Accident this morning. Advice appreciated.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Isn't physio one of the things that can be a bit hard to get on the NHS?

I grasp your reluctance to make an insurance claim, and I might well feel the same way in the circumstances.

But if you are going to need a lot of out patient treatment, her insurers ought to know about it for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, they should cover any expenses.

Secondly, in the unlikely event your treatment is not as straightforward as looks likely, a claim underway now will stand you in very good stead if things don't go as well as predicted.

I see what you're saying. I think my reasons for not making a claim at this stage are:
a) I haven't actually been diagnosed with anything beyond bruising and swelling
b) I still don't know what the cost of repair to the bike will be
c) I don't know what the physio will say or how many appointments I'll need. It may be just one appointment.
d) As per some of the responses above, I can see that the accident stemmed in part from some of my actions re: choosing to filter and not cycling more slowly

I expect a report on damage to the bike within the next couple of days, and a phone-call back from the NHS about a physio appt later today. Based on the woman's response on the phone it sounds like anything upwards of £50 on bike repairs will result in me needing to make a claim. If that's the case I was going to make the claim when the report comes through in the next day or two, and mention the referral to physio at that point. My medical notes were updated this morning so there'll be evidence that I've reported my injury and sought medical attention.
If the bike report comes back as just a new mech hanger then I was planning to bill the lady for helmet and mech hanger and forget about any claim. Then if when I see the physio it turns out some longer-term treatment/multiple appts ar required, start a claim at that point.

It feels a bit weak and sketchy to me to ring an insurance company and say "I want to make a claim because I have some damage to my bike and some injury", to which I assume they would ask "What damage and what injury?" and I'd say "erm, not sure".

Am I being daft?

vickster

Legendary Member
I didn't decide to make a claim until I needed surgery and time of work. I'd been in my job for 3 weeks so no pay for 2 weeks

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I

Am I being daft?

No, quite the reverse, you are making a calm and rational plan to progress the matter.

Inevitably, there will be multiple contact with the insurance company, and they will want things done their way.

Early contact would get you both singing from the same sheet sooner rather than later.

For example, the insurance company may ask for multiple quotes, or may want to send an assessor, or may accept a single quote, or may ask for a pic, or may....

And that's just for the bike.

They may ask for a medical examination, or may not, they may offer to pay for treatment, or may not, or may want a letter from your doc, or may....

None of the above is a big problem, but the sooner you know what the insurance company requires of you, the sooner you will be able to comply with it, which in turn will make the claim as hassle free as possible.

Also, you are obliged to keep the cost of the claim as low as reasonably possible.

The insurance company may have ways of fixing you and/or the bike which are cheaper than you can access, but still get the jobs done to a good standard.

They cannot avail you of those services if they don't know you need them.

My suggestion would be to make that call sooner rather than later, although @vickster's experience is helpful because it tells you the option is still there to make the claim at a later date.

vickster

Legendary Member
You have 3 years to start a PI claim, 6 years for damage to property

There's no rush if you aren't sure or comfortable doing it. It is a slow process however especially if you are out of pocket. My OOP so far is around 2k, although I've not pushed for interim payment

vickster

Legendary Member
I see what you're saying. I think my reasons for not making a claim at this stage are:
a) I haven't actually been diagnosed with anything beyond bruising and swelling
b) I still don't know what the cost of repair to the bike will be
c) I don't know what the physio will say or how many appointments I'll need. It may be just one appointment.
d) As per some of the responses above, I can see that the accident stemmed in part from some of my actions re: choosing to filter and not cycling more slowly

I expect a report on damage to the bike within the next couple of days, and a phone-call back from the NHS about a physio appt later today. Based on the woman's response on the phone it sounds like anything upwards of £50 on bike repairs will result in me needing to make a claim. If that's the case I was going to make the claim when the report comes through in the next day or two, and mention the referral to physio at that point. My medical notes were updated this morning so there'll be evidence that I've reported my injury and sought medical attention.
If the bike report comes back as just a new mech hanger then I was planning to bill the lady for helmet and mech hanger and forget about any claim. Then if when I see the physio it turns out some longer-term treatment/multiple appts ar required, start a claim at that point.

It feels a bit weak and sketchy to me to ring an insurance company and say "I want to make a claim because I have some damage to my bike and some injury", to which I assume they would ask "What damage and what injury?" and I'd say "erm, not sure".

Am I being daft?

That's why taking advice from BC's lawyers is sensible. They may not get very involved if it's just a small amount for the bike, they make their dosh from long drawn out injury claims but getting their advice might be invaluable even just how to go about stuff

RichardB

Slightly retro
Shoulder injuries are nasty. I had a fall back in September (nothing to do with bikes or alcohol) and damaged my shoulder. It was incredibly painful and almost completely immobile. I went to see the nurse at the GP's a few days later and got a huge rocket for not going straight to A&E. I've now got about half the movement back and the pain is lessening, but it's taking a very long time. And I got an X-ray in A&E which showed arthritis in the joint. I had injured the same shoulder about ten years ago but didn't get any treatment, and now I have arthritis and will never be completely pain-free or have full movement - so get yours properly looked at and treated. And GWS, of course.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Shoulder injuries are nasty. I had a fall back in September (nothing to do with bikes or alcohol) and damaged my shoulder. It was incredibly painful and almost completely immobile. I went to see the nurse at the GP's a few days later and got a huge rocket for not going straight to A&E. I've now got about half the movement back and the pain is lessening, but it's taking a very long time. And I got an X-ray in A&E which showed arthritis in the joint. I had injured the same shoulder about ten years ago but didn't get any treatment, and now I have arthritis and will never be completely pain-free or have full movement - so get yours properly looked at and treated. And GWS, of course.

Thanks. It is easing gradually with each passing day. Got a physio appointment and only need to wait until next Tues, which I was pleasantly surprised at. Sorry to hear about your arthritis - my mum is riddled with that in her hands from a career as a typist so I know how horrible it can be. Thanks for your advice. Andy

RichardB

Slightly retro
Thanks. It is easing gradually with each passing day. Got a physio appointment and only need to wait until next Tues, which I was pleasantly surprised at. Sorry to hear about your arthritis - my mum is riddled with that in her hands from a career as a typist so I know how horrible it can be. Thanks for your advice. Andy
I have been having physio for the shoulder, and it's baffling me. I expected a set of exercises to restore movement to the joint, but instead my physio is giving me ab crunches and planks - stuff to build up my core, as he says the core supports the shoulder. And a lot of stretches for my hamstrings as I need to be more flexible. I'm no expert, and he could well be right, but I'd be interested to know what exercises you are prescribed, as the ones I am getting don't make much sense to me.

Julia9054

Guru
I have been having physio for the shoulder, and it's baffling me. I expected a set of exercises to restore movement to the joint, but instead my physio is giving me ab crunches and planks - stuff to build up my core, as he says the core supports the shoulder. And a lot of stretches for my hamstrings as I need to be more flexible. I'm no expert, and he could well be right, but I'd be interested to know what exercises you are prescribed, as the ones I am getting don't make much sense to me.
I had physio for my shoulder - problems caused by scarring in the joint from an old rotator cuff injury. I also had muscle strenthening exercises though mine were mostly focussed on my upper back and poor posture as well as core. Completely pain free for the last 2 years! And i only had 2 sessions!

RichardB

Slightly retro
I had physio for my shoulder - problems caused by scarring in the joint from an old rotator cuff injury. I also had muscle strenthening exercises though mine were mostly focussed on my upper back and poor posture as well as core. Completely pain free for the last 2 years! And i only had 2 sessions!
Sounds like me, then. I think the original (untreated) injury was a tear of the rotator cuff, and the X-ray showed irregularities in one of the bones which the doctor said were arthritis. The joint is a lot more mobile, but moving in certain directions gives a horrible grating feeling which you can actually hear. I can cycle fine, although it gets tired and painful after a while, except when I hit a pothole, when the shock up the arm can be quite , er, shocking. Good to hear that you are now pain-free. Long may that continue, and I hope I will get there too :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Mine crunches away, feels unstable, hurts like crazy around the shoulder and also down through my arm. I have to crunch it into place when I get up in the morning. I've been diagnosed with a posterior labral tear confirmed by MRI. It's being surgically repaired on 16 March, as about 9 months of physio hasn't helped. It was initially diagnosed as biceps tendinitis due to crummy posture, posture is indeed crummy but not the primary cause it seems

I had a sports massage on Monday to try to loosen up tight muscles that have gone crazy trying to stabilise the shoulder, ouch!

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
my physio is giving me ab crunches and planks - stuff to build up my core, as he says the core supports the shoulder. And a lot of stretches for my hamstrings as I need to be more flexible.
Those were exactly the exercises I have been doing of my own accord for the last few months to try to improve my posture and comfort/performance in the saddle. If by ab crunches you mean a sit-up style exercise you might want to be careful as I think (happy to be shot down here) there's lots of recent evidence to say they only work part of your core and can actually cause quite severe back/disc problems. I've been doing 'bicycle crunches' instead -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FGilxCbdz8

What kind of length/reps do they recommend for planking, out of interest?

I'll certainly let you know what exercises I'm prescribed. Cheers.

I had a sports massage on Monday
Not prescribed on the NHS I don't suppose? That would be a bonus if the physio books me in for a series of free massages....

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="EasyPeez, post: 4104793, member: 38443]

Not prescribed on the NHS I don't suppose? That would be a bonus if the physio books me in for a series of free massages....[/QUOTE]

@EasyPeez
No private. Cost me £22.50 for half an hour (a bit cheaper than usual). My private Physio will do trigger release, acupuncture/dry needling, ultrasound, exercises with me etc but in half an hour can only focus on one body part. The massage covered back, neck, shoulders, calves and hamstrings. Worth every penny if it makes me more comfortable especially at work

I've not had nhs Physio for many years but my understanding is that it is much less hands on being more time pressured than private. You'll get assessed and a sheet of exercises. The main stretch for my shoulder is the sleeper stretch

If you were claiming, you could get your private rehab paid for :smile:

Last edited:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
In the bike safe course I took they told us the story of the guy on a motorbike filtering up the outside like this who got dragged 100 yards back up the road by a driver who didn't even notice he'd taken him out and got him lodged under the front of his car. Dead, of course. You gotta be careful.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
I've not had nhs Physio for many years but my understanding is that it is much less hands on being more time pressured than private.
I see. Worth an ask I suppose, but I expect to be sent on my way with a sheet of exercises and nothing more tbh.

If you were claiming, you could get your private rehab paid for :smile:
Based on conversation with Halfords last night (both wheels need truing, new fork bung and mech hanger required etc) it looks like I will have to make a claim after all. I'm still only interested in getting back to where I was before the accident though, not out for whatever I can get, so unless the physio finds something problematic next week I can't see me pursuing private rehab. Been in touch with BC, who have been great. Cheers.

Top Bottom