Ache in arm/wrist/hand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Been doing my simple on/off 9 mile track a few mornings now, and Ive noticed that Im getting an ache in my left wrist area. I say area as is a bit of the arm that is next to the wrist, the wrist and the bottom of the hand by the wrist. Almost like a bone ache.

Any ideas? Just general unfitness?

EdgEy

Do you have front sus?
If not, probably best to get a pair of padded gloves - can get a decent pair for less than a tenner, cuts out a lot of the vibration.

It may be leaning forward a bit too much and putting weight on the wrist.

OP
OP
LosingFocus

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Thanks EdgEy. Got front sus (well, full sus) and padded gloves on! Not sure about putting my weight on it, as its my left wrist and if anything I put more pressure on the right. Very odd.

Cringles

I've had this before to. Only in my right wrist. Too the point, that sometimes I get slight ''pins & needles'' in my hand. But it only ever happens the odd time on, 40 mile rides.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I've suffered from this a bit and find that the doing all of the following stops it:
  • I always wear padded gloves, even though I now have cycling mitt tan lines!
  • I avoid holding the handlebars too tightly and if it's safe to do so, loosen my grip so that all the muscles and tendons are relaxed
  • Look at the position of your wrist and arm as you're cycling - I find that it helps to keep them in a straight line
  • Following on from the above, I've adjusted the angle of my left gears and brake levers so I use minimum force to change gear with my thumb
If it doesn't go away, go and see your GP!

Philk

If you start to feel that your left is getting weaker, go see the GP, as this with the symptoms your describing fit Carpal tunnel syndrome.
I suffer from this and found that sitting more upright helped alot.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
If you start to feel that your left is getting weaker, go see the GP, as this with the symptoms your describing fit Carpal tunnel syndrome.
I suffer from this and found that sitting more upright helped alot.

It could well be Carpal Tunnel... I had an op last year on my left thumb & have problems with my CP ever since... Excat sort of symptoms you've described - I have also found that riding one of my bikes makes it worse, can't even feel my left hand for days after a long ride, so no more drops bars for me :sad:

snailracer

Über Member
Probably too much weight on the hands. Human arms/hands aren't really built for supporting weight, not since humans started walking upright, anyway :smile:.

You can reduce weight on the arms by moving the handlebars up and/or back towards your torso, or sliding the saddle towards the rear of the bike.

OP
OP
LosingFocus

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
I fitted some bar ends today (been meaning to for a week or so anyway), so will see if moving my grip about will help.

Thanks all!

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I have had my bike tweaked & adjusted, tried every angle with the drops, had bits altered, thicker bar tape, gel padding, new bits added, tried 3 differenet stems - For short rides i'm ok, but anything over 35 miles or more than about 3 hours leaves me in agony.
But I can ride my MummyTrailerTowing bike all day - with a good 10 stone on the back & not have a problem, So have sadly had to accept that riding on drop bars just isn't me for me any longer...
My Dawes is now listed on Ebay & i'm picking up a Spesh Sirrus Elite next week

snailracer

Über Member
Flat bar? Try ergonomic grips - they help your wrists stay straight, worked fairly well for me but not as well as raising the bar 6 inches and fitting swept-back bars.

Top Bottom