Aldi cycle clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Forgot to add, the reflectives are much better quality, so shouldn't peal off as easy, and they are better placed.

Rando

Veteran
I purchased the performance cycling jersey and some socks from Aldi this morning. I was the only person in the store looking at the cycling clothing where as normally for these type of one offs for cycling gear it would be very busy. I wanted the performance jacket but the XL i tried on was too short in the arms and couldn't find an XXL. Aldi sizing is always a bit inconsistent I find as the jersey I purchased was in XL and fitted great in the arms and body.
It was a pain having to take the stuff out of the boxes to try on for size and then try and repackage them again - much better just to have the stuff loose or hanging up but then I suppose the packaging is trying to add to the 'performance' image.

400bhp

Guru
Picked up the bibs and the shirt (not the jacket). The shirt is a mid weight top, so OK for days like today. Was a windproof front, but not arms (the softshell jackets have windproof arms) so I'd say 5 degrees plus. Fit is much better that previously, with no baggy chest !

Bibs, good coolmax pad, good fit and the windproof panel in the correct place over the knees and front of thigh. Looks a little odd as it's like a matrix pattern, but they are overall good. Zip is a bit short - not so sure of the point of it. Picked medium from the box, and although the tag said medium as well, the printed on sizing on the back of the garment said small. Good side is they fit well. No baggy material !

The clothing is boxed and taped shut, so you can't really see the garments.

Happy with my £48 spend.

The lad on the tills said they were selling well.

I went in this morning. I think the stuff looked very very good and if I was in the market for winter bib longs, mid season jacket, socks etc I would have bought them. As a very very broadbrush comparison with my Decathlon windproof longs (which are £60 odd RRP IIRC) they aren't as good but worth paying 50% less. The jacket looked better than an Altura mid season top I have. The jackets look a snug fit so if you'ra bit on the large side I'd think you'd struggle to get in them.

Base layers (tops and longs) look good. Longs have a mesh around the knees which would hopefully make knee travel a little easier. Non bib longs are good too and windproof. I would have got a pair for commuting but I would want non padded (to wear over shorts so I can wear numerous commutes in the week).

I didn't think much of the shirt to be honest. It looked quite thin and the one I pulled out of the box didn't have great stitching.

I got a base layer top which i'll try out at the weekend.

No-one looking at the cycling stuff when I was in there at 8am. They won't sell out of the jackets or tops quickly-the base layers and bib shorts will go I suspect.

400bhp

Guru
It was a pain having to take the stuff out of the boxes to try on for size and then try and repackage them again - much better just to have the stuff loose or hanging up but then I suppose the packaging is trying to add to the 'performance' image.

+1

D

Deleted member 20519

A new Aldi opened down the road from me, lots of cycling stuff in stock again.

Venod

Eh up
I got one of the new Jackets ( thought it was a bit expensive for Aldi :smile:) a much tighter fit than the original jackets, I had to get a large. I got a medium in the old style, I don't think it will be as warm as the old style ( a bit too warm for me) but I like the fit better, so I have put the last one I bought up for sale,

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/crane-jacket-medium.144107/

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The current stuff is what you would call 'race fit' - i.e. it's snug. I perfer it over flappy material though. I'd have prefered the jersey to have windproof arms, but it's lighter weight overall than the autumn soft shells which are really good in close to zero.

The bibs will do as an extra pair for commuting in the cold - I've already got Decathlon Biemme Windproofs but this gives me spares when stuff is on the radiator drying. Worth £30 quid though.

Lincov

Is there women's stuff too? The posters only show a man..
Nope, there's no women's stuff, I was pretty unimpressed after taking time out my day to go along. It's not clear in their promotional material either. And it's just clothing so I couldn't even indulge in some other kit to justify my visit!

chugsy

I got the jacket as all my jersey jackets are a bit baggy since I lost a couple of stone this year. I was dubious as to it's protection against the current cold temps but was pleasantly toasty when I got to work today - it was combo'd with a cheap L/S fleece. The true test will be tonight on my return leg - I've packed my old faithful Aldi winter softshell in case the new one is not up to the job! Normally I wear medium/large - went for the large which is very snug. The front is cut high to avoid bunching up whilst riding so big bellys beware I guess?!!! I had to tuck my fleece into my shorts as not to look too silly. The arms are very long so I have a little excess there. 3 very decent pockets that feel secure even without zips (and a 4th zipped pocket for keys.

I passed on the baselayer top as it has a high neck - didn't think my melon head would squeeze through and I don't like tight things around my neck/throat. The bottoms I dithered about as I'm currently cycling in 3/4 shorts combined with cheap long johns which are doing the trick so it seemed like unneccessary expense. Almost bought the socks but returned them for 2 pairs of thick work socks instead.

potsy

Rambler
After initially saying I didn't like the look of the bib-tights I decided to go today and see if they had any left.
Luckily they had a few bits left including my size in the bib tights and base layer longs, decent enough kit for the money, and for once I got them home and the fit is perfect :thumbsup:

Will try the tights out on Sunday and use the long base layer for underneath my normal summer tights when commuting for extra warmth :cold:

Top Bottom