Accie's fake Rolex.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I never looked to see the original post, in fact I thought I was in the Mens Dress Style thread, which also isn't Accie's :wacko:

Big things about to happen in that thread. I'm expecting a new jumper tomorrow, turn on your notifications, people.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I saw this the other day in the jewelers selling that watch I had/have my eye on. I went back in today to have a look round and took some pics of this magnificent clock. I asked how much it was and thought they said £1,300, but on asking them to repeat it, I heard £13,000!! :ohmy:

_jfyAz&tn=ZvjVuoX8FvnTFXCo&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=hEHApvHVmAQAX8kDAaP&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=k9uY-WYBQxMAX84SMwf&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

1SdAo86ScTWiOMGSCzCDTz5z7w&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
So many watch fans on cyclechat. Watchfinder had clearly done their research when they sponsored cycling coverage a few years ago

Oh Christ, I’d happily forgotten about that advert they used to show. The guy looked like he could barely ride a bike. Unless you’re Julian Alaphilippe you’d be daft to wear anything expensive on a ride.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Oh Christ, I’d happily forgotten about that advert they used to show. The guy looked like he could barely ride a bike. Unless you’re Julian Alaphilippe you’d be daft to wear anything expensive on a ride.

Wasn't Mark Cavendish contracted to wear that £400,000 Richard Mille watch while racing, as an ambassador for the brand?
As an aside, I always wear my watch on the inside of my wrist, ever since a dog ran out between parked cars when I was cycling in Brixton over 40 years ago, took out my front wheel and dumped me on the road, smashing my beloved Seiko.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Big things about to happen in that thread. I'm expecting a new jumper tomorrow, turn on your notifications, people.

Any news?

mustang1

Legendary Member
Battery powered unfortunately

Although I have a preference for automatic watches, I also like battery powered ones too. Some people say the "soul" of the watch is missing if it's not an auto but I think a watch is more than just the movement: there is the case shape and finishing, dial type, colours, the sculpture of the hands, the hour markers. The type of bracelet or strap is also something to consider, polished, partially polished, type of leather, and so on.

Tag Heuer, Hamilton, Longines et al make wonderful battery and auto watches.

Although I have a preference for automatic watches, I also like battery powered ones too. Some people say the "soul" of the watch is missing if it's not an auto but I think a watch is more than just the movement: there is the case shape and finishing, dial type, colours, the sculpture of the hands, the hour markers. The type of bracelet or strap is also something to consider, polished, partially polished, type of leather, and so on.

Tag Heuer, Hamilton, Longines et al make wonderful battery and auto watches.

I've given up on battery watches... Long story short, the Seiko quartz I've worn almost daily since 1994 began to eat batteries just before Covid hit, and with everything shut I couldn't get that sorted. Largely didn't bother wearing a watch during lockdown, but when I needed to, resorted to a wind-up Omega tank that I'd picked up on a jumble sale for 50p of all places...

Picked up the Gradus (automatic) on the 'bay to replace the Seiko as a daily wearer / beater and haven't looked back. The Seiko remains batteryless / unrepaired.

IHMO mechanical watches are kinder on the environment and you don't have to worry about batteries being used up while not wearing them. Just wind and go or wear and go, couldn't be more convenient or more practical. Yes, they do require maintenance, but with proper care, my small selection of mechanical watches will outlive me. Plus there's the satisfaction of giving something a second life.

P.S. I'm lusting after a 1970s cushion-cased Longines... :blush:

mustang1

Legendary Member
I've given up on battery watches... Long story short, the Seiko quartz I've worn almost daily since 1994 began to eat batteries just before Covid hit, and with everything shut I couldn't get that sorted. Largely didn't bother wearing a watch during lockdown, but when I needed to, resorted to a wind-up Omega tank that I'd picked up on a jumble sale for 50p of all places...

Picked up the Gradus (automatic) on the 'bay to replace the Seiko as a daily wearer / beater and haven't looked back. The Seiko remains batteryless / unrepaired.

IHMO mechanical watches are kinder on the environment and you don't have to worry about batteries being used up while not wearing them. Just wind and go or wear and go, couldn't be more convenient or more practical. Yes, they do require maintenance, but with proper care, my small selection of mechanical watches will outlive me. Plus there's the satisfaction of giving something a second life.

P.S. I'm lusting after a 1970s cushion-cased Longines... :blush:

But at the same time, if the auto watch needed servicing during covid, then that would not have worked out either. Actually, even without covid, an auto watch will be away for service for several months (but I suppose that's only every 10 or 20 years).

About the environment friendliness of quartz watches, they have the tiniest batteries ever. Some of them are a pita to change though. And anyway, every 2 or 3 battery changes, you can change the gasket to keep the water proofness.

Anyway, yeah, I prefer autos (although the GS quartz are bloooooody nice).

Top Bottom