Admit your ignorance - things you've only just realised/learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cut and paste, the last resort of a lazy scoundrel
I would nevr type something that I could cut and paste, especially because my keyboard is iffy. See 3rd word in the previous sentencee, which I left uncorrectd. Ha-ha - and the 2 others there!

Alex321

Veteran
It used to wind me up at school if I asked a teacher how to spell a word and they would tell me to look it up in the dictionary. How can I when I don't know how to spell it?

You will usually know enough to be able to find it in a dictionary. The words where people have difficulty with the first few letters are quite rare.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You will usually know enough to be able to find it in a dictionary. The words where people have difficulty with the first few letters are quite rare.
Things like oestrogen and oesophagus would catch some UK people out if they tried to spell the US way by leaving the 'o' off the start of the word.

It took me a while to realise that GERD and GORD are the same medical condition (Gastro-(O)Esophageal Reflux Disease).

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Things like oestrogen and oesophagus would catch some UK people out if they tried to spell the US way by leaving the 'o' off the start of the word.

It took me a while to realise that GERD and GORD are the same medical condition (Gastro-(O)Esophageal Reflux Disease).

I always have to think carefully when typing/writing 'manoeuvre'.

Omit 'o' for US spelling, says Google.

GuyBoden

Guru
View attachment 720208
Lauren Bacall comes close

Have another look at Gene Tierney.
Q0FcZuBMLslOwEJiO04A75pnLdkwe1IC0t15JO8ffdwbIQY8iF.jpg

Except in Welsh - because the tense and stuff can change the first few letters

I think they do it to confuse the English

Which I also believe is why there is a signpost to Dwygyfylchi off the A55!

I used to live close to this and as far as I am concerned it is fair enough - even though I don't speak the language (long story - booked on 6 different courses and couldn't attend any of the - most cancelled some were my fault - such as getting a job unexpectedly!)

Top Bottom