Advice on a bike (Felt B12 2013)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Free2Rhyme2k

Hi all,

I'm new here. I enjoy riding bikes, but I have very little knowledge about bike tech and performance. I have a 2013 Felt B12, having being given it by a friend last year. I rode it a few times and it felt pretty decent. My question is, are there any obvious upgrades that I could make? I guess as a secondary question, is this bike any good...and if not, should I just flog it and get something new?

_15_01_39_03573d5ec3e036c09a9936e09b21f7c699f19b74.jpg

Bike Specification Frame Details:
  • Model Year: 2013
  • Material: Felt Aero TT/Tri UHC Performanced MMC carbon fibre Frame with 3KP Weave, InsideOut internal molding process, aluminium BB30 shell, internal electric or mechanical cable routing, carbon fibre dropout & aluminium rear derailleur hanger
  • Double bottle cage mounts
  • Braze on front derailleur
  • Replaceable forged aluminium rear dropout
  • Internal Cable Routing
Fork Details:
  • Felt Aero TT/Tri UHC Performance monocoque fork; 100% carbon fibre blades, dropouts with aluminium 1.125" steerer tube & crown
Wheel Details:
  • Felt TTR3
Groupset:
  • Speed: 20 gears
  • Bar Shifters: Vision Metron TT
  • Brake Levers: Tektro Aero
  • Chainset: Vision TriMax Pro TT BB30, 52/38T; 51cm=170mm, 54cm-56cm=172.5mm, 58cm-61cm=175mm
  • Bottom Bracket: FSA BB30
  • Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
  • Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
  • Brake Calipers: Felt Integrated Aero with cartridge brake pads
  • Chain: FSA Team Issue 10-speed
  • Cassette: Shimano, 11-25T

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s a dedicated TT bike and looks like it’s been used for competition, I’m guessing by your friend. It’s a high end bike with top quality frame CF frame and top line components, built only for performance.
Ate you comfortable riding it? It’s not meant for general road use but could be used for such. Not much you could do to upgrade, but I’m not much of an expert on these types of bike.
You might be happier on a conventional bike like a road bike or a hybrid but I guess you don’t want to offend your friend by selling it. It’s over to you.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
A bike is personal and doesn't need to cost a zillion quid. The bike would be utterly useless to me, no rack, trailer hitch and hideous to look at. For others it is the epitome of grace and style. If you want to use it as transport no but it looks suited as a dress in lycra and race round a track bike.

I'm still trying to work out if that is a cat door or just looks like a cat door on the wall. Seems a huge distance for the cat to fall or climb up to.

What amazing bike to get as a freebie. If you feel its not quite right for your use, clean it up really well, do some amazing photos of it and get it sold for the maximum price. Then buy perhaps a good secondhand bike more suitable for your use. Maybe it is the right bike for you but to me it looks like using a McLaren sports car to trundle down to the local supermarket and your get your weekly shop. I wouldn't really have a use for such a bike because I don't do performance cycling, just leisure cycling, trips and commuting. A bike for me is a cheap way of going places and enjoying the journey and feeling in touch with where I ride plus the increase in fitness. I'm not a competitive cyclist at all. I would definitely try to ride other bikes to see if you prefer them.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's a decent frameset, looking similar to the NeilPryde Bayamo I've recently built. The bars on yours look very high though; I'd suggest swapping the large spacer found.

Value-wise time trial bikes don't hold their value well due to needing the latest performance machine, so I'd suggest about £450-500 as it does look well-used.

First upgrade? Wheels. Those are basic non-aero wheels and a deep section front / deep section or disc rear will make a decent difference in terms of pace on a time trial. There's lots of budget 10 speed TT wheels available as riders want the latest kit and older 10-speed ones are cheaper.

Mine, with the saddle still to be sorted:

NeilPryde Bayamo.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm still trying to work out if that is a cat door or just looks like a cat door on the wall. Seems a huge distance for the cat to fall or climb up to.
I have a similar one at my house, where due to patio doors etc, the only feasible cat exit was a tunnel through the brickwork. Mine has a strategically placed large box under it to act as step.

OP- nice bike if you are into TT-ing. Not so good if you arent.

rivers

How far can I go?
It's a TT/tri bike, which is great if you enjoy time trials and/or triathlons. They're not great for much besides going fast in a straight line if you will. I bought a TT bike over lockdown. It's great for time trialling. I did have to use it for commuting for a couple of weeks after my commute bike was stolen and my summer bike was in the shop for a service/waiting on parts. It was not great for commuting. Unless you're on a training ride with friends on their TT bikes, it's not great for social rides.
If you want to give TTing or triathlons a go, keep it for a bit and test it out. If neither of those things are your jam, flog it and get something more suited to the style of riding you do like.

Top Bottom