African school

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Received some photos from my son today, a while ago the company he owns made a donation to help build a school in Angola , he flew out on Monday to go see it and meet the local dignitaries, he’s decided to stay another week to help with a local charity.
What’s the point of this post…. Just to say I am bloody proud of him..

dane1.jpg

dane2.jpg

dane3.jpg

dane4.jpg

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Received some photos from my son today, a while ago the company he owns made a donation to help build a school in Angola , he flew out on Monday to go see it and meet the local dignitaries, he’s decided to stay another week to help with a local charity.
What’s the point of this post…. Just to say I am bloody proud of him..

View attachment 663688

View attachment 663689

View attachment 663690

View attachment 663691

Rightly so.

Education is vital in providing people with opportunities.

CharlesF

Guru
That looks like a typical African school, great that he can see donations actually being used as intended.

The kids will be fun, and should put on a good display of dance, hard to keep up with! They are so enthusiastic!

Congratulations to your son, some pictures of improvements will be interesting.

markemark

Über Member
Even the poorest of countries should try and invest in education as it’s one of the best returns of investment. You are rightly proud of your son.

I'm especially pleased to see a good crowd of girls there. It is SO very important to get the girls established in education, and to keep them there during adolescence. It helps reduce the rates of child marriage, increases the age of first childbirth and improves all the prospects of health and well-being for the woman and her future family the longer she stays in education.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm especially pleased to see a good crowd of girls there. It is SO very important to get the girls established in education, and to keep them there during adolescence. It helps reduce the rates of child marriage, increases the age of first childbirth and improves all the prospects of health and well-being for the woman and her future family the longer she stays in education.

Agreed.

I went to Ghana a few years ago to do the same thing, at a school built exclusively at girls. This was because boys got preferential treatment in all things but particularly education so the charity set up a boarding school to educate one girl from each family in the area, with the intention that that girl could then teach her new skills to her sisters. Having an education also reduced the risk of them being used as farm labour, or married off at 13/14 years old and expected to have children.

Words can’t describe the joy these girls showed at having the chance to learn how to read and write, do mathematics, computing, and play games. They were highly disciplined, eager and attentive.
There were free evening classes too for the local adults who also embraced the opportunity to learn. I remember they would dress in their finest suits and dresses just to come to the English classes, such was their respect for this chance to be taught.

The school started small but now has over 200 students, from P1 upwards (this is not based on age but academic ability, so you can have 6yr olds and 12yr olds in the same class). Teachers are all Ghanaian, earning the same salary scales as paid to teachers of government schools. None of the Scottish charity staff takes any salary, only those Ghanaian staff directly associated with the school are paid; teachers, cooks, security.

It’s one of the best things I’ve ever done and I would recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity.

Agreed.

I went to Ghana a few years ago to do the same thing, at a school built exclusively at girls. This was because boys got preferential treatment in all things but particularly education so the charity set up a boarding school to educate one girl from each family in the area, with the intention that that girl could then teach her new skills to her sisters. Having an education also reduced the risk of them being used as farm labour, or married off at 13/14 years old and expected to have children.

Words can’t describe the joy these girls showed at having the chance to learn how to read and write, do mathematics, computing, and play games. They were highly disciplined, eager and attentive.
There were free evening classes too for the local adults who also embraced the opportunity to learn. I remember they would dress in their finest suits and dresses just to come to the English classes, such was their respect for this chance to be taught.

The school started small but now has over 200 students, from P1 upwards (this is not based on age but academic ability, so you can have 6yr olds and 12yr olds in the same class). Teachers are all Ghanaian, earning the same salary scales as paid to teachers of government schools. None of the Scottish charity staff takes any salary, only those Ghanaian staff directly associated with the school are paid; teachers, cooks, security.

It’s one of the best things I’ve ever done and I would recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity.

The other big problem - as well as general discrimination and harrassment, of course - begins when a girl starts her periods.
Without adequate facilities for basic hygiene and privacy in the school, and unable to afford western-style disposable sanitary protection, what is a girl who only has access to dried grass, bits of old paper and a few rags (if she's VERY lucky) do, for a week in every month?
Why, stay off school of course. And drop out after she's fallen behind or missed some exams.
Hence the charities which supply washable, reusable sanitary protection kits (one of them has a small factory making them, now, in Zambia IIRC), the importance of Water-aid and the 'twinning' of school and village latrines with the toilets in church buildings (and elsewhere for all I know ...) in the UK - and probably in much of Europe too.

Top Bottom