Albums from 1985 that still sound good today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

I've got 3 of that list - Kate Bush, Talking Heads and Run DMC

For me the 80s were pretty dire times musically

Reactions: TVC

accountantpete

Brexiteer
None for me - I'm far too old.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The Sisters and Dire Straits could fark off in 1985 and I've not changed my mind about that. And Tears for farking Fears.

I still listen to some of those; Raindogs and Psychocandy in the last few years, bits of Nations Saving Grace, Robert Wyatt, The Replacements, Prince, Alex Chilton

Reactions: TVC

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Just two from the list and listen to both on a regular basis.

Killing Joke - Night Time
Husker Du - New Day Rising

I currently have my vinyl (only) copy of Night Time on my turntable & t'other on both vinyl & CD ...

Have a couple of the others , though nowadays don't like psychocandy as much as in the day

I've got a few;
Kate Bush 'Hounds Of Love'
Tom Waits 'In The Neighbourhood' 7" single (sure that came from the included Rain Dogs LP??)
WaterBoys 'This Is The Sea'
Lloyd Cole & The Commotions 'Easy Pieces' (totally wonderful)
Dire Straights 'Brothers In Arms (first ever recording released for sale, on CD release, wasn't it??)
The Pogues 'Rum Sodomy & The Lash'

As for the ABC offering, I much prefer (the, earlier, Trevor Horn produced) 'Lexicon Of Love'

How about the 5 LP box-set from Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band 'Live 75-85'

I was also really hoping to say 'Guitar Town' by Steve Earle & The Dukes, but that was 1986

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have a good half a dozen of those. I listen to the Dire Straits one fairly often. Hubster loves it and its on CD in the car. I was bought the Sade album by a boyfriend at the time. I can't say that I've listened to it more than half a dozen times though.

I have:
Dire Straits
Suzanne Vega
R.E.M
The Waterboys
Talking Heads
A B C (not as good as Lexicon of Love, which I still listen to)
All of which I bought for myself, plus the Sade which was bought for me.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I still have 29 of them and probably still listen to at least 15 of the artists now. With the advent of "shuffle" i tend not to listen to albums as a whole but as an all in mix or mix of a certain type of music.

From the list I bought-
Talking Heads – Little Creatures
Prefab Sprout – Steve McQueen
Tears For Fears – Songs From The Big Chair
Everything But The Girl – Love Not Money
Grace Jones – Slave To The Rhythm
a–ha – Hunting High And Low

Not bad considering some on the list.
I think only Tears for Fears is a bit dated now but the others are not bad still.
I am surprised Everything but the girl were on the list. I seem to remember being the only person who had ever heard of them at the time.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Some cracking albums, I remember buying New Order-Low Life from Watford Our Price like it was yesterday! Probably got 10 of the others on the list still in my collection
I remember queing in Canterbury Our Price for the Waterboys then popping into Athena next door to get a Kandinsky poster.

OP
OP
T

TVC

I am surprised Everything but the girl were on the list. I seem to remember being the only person who had ever heard of them at the time.

But were you a student? Every student house had to have a copy.

For me, Psychocandy is better on vinyl, I got it again on CD and it sounds a bit sanitised. The dirt, the growl and the feedback were the whole point of it.

Top Bottom