Accidents on club runs or group rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I wouldn't bet on it...it's a bit like expecting all coppers to be good drivers.

The problem there is people assume all coppers get superior driver training, then become all indignant when they see a copper driving badly.

They don't. Many are no better trained than the average Joe Public, so its unreasonable to expect them to drive any better than the average Joe Public.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A near accident I recorded yesterday from one of my local clubs. Not even a sorry shouted out to us as we were grabbing handful of brakes and taking evasive action.

2018-07-16_11-42-44.jpg
2018-07-16_11-43-19.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That’s as maybe but it won’t hurt for the mob to be reminded not to be tossers
In my experience, you'll be lucky to get that these days, rather than whoever's answering the club's email replying with abuse and pointing out that they didn't hit you so it doesn't matter and the centre line is advisory... but I hope I'm wrong about that this time. Please let us know how you get on @Milkfloat.

screenman

Legendary Member
Idiots and thugs on bikes.

Brandane

Legendary Member
They don't.
I appreciate it varies from force to force, and changes over time - but when I did my Police driving course back in 1986 it was 3 weeks of pretty intensive stuff. Full commentary required, no dawdling or speeding, and quite a hard test to pass. That was just to drive your everyday panda car - Traffic Officers were taken to Tulliallan for a 3 month residential course.

Drago

Legendary Member
Nope, none of that any more, though twas the same in my heyday. Response and response/pursuit drivers get a 2 or 2.5 week course to the national syllabus, which is massively beyond civilian 'advanced'such as IAM trot out. RPU and firearms get advanced (or Class 1 as it was when I did it) and other skills such as TPAC. Your average grunt who drives quietly from A to B, and non response departments such as CID etc, get an hour of two of assessment, not training, just to be sure they're not utter slavering loons.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In my experience, you'll be lucky to get that these days, rather than whoever's answering the club's email replying with abuse and pointing out that they didn't hit you so it doesn't matter and the centre line is advisory... but I hope I'm wrong about that this time. Please let us know how you get on @Milkfloat.

They have a Facebook page if anyone wants to bring this to their attention. I won't, because I find it difficult to keep it civil with nobbers like that.

To be fair, they got back to me very quickly.

“I have forwarded this to the relevant Committee members so we can send a little general reminder to our members about using the correct side of the road. Looks like a close one..”

I am happy with that, it is certainly the first time I have seen bad riding from them and I am sure I am not always perfect.

Top Bottom