Admit your ignorance - things you've only just realised/learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I've just realised that "this little piggy went to market" doesn't mean it went shopping.

I'm 57.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've just worked out what else it could mean. And now I'm very distressed. And it's your fault.
I remember my sister asking where meat came from when we were kids. Our mum told her and she then refused to eat meat for over 10 years! The only reason that she started eating it again was because she was anaemic when pregnant and her doctor advised her to.

Analogue cheese is nothing to do with your music or Wi-Fi. Apparently the term means that a bland cheese has been adulterated with flavour chemicals to imitate a more flavoursome genuine variety

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Analogue cheese is nothing to do with your music or Wi-Fi. Apparently the term means that a bland cheese has been adulterated with flavour chemicals to imitate a more flavoursome genuine variety

I thought analogue cheese was cheese-like non-dairy cheese substitute. Like "vegan cheese". So basically not cheese at all.

But I could be wrong.

I thought analogue cheese was cheese-like non-dairy cheese substitute. Like "vegan cheese". So basically not cheese at all.

But I could be wrong.

I stand corrected. You have the right of it. I took it from this portion of Tim Spector’s book

Frozen pizza is designed to last for years in a $150 billion world market propped up by analogue cheese, a term for any pseudo cheese that contains ingredients that mimic or blend with the original at lower cost.

This is generally made from partly hydrogenated vegetable oil, casein, vegetable protein, binder, stabiliser, emulsifier, emulsifying salt, acidulant, salt, colourings, flavourings, preservatives and water without using starter culture or rennet.

Good-quality cheese can be melted without major changes to nutrients, whereas boiled and frozen cheese analogues have less calcium and produce strange fat combinations. Countries vary on how analogue cheese is labelled, but a 2016 survey of British pizza takeaways found one in four were selling analogue cheese as real mozzarella on pizzas.-

and muddled it with a comment on the previous page. Sounds disgusting either way…

Good-quality cheese can be melted without major changes to nutrients, whereas boiled and frozen cheese analogues have less calcium and produce strange fat combinations. Countries vary on how analogue cheese is labelled, but a 2016 survey of British pizza takeaways found one in four were selling analogue cheese as real mozzarella on pizzas.-

I think the confusion here is entirely down to mixing ANALOGUE* (the noun) with ANALOGUE (the adjective). They have very different meanings.
Thus the meaning of "cheese analogues" is easily guessed. But "analogue cheese" sounds like wibble - and in my opinion IS wibble!

*I think the "ue" ending makes no difference.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/analog

Top Bottom