Aldi Alarm Lock - Any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Armegatron

Hi all,
Im thinking of getting this for when I start commuting to uni in a few months. It will complement an Abus cable type lock and a cheaper D-lock which connect together via an extension cable wrapped multiple times round the frame. I will either attach this to the extension cable & frame or hide it somewhere on the frame / wheels as a last ditch effort to provide some security.

Im just wondering if anyone else has bought it and if its any good?

http://aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_13072.htm

Thanks,
Mike

The keys look a bit naff. I've had similar keys shear and get stuck in the lock.

There are some on Amazon and chain reaction(one review, I think) too, bit more money. Same shape.

I don't know if it was on here but someone recommended one to me, like you I was going use it as a extra, I did wonder about where I could position it to stop it being muffled.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

Just an update. I bought it and it does seem quite decent, weighty though. I wouldnt trust it as a lock on its own, but the siren is quite loud and would certainly cause people to look over at the thief. It is muffle-able but by the time the thief has caused it to go off hopefully he'll be struggling with one hand over the speaker and one cutting the other locks ;)

To arm it you unlock it and the top part of the lock removes. Turn this 180 degrees with the flat notch facing the key and the alarm is active. A beep will let you know its on. It takes 15 seconds to arm. Any knocks will cause it to go off for 30 seconds but gentler movements seem to be ignored unfortunatly.

Had an issue with the keys not going in, so I put a tiny dribble of gt85 on a key, inserted it and it freed it up.

You get 3 keys with it, batteries are replaceable.

Ill try and post a video review on youtube or something this week.

Defiantly worth £8 from Aldi.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I had a look today as I thought about one for the shed. They are big, perhaps the right size to lock a spoke to the frame/fork. That would stop someone jumping on and riding off, but from what Mike says, clipping through the spoke might not make it go off. Shame they aren't a little larger then they could be used like a "Dutch Lock"

bikelock.jpg

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

mr_cellophane said:
I had a look today as I thought about one for the shed. They are big, perhaps the right size to lock a spoke to the frame/fork. That would stop someone jumping on and riding off, but from what Mike says, clipping through the spoke might not make it go off. Shame they aren't a little larger then they could be used like a "Dutch Lock"

Ive bought another for the shed too :smile:. I tried to use it around the wheel and tyre to stop someone riding off but I think my tyres are just a smidge too tall for that. I have the day off today so Ill crack on with doing somekind of vid review.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cheers for that - missed this thread. Will be handy for inside my garage - one bike D locked to the concrete floor, one cabled to a wall anchor, and the kids bikes cabled, although the 'lock' is a bit crap......

Top Bottom