highly unlikely the bike will have suffered much damage, but get a shop to check it out if you can't/don't know what to look for. Then get a solicitor involved if you are injured or bike damaged. If damaged slightly and you aren't injured, then you could approach the driver, buy they have a habit of changing stories.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to A&E or better urgent care / walk in if you really can't get an emergency appointment via your GP.

IIRC you're in the Reading area
https://readingwalkinhealthcentre.nhs.uk/

Wot he said.

The shop will charge for looking at the bike, but you can claim that back from the guys insurance.

classic33

Leg End Member
Main concern is/should be, any injury sufferred when this happened. You have an underlying condition to also think about. Could the injury be hiding anything. You're the best placed one on here to answer that. Are the pins and needles in any way connected to the diabetes and the injury sustained?

For myself, I'd be phoning in to let them know that I'd not be turning in/up on Wednesday, and why. Walking on a damaged ankle, when it's not required is not advisable. If you have problems walking at the far point, how would you get back.

One method I was given to ease the pain & swelling was the ankle, foot included, into water as warm as I could stand then into water as cold as I could stand. Alternating ten minutes in each. Use your hand to decide how hot.

You've taken pictures of the bike. Now do the same for your ankle, as well as any other areas that were hit.

You want something to do whilst you're off your feet? See the first post in "Accident Advice". For that "Professional touch", consider using Vikeonabike's Statement Template, for everything to include, and how to word it. Real life schoolwork.

Just don't do anything stupid, like climbing over fences in the meantime.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Go to A&E or better urgent care / walk in if you really can't get an emergency appointment via your GP.

IIRC you're in the Reading area
https://readingwalkinhealthcentre.nhs.uk/
Main concern is/should be, any injury sufferred when this happened. You have an underlying condition to also think about. Could the injury be hiding anything. You're the best placed one on here to answer that. Are the pins and needles in any way connected to the diabetes and the injury sustained?

For myself, I'd be phoning in to let them know that I'd not be turning in/up on Wednesday, and why. Walking on a damaged ankle, when it's not required is not advisable. If you have problems walking at the far point, how would you get back.

One method I was given to ease the pain & swelling was the ankle, foot included, into water as warm as I could stand then into water as cold as I could stand. Alternating ten minutes in each. Use your hand to decide how hot.

You've taken pictures of the bike. Now do the same for your ankle, as well as any other areas that were hit.

You want something to do whilst you're off your feet? See the first post in "Accident Advice". For that "Professional touch", consider using Vikeonabike's Statement Template, for everything to include, and how to word it. Real life schoolwork.

Just don't do anything stupid, like climbing over fences in the meantime.

I don’t actually know

@vickster also what exactly is a walk in clinic I’ve seen it around but never really known what it is.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don’t actually know

@vickster also what exactly is a walk in clinic I’ve seen it around but never really known what it is.
Essentially an appointment free clinic for more minor illness or injury than A&E for people who don't have access to a GP at the time needed (not registered, no appointment, out of hours)

How's the ankle now? Are you icing, elevating, using a compression support if swollen and painful...oh and staying off it as much as possible?

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

@vickster- The thing is I’m kind of afraid to because I what if it turns out to be bad. I’m afraid it’s going to prevent me doing my volunteering or going on holiday next month. But then if something’s bad and it doesn’t get sorted, my volunteering could make it worse. But my parents say to wait till Friday but I just can’t. I know my doctors. I could get their myself but you know what parents are like even though I’m 20).
Pictures:
Before
9EBED043-BD5A-4B0D-BF0D-5A380BE647C7.jpeg

Now
2F71C993-D775-4EA5-A22B-964FF0371F76.jpeg

Doesn’t seem like theirs anything obvious

vickster

Legendary Member
Give the volunteering a miss this week...and just get checked at the Dr on Friday, keep it up and use some peas wrapped in a teatowel as an ice pack in the meantime

If it was broken, likely you'd be black and blue, swollen and unable to walk at all. Assuming it's the left one, it doesn't actually look that different to the right?

The sooner you get it checked, the sooner you can get treatment if needed and the sooner it'll get better. If it's a sprain it could take a month or more to recover...assume you'll not be climbing Everest or similar on your holiday?

You've got right wonky big toes though And those nails need a proper trimming :whistle:
And you're a 20 year old woman, and it's summer...paint the bloody things :biggrin:

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
@vickster- The thing is I’m kind of afraid to because I what if it turns out to be bad. I’m afraid it’s going to prevent me doing my volunteering or going on holiday next month. But then if something’s bad and it doesn’t get sorted, my volunteering could make it worse. But my parents say to wait till Friday but I just can’t. I know my doctors. I could get their myself but you know what parents are like even though I’m 20).
Pictures:
Before
View attachment 469386
Now
View attachment 469387
Doesn’t seem like theirs anything obvious
Would you like to make it worse though?

If those you're volunteering for find out afterwards(assuming you don't tell them), I'd be suprised if they didn't say something after they found out. It's not as though you've decided just to not turn up.

Just keep an eye out for any bruising appearing. Any does, get a picture taken.

On the bike and police side, any progress?

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Give the volunteering a miss this week...and just get checked at the Dr on Friday, keep it up and use some peas wrapped in a teatowel as an ice pack in the meantime

If it was broken, likely you'd be black and blue, swollen and unable to walk at all. Assuming it's the left one, it doesn't actually look that different to the right?

The sooner you get it checked, the sooner you can get treatment if needed and the sooner it'll get better. If it's a sprain it could take a month or more to recover...assume you'll not be climbing Everest or similar on your holiday?

You've got right wonky big toes though And those nails need a proper trimming :whistle:
And you're a 20 year old woman, and it's summer...paint the bloody things :biggrin:

True and i don’t think so lol.
I know (my toes have always been wonky and not fully straight) and I’m more of a tomboy so I hate that girly stuff

Top Bottom