Accident this morning. Advice appreciated.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
In the bike safe course I took they told us the story of the guy on a motorbike filtering up the outside like this who got dragged 100 yards back up the road by a driver who didn't even notice he'd taken him out and got him lodged under the front of his car. Dead, of course. You gotta be careful.

Jesus! How could anyone not notice that?! Was the course leader's take on it that you're in the wrong to filter? Or just making you aware of the risks?

RichardB

Slightly retro
Those were exactly the exercises I have been doing of my own accord for the last few months to try to improve my posture and comfort/performance in the saddle. If by ab crunches you mean a sit-up style exercise you might want to be careful as I think (happy to be shot down here) there's lots of recent evidence to say they only work part of your core and can actually cause quite severe back/disc problems. I've been doing 'bicycle crunches' instead -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FGilxCbdz8

What kind of length/reps do they recommend for planking, out of interest?

I was using ab crunches as a kind of shorthand. He calls it 'hollow body hold' and has me lying on my back with legs and arms off the floor for as long as possible. Start with knees up and elbows by ears, and extend as you get stronger. 30 sec to 1 min at a time, and as many times in a day as you can manage. It's pretty strenuous if you push yourself. The plank he gave me was on elbows and toes with bum in the air. so you feel the tension in the core, not the back. Not as bad as proper planking. Same timing and reps. Bicycle crunches look good. Will have a try.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
I was using ab crunches as a kind of shorthand. He calls it 'hollow body hold' and has me lying on my back with legs and arms off the floor for as long as possible. Start with knees up and elbows by ears, and extend as you get stronger. 30 sec to 1 min at a time, and as many times in a day as you can manage. It's pretty strenuous if you push yourself. The plank he gave me was on elbows and toes with bum in the air. so you feel the tension in the core, not the back. Not as bad as proper planking. Same timing and reps. Bicycle crunches look good. Will have a try.

Sounds good. Not sure what the difference is in what you describe and 'proper planking'? Is it the bum up bit, rather than creating a straight line with your body?

I had built up (over 6 months) to doing 90 secs x 6 with a 1 min gap in-between, 3 times a week for planks and bike crunches, plus 25 x 6 press-ups 3 times a week and some upper body bar work and leg stretches. It was definately all improving my posture and comfort in the saddle, plus some visual muscle toning bonuses were noticeable. 2 weeks off over Christmas plus however long it takes for my shoulder to heal though and I reckon I'll be back to square one :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
Speak to the Physio, there may be nothing stopping you doing the exercises. Depends what and where the issue is

Is it still improving?

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Speak to the Physio, there may be nothing stopping you doing the exercises. Depends what and where the issue is

Is it still improving?
My current shoulder pain and reduced mobility is definately stopping me - I don't need a physio to tell me that! It's improving each day but I have been in constant pain since Friday and was virtually immobile above the waist for the weekend. Confident it will be back to normal in another week or two, but still nowhere near up to press ups and planks! Cheers :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
No but the shoulder is a complex joint. My diagnosis has gone from biceps tendinitis to ac impingement to Labral tear, always possibly bly the cause of the previous diagnoses

Initially from the accident non specific soft tissue damage and bruising

The rehab will vary based on what is injured

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Jesus! How could anyone not notice that?! Was the course leader's take on it that you're in the wrong to filter? Or just making you aware of the risks?

I think he was just saying that there are drivers out there who will kill you and not even notice.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Finally got the bike back on Monday. New mech hanger, wheels trued, new bung in steerer, so nothing major but some labour time involved. Because it took so long to get sorted the nice mechanic at Halfords said he'd put it through as a free 6 week check. What are the chances?!

Anyway, I rang the lady to tell her the 'good news' just now and to say that it was just the saddle bag bracket (£16.50 inc postage) and new helmet (£35) that I needed replacing and she said she had followed my advice and spoken to the police and they had told her not to pay any money and to advise me to make a claim.

So now I'm out of pocket on new bits and have to put in a piddling claim. Also have a horrible feeling that in knowing I was dazed and didn't get any witness details she will have bent the truth when reporting the incident and I might have a job on getting her insurance company to accept liability.

Physio appt was useful. Problems with shoulder position and exercises given. They've asked me to go back in 2 weeks. Feeling well enough to get back in the saddle for a few miles for the first time today though :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Claim on her insurance, it'll put her premium up for years but I'd make sure you tell her this. Oh and I'd request an accident report from the rozzers too.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Claim on her insurance, it'll put her premium up for years but I'd make sure you tell her this.

I said on the phone that I was trying to be nice by not making a claim and that I thought that the impact on her premiums would come to more than a new helmet and bracket. Her response was that she wanted to follow police advice and that a claim "won't make any difference to me because I'm 47 and only pay £14 a month".
Expecting a drawn-out faff at best from her insurers now, possibly a contesting of the whole thing.

Oh and I'd request an accident report from the rozzers too
I have the incident number from when I logged it with them. As they didn't attend the scene I don't know what else they would have/be willing to give me?

vickster

Legendary Member
Get Leigh Day to send you the paperwork. You add the police incidence details in that

Claim for the injuries too, will have more impact on her premiums, does she know you were hurt?

classic33

Leg End Member
If a solicitor is now involved, I'd keep all contact with her to a minimum.
Police will have time of the incident, location and the names of those involved.

There will be a short period when you'll be out of pocket. Some seem to be aware of this, don't let it put you off. This is where the receipts are important.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Sounds good. Not sure what the difference is in what you describe and 'proper planking'? Is it the bum up bit, rather than creating a straight line with your body?

To me, a 'proper' plank is on toes and elbows with the back completely straight, and is (for me at least) very strenuous. I don't think I have managed a whole minute yet. The one recommended to me was with the bum in the air, and you can certainly feel the pull in your abs, but it seems to be easier on the lower back.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
does she know you were hurt?
I mentioned that I had a shoulder injury and was enrolled on a course of physio but wasn't looking to make a claim for that.

If a solicitor is now involved, I'd keep all contact with her to a minimum
Yeah, I only rang her yesterday because she'd given me to understand that she would be happy to pay for damages in cash if it was a small amount. Now she's changed her tune on that one I won't be contacting her again.

This is where the receipts are important
I have a receipt for my bracket but not the helmet as it's over a year old. Hopefully just photos of knackered items sent to the solicitor suffices when there are no receipts?

Police didn't tell her that. That's civil legal advice
You might be right, but when I made the initial incident report I asked the bobby on the phone if he could give me some advice and he was pretty free and easy with it, so I'm not sure.

Top Bottom