Accidents on club runs or group rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
So lets say for arguments sake, you are on a club ride and as the group slows down one person at the rear of the group doesn't and runs into the bike in front of him, thus causing some damage to that persons bike.

So should the person that caused the damage be expected to pay for all the cost of the repair, or maybe part of it or should that person with the damaged bike just accept that its part and parcel of riding in a group and not expect the person that caused the damage to pay anything at all?

And the second part to that question, should it make any difference as to which level of equipment is fitted to the damaged bike, so the huge price difference between components, for example:-

Tiagra rear mech = £25
Dura Ace rear mech - £150
Etap rear mech = £450

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't do club or group riding, but assuming it's purely an accident and not down to negligence/dicking about, I'd accept it as a risk of riding in this way, although maybe ask for a contribution assuming they've not offered?
Unless the person is insured for such eventualities, then I'd ask them to claim.
What do the club rules say if such exist?

lazyfatgit

This is why you need 3rd party insurance. Income protection and physio costs etc is also useful.

I wouldn't ride without it here, given the cost of medical treatment.

The last time my bike sustained damage, i wore the cost of the damaged derailleur. Emegency stop so couldn't really blame the bloke behind.

Might have taken different view in other circumstances.

vickster

Legendary Member
This is why you need 3rd party insurance. Income protection and physio costs etc is also useful.

I wouldn't ride without it here, given the cost of medical treatment.

The last time my bike sustained damage, i wore the cost of the damaged derailleur. Emegency stop so couldn't really blame the bloke behind.

Might have taken different view in other circumstances.
I'm not sure you'd be covered on a club run unless you have specific cover for such activities (which costs)

Regarding the cost of the parts, that's a decision you make to have. I wouldn't have a £450 mech unless I was confident I could replace it if damaged whatever the circumstances (although I'd claim against insurance if the person had it)

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
What do the club rules say if such exist?

There is nothing really specific about who should pay for what in the event of damage being caused. But these are our guidelines:-

Club runs are group rides taking place on public roads and as such, it is expected that all those taking part will obey the Highway Code and instructions given by the club run leader. Please ride sensibly, with thought for your own safety and that of other club members and road users.

• Be prepared:
    • Wear suitable clothing for the expected weather conditions
    • Bring suitable waterproofs if the weather forecast suggests they may be necessary
    • Carry appropriate tools and pump to fix a puncture (including spare inner tubes)
    • Take money for emergencies and for use in the café
    • Carry a drinks bottle and suitable energy bar or other food
    • Make sure your bike is in roadworthy condition, paying particular attention to tyres and brakes
    • Carry some form of ID and emergency contact details
  • Riders who are new to the club should make themselves known to the leader before the ride starts and should take particular care to carry ID and emergency contact details.
  • Most Sundays we have three club runs, offering a choice of distances and average speeds. Participants should join the club run that is most appropriate for their ability level. Faster riders may occasionally wish to ride with a slower group than they would normally join, but when doing so they should observe the pace of the ride and not overtake the leader and take care not to inadvertently increase the pace of the group.
  • Ride no more than two abreast, and be prepared to ride single file on busy or main roads, when passing other groups of cyclists, or at any other time when instructed to by the leader.
  • No single group should exceed 15 riders. If there are more than 15 riders on any club run the run should split into two distinct groups of roughly equal sizes, leaving a sufficient gap between for any vehicles to pull into safely.
  • We aim to maintain a steady pace within the guide average speed range for the club run. We do our best not to leave anyone behind but a reasonable rate of progress needs to be made and participants should ensure that they are self-sufficient and able to complete the ride alone if necessary.
  • The leader should not be overtaken unless he/she has consented and in this case those riding ahead of the leader should take care to continue to maintain the pace set by the leader. In order for those riding ahead of the leader to be able to judge the appropriate pace, no more than two riders should ride in front of the leader.
  • Those riding within the group should be aware of riders that are behind and should immediately warn the leader if anybody has ‘dropped off the back’. It is particularly important for those riding in the middle of the group to warn the leader if a gap develops.
  • When in the group, ride at a steady pace in tight formation. Follow the wheel in front, and always consider that there will be other members of the group following your wheel. Do not accelerate or brake suddenly.
  • Good communication is vital when riding in a group. For the safety of everyone in the group, riders must not use earphones of any sort on our club runs.
  • When cars or other vehicles are trying to pass the run they should only be called on by the lead riders, and then only when the road ahead is clear and suitable for overtaking. It may be necessary to single out to allow traffic to pass safely.
  • Where possible indicate to other riders any obstacles on the road, such as pot holes, parked cars, pedestrians, glass or other debris.
  • When encountering horses, slow down, communicate with their riders, and then pass in single file when it is safe to do so. Do not shout, or undertake any action that may startle the horse.
  • Please remember, we are all ambassadors for our sport and pastime of cycling, and as such we should always consider our behaviour towards other road users and the impression of us they take home.
It is important to understand that, when you go on a club run, you are not being ‘taken out’ by an organiser who is responsible for your safety and well-being. You are part of a group of individuals on a joint excursion, each of whom tacitly accepts the risks inherent to group cycling on public roads, some of which may be poorly maintained or slippery. Club run leaders determine the route, take names of participants and are welcoming, but they are not responsible for rider safety.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Been involved in a few fender benders when I rode with the club. You accept the risk that accidents do happen. Kind of inevitable when riding two inches apart from each other and some people react faster than others.

As far as I'm concerned, if you ride in a group you should accept the risks of doing so, i.e you are more likely to crash than riding on your own. A couple of years ago I crashed after someone at the front of the group did something that bought down the rider in front of me which resulted in a smashed Dura Ace brake/shifter (and very bruised ribs). shoot happens, live with it.

Jody

Stubborn git
I'd see it similar to a track day with your car, that you accept the risks of riding in a group and are comfortable with that risk. Its not nice for the person who got shunted and maybe come to an agreement with the person who hit them. If it was me at fault I would feel obliged to offer help with the repair.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'm of the mind that if you can't afford to crash it, don't bring it to a race or club run.

OT: At last years AGM Cycling Ireland actually removed the ability for members to claim off other members, such was the annual cost of claims*. The insurance provided as a member is now third party only and personal injury.

*Majority of which were in A4 races, the Irish Island equivalent of Cat4

Top Bottom