Advice on spd shoes/cleats/pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colonisticcs

Hello!! Got a road bike for xmas and want to go clipless. I have used Clipless pedals before but not that clued up on all the technical aspects. Going with Shimano but would just like to know if any brands of spd shoes will be compatable with an spd sl pedal?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
mtb shoes will probably not work.
just make sure you get a 3 screw holes in the sole in a triangle formation.

If you are not bothered about weight then the Shim R-540 spd-sl pedals are the way to go,otherwise the Ultegras are £60 odd but a lot lighter.

You want yellow/black cleats (which are usually chucked in with the pedals so check) as these allow for a bit of float.

Shimano shoes are notoriously difficult to size properly - if you can,try a pair on before you buy or check for any sizing issues on the sellers website re other makes.

OP
OP
C

colonisticcs

accountantpete said:
If you are not bothered about weight then the Shim R-540 spd-sl pedals are the way to go,otherwise the Ultegras are £60 odd but a lot lighter.

You want yellow/black cleats (which are usually chucked in with the pedals so check) as these allow for a bit of float.

Shimano shoes are notoriously difficult to size properly - if you can,try a pair on before you buy or check for any sizing issues on the sellers website re other makes.

thanks for the info guys, i have some of the R-540 pedals on the way with the cleats. Just trying to find cheap but pratical shoes now.
I see what your sayin about the triangle Gaz, Thanks very much

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
colonisticcs said:
thanks for the info guys, i have some of the R-540 pedals on the way with the cleats. Just trying to find cheap but pratical shoes now.
I see what your sayin about the triangle Gaz, Thanks very much

The dhb shoes from Wiggle get good reviews and dont cost a fortune.Also the sizes are correct.Order the same size as your normal shoes.(You would think that goes without saying but some makes dont for some obscure reason)

georgiebuzz

Its a bit late now for the pedals but I use the Shimano A-520 pedals with Shimano Road Touring Shoe - RT51. I use a touring shoe rather than an out and out road/race shoe so I dont ruin peoples laminate floor if I go around on my bike (the cleat is proud of the sole of the shoe on road/race shoes).

Top Bottom