Acknowledging fellow cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
When cycling was a geek sport and there were far fewer of us about I never passed another rider or riders who were fellow enthusiasts (And it was east to tell at just a glance, as any old codger here will tell you) with out an exchange of greetings. We all felt we were sharing a secret that wasn't understood by the population in general and there was a strong affinity between those of us who were. I once struck up a long friendship with someone sharing the same train carriage when I noticed him reading Cycling magazine.

There are so many cyclists about now that I don't feel any particular connection with someone just because they are on a bike.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I will usually wave or something (even though I be wearing lycra and looking all serious-like) to various people who I guess may not be seasoned riders but who I'm delighted to see out enjoying the open road on a bike of whatever description. The more the merrier !

I will always talk as I approach any horses, lest they mistake me for a mechanical agent of doom or whatever.

And, given the propensity of those unused to the joys of walking to launch themselves across the road if they cannot hear a car coming, I have started saying good evening to pedestrians too.

mkmark666

There's a lot new cyclists out there right now. My hope is that by showing what a friendly bunch we are, when they are back driving their cars, they'll be more inclined to views us a human beings and not some annoying obstacle to squeeze past at the earliest available opportunity

Also hope they carry on riding too. The more bikes out there, the better!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
If I'm out in the middle of nowhere, I'll greet almost everyone I see, regardless of their (or my) mode of transport.

Dog-walking folk are consistently the rudest, as in the least-likely to respond.
(I don't have a mutt)

Joggers are next, but they're lungs are bursting out their chests, so they're not rude.
Cyclists are a pretty friendly bunch.

kj92

I want to put a slight twist on this topic by asking, would you always offer assistance to a cyclist in distress or only certain ones :whistle:
I mean... I could only be the skivvey to go to the nearest bike shop as I don't have any spares or knowledge on my bike 🤷🏼‍♀️

But I'd be happy to help if I saw anyone "broken down" as it were!

JPBoothy

Veteran
I mean... I could only be the skivvey to go to the nearest bike shop as I don't have any spares or knowledge on my bike 🤷🏼‍♀️

But I'd be happy to help if I saw anyone "broken down" as it were!
I am always afraid of sounding like a bit of a patronising know-all so the offer has to be carefully worded. A lone female can be a tricky one too in this day and age where chivalry is not always welcome.

kj92

I am always afraid of sounding like a bit of a patronising know-all so the offer has to be carefully worded. A lone female can be a tricky one too in this day and age where chivalry is not always welcome.
... I'm trying hard to de-code this one 😂 do you mean help from a woman whose bike isn't broken isn't always welcome, or do you mean it's tricky to offer help to a lone woman in case it's recieved in the wrong way?

Please clarify 😬

roley poley

Veteran
I believe the correct etiquette is to call "boots" and if the chap is a gentleman he will reply "spurs" just keepin it owiginal in I like wot it shud be

JPBoothy

Veteran
... I'm trying hard to de-code this one 😂 do you mean help from a woman whose bike isn't broken isn't always welcome, or do you mean it's tricky to offer help to a lone woman in case it's recieved in the wrong way?

Please clarify 😬
Ha Ha, yes I meant offering to help out a lone women whose bicycle has broken/punctured etc.. The local plod (and my wife) may have something to say if I start approaching lone females for no apparent reason who don't even have a bike.

screenman

Legendary Member
I want to put a slight twist on this topic by asking, would you always offer assistance to a cyclist in distress or only certain ones :whistle:

Yes, live backing into a Sustrans route and have given out at least 20 inner tubes to people I see pushing their bikes over the years, in fact likely more. I have had a nice thank you letter once, and despite most promising to return another new one or pop some money back none have.

kj92

Ha Ha, yes I meant offering to help out a lone women whose bicycle has broken/punctured etc.. The local plod (and my wife) may have something to say if I start approaching lone females for no apparent reason who don't even have a bike.
I mean.. innocent assistance wouldn't go amiss but it sounds a little dodgy as to why the rozzers and your missus would also then be involved 😂

Top Bottom