Aldi cycling offer from 30th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Not cycle gear, but I picked up a dinky 3AAA led torch for the shed.
Magnet+hook, narrow+wide beam, rotate+swivel body, for just sick squid.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/lightway-rotating-led-torch/p/084147218873600

Picked up the Cree rechargeable bike light set today.

View attachment 432432

I'll probably give the rear light away since I already have two on the bike and it's no better than either of them.

The plastic hook on the rubber band just popped off after I tried it on the bike. I managed to find it again but without the hook it is useless. You cant use zipties because it has to be recharged.

15385496427371954982665.jpg

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The plastic hook on the rubber band just popped off after I tried it on the bike. I managed to find it again but without the hook it is useless. You cant use zipties because it has to be recharged.

View attachment 432601

I haven't lost any bits but on mine the light popped off the rubber band as soon as I tried to switch it on. I only bought the set to get the rear light - because I wanted USB charging rather than the batteries of the cheaper ones. I'll be putting the whole set in the donations box at the charity bike shop.

And a note on the folding bike stand I also got - I managed to push the locking pin inside the frame while assembling it. I've replace the pin with the allen key and it works well enough. At least as well as you'd expect for something so cheap.

Hopefully nothing will go wrong with the gloves!

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
All this stuff is covered by warranty if you still have the receipt. Sometimes if you don't have the receipt you will get it resolved too. Worth trying. Shame it's not been better quality gear as I am still using some kit bought three or more years ago.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
All this stuff is covered by warranty if you still have the receipt. Sometimes if you don't have the receipt you will get it resolved too. Worth trying. Shame it's not been better quality gear as I am still using some kit bought three or more years ago.
Probably more. Most of the Aldi offers stuff has been worse than the lidl shop's for at least five years IMO.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Probably more. Most of the Aldi offers stuff has been worse than the lidl shop's for at least five years IMO.
Agreed - I don't rate either's stuff much any more. Quality down. price up. IMO There was a golden period about 10 years ago - remember their cycling shoes? And given their insane policy of excluding a large part of the cycling community by not offering 'small' sizes, I don't bother anymore. I'm visiting Aldi today and if they have any merino socks left I'll probably buy a pair, but otherwise …….

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The nylon/merino mix socks seem quite good. Have mine on today.
Bought a couple of pairs. Quite a selection of other stuff still available.

D

Deleted member 26715

yes I was in a store last night they had loads of stuff left, picked up their £2.99 front/rear lights as back ups, as I went out the other nght thinking my main light battery was in my bag & wasn't

I'm now watching for them reducing the price in store to clear the old stock - usually happens 3 or 4 weeks after the items go on sale.

;)
ah the old Aldi poker game.

Particular stores, possibly in less trendy areas, are particularly good for this.

Care to recommend any?

I did weaken, and despite my certain aversion to USB lights, buy the USB charged rear light. Mainly because I thought it might prove handy for touring.

On unpavcking it and firing it at my eyes, rather impressed. Good selection of mounts. Even if my gamble that they were cateye compatible proved unfounded.

But a bit concerned on reading the small print that it should only be recharged from a charger pumping out 1 amp. Many of my chargers pump out 2 amps. Including my two Anker powerbanks.

Can anyone tell me if this is likely to be a problem?

It would be a drag to have to take on tour, amongst my ton of junk, a special 1 amp charger just for this.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country

I know & I have the receipt. I just can't be bothered to go back - I'd need to make a special journey. As I said I'll donate the lights elsewhere. Someone else may have more patience with them.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
ah the old Aldi poker game.
Particular stores, possibly in less trendy areas, are particularly good for this.
Care to recommend any?

I did weaken, and despite my certain aversion to USB lights, buy the USB charged rear light.
But a bit concerned on reading the small print that it should only be recharged from a charger pumping out 1 amp. Many of my chargers pump out 2 amps. Including my two Anker powerbanks.
Can anyone tell me if this is likely to be a problem?

The one nearest me (York Rd) can be a bit hit and miss, but they still seem to have lots of this last lot of cycling stuff in stock, so fingers crossed.
The ones on Cardigan Fields (Kirkstall Road) and at Lincoln Green (Regent St) are both usually fairly good for decent pickings - but these are all in Leeds, so probably not much use to you ^_^

The one in Pontefract has always seems to have lots of reduced stock in on the odd occasion I've been there, but it's a bit far to go on the off chance (and also probably no use to you), although it might be OK for @Richard A Thackeray

Regarding the charging I hadn't noticed this either, although I've already charged it a couple of times from a mobile phone charger and it seems OK - no idea of the amps though. I can vouch for it as a 'daytime' running light as I had it on for about 6 hours last Sunday on the lowest flashing setting and it was still going strong when I'd done.

The one nearest me (York Rd) can be a bit hit and miss, but they still seem to have lots of this last lot of cycling stuff in stock, so fingers crossed.
The ones on Cardigan Fields (Kirkstall Road) and at Lincoln Green (Regent St) are both usually fairly good for decent pickings - but these are all in Leeds, so probably not much use to you ^_^

The one in Pontefract has always seems to have lots of reduced stock in on the odd occasion I've been there, but it's a bit far to go on the off chance (and also probably no use to you), although it might be OK for @Richard A Thackeray

Regarding the charging I hadn't noticed this either, although I've already charged it a couple of times from a mobile phone charger and it seems OK - no idea of the amps though. I can vouch for it as a 'daytime' running light as I had it on for about 6 hours last Sunday on the lowest flashing setting and it was still going strong when I'd done.

Not too far away, it's the proverbial 10 minutes drive, but I've not been in for ages
We have a local Lidl, that sometimes has items

Top Bottom