Advice about how I pedal please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Cleats right back should help, which may mean you will have to adjust saddle height and fore and aft. Good shoes, eg Sidi, are expensive but such an important part of the kit imho. I was helped by being told to focus on pedalling from the knee, and forget about calves, ankles, feet. Found thinking about it this way was much easier, and more relaxing.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It might be cleat position. It might be soles not rigid enough.

If perhaps you are using road shoes with SPD pedals, that could be a problem. Touring or MTB shoes, with a thicker sole that surrounds the cleat and bears on the pedal cage, might help.

gbb

Legendary Member
It may simply be you'e bunching your toes, keeping them too tight, nothing to do with shoe size, just too much tension in your toe and foot muscles.
It happened to me when I switched to clipless. I still wear the same shoes with the same cleat position...i had to force myself to relax the feet when pedalling. It worked for me after a few rides.

mangid

Guru
I suffered with hot foot, and for me it was the width of the shoes. I tried moving the cleats, that didn't help. I tried special insoles, little do dads that were supposed to push the bones apart giving the nerves room, all to no avail.

I did buy Shimano wide fit road shoes, and there did seem to be plenty of room. But after 3-4 hours, especially on hot days the pain would become pretty excruciating. My winter boots, which aren't a specific wide foot are never a problem, and I can ride 6-7 hours in them.

So, I've just invested in a pair of Lake wide fit CX237's, and, touch wood, they have been really comfortable.

I think my right foot might have a Morton's neuroma, there is a definite tough area, and I can feel some slight discomfort even before cycling, but I've been on several 6-7 hour rides and I've not suffered any hot foot issues, so it's looking pretty good.

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
Thank you everyone. I've never heard of hot foot.
You have all given me plenty to think about.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Deffo check cleats aren't too far back or forward. Get comparing with your 'winter boots'. Cleats slightly in the wrong place will cause pain in the balls of your foot - I've even done it myself with new shoes.
It could be the summer shoes are thinner so your effective saddle height has changed , altering cleats can help fix it.
I used to get hot foot with cheap shoes , moving the cleat back certainly helped but now i avoid muddy fox and aldi /lidl specials .I have the same issue with shimano M065s to a degree as the cleat plate is visible if you remove the insole even though the insole is thick i just dont feel right in them so i always go for something where you cant see the plate from inside.
Currently having a nice time with Northwave scorpius shoes although they are definetly a summer shoe , i do have some northwave spike evo shoes that are more of a allround shoe but went for the same size as the scorpius and could have gone a size smaller as the latter has a bigger toe box and had to fit thicker insoles to get a half decent fit .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Shimano M089's. They're cheap now...
Tried them on instore and didnt like them for the same reason i dont like M065s , and my boat width feet means the toe box is tight on me in shimano`s

I am tempted by these ....https://www.decathlon.co.uk/xc-500-mtb-shoes-black-id_8500162.html
big_7a92890e-be26-4c01-8c44-b0429ac4393a.jpg

Top Bottom