Aldi gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most stands will clamp the cable or indeed hinder it. Don't worry about it. Just service the rear brake when not in the stand.

MaxInc

I got the ALDI stand but not extremely impressed with it. The metal tubes and frame are very sturdy but the joints are made of heavy duty plastic / bylon that flexes quite a bit under load. Don't think you would be able to hang the bike by the seat post without permanently deforming or breaking the plastic clamp.

I tried it with the MTB which needed a fork service. Bike weights about 14-15kg. Installed balanced by the fame tube seems stable enough although turning the pedals and braking the rear weel makes the whole structure very very woobly. the part when I got concerned was when I removed the front wheel and then the heavy fork, the weight of the bike twisted the clamp heavily by some 30 degrees and pried it open. I had to rebalance the bike on the stand but only temporary until I fitted the fork and wheel back when the oposite happened.

Overall is not bad value but not a great stand by any means, especially for heavy bikes. I can't imagine it sustaining 30kg bike, but for a lightweight roadie it may be enough.

I got the ALDI stand but not extremely impressed with it. The metal tubes and frame are very sturdy but the joints are made of heavy duty plastic / bylon that flexes quite a bit under load. Don't think you would be able to hang the bike by the seat post without permanently deforming or breaking the plastic clamp.

I tried it with the MTB which needed a fork service. Bike weights about 14-15kg. Installed balanced by the fame tube seems stable enough although turning the pedals and braking the rear weel makes the whole structure very very woobly. the part when I got concerned was when I removed the front wheel and then the heavy fork, the weight of the bike twisted the clamp heavily by some 30 degrees and pried it open. I had to rebalance the bike on the stand but only temporary until I fitted the fork and wheel back when the oposite happened.

Overall is not bad value but not a great stand by any means, especially for heavy bikes. I can't imagine it sustaining 30kg bike, but for a lightweight roadie it may be enough.
Just hang on to the receipt as it is guaranteed for 3 years.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Tool kit for the hell of it and a stand, the stand looks well solid for my fettling so that's what I'm going try the week.
We glanced at the toolkit but figured that it would be made of toffee-metal for that price. Have you given the tool kit a go yet?

boybiker

Guru
We glanced at the toolkit but figured that it would be made of toffee-metal for that price. Have you given the tool kit a go yet?

Tool kit looks similar to the lidl one which has been ok for my needs at home just don't lever too hard etc. They are good for the money if used with care imo.

Just assembled my stand and used it to clean the chain on my less than light weight Dawes hybrid and am more than happy.

SamC

We (me and my other half, not the Royal 'we' :laugh:) got the stand, took kit, overshoes, merino jersey, commuter shorts and a pair of sunglasses between us.

Although I'm no expert, the tools seem ok for the price. They possibly wouldn't last long with daily, heavy use, but then that's not what they're designed for. The commuter shorts look really decent for the money, as are the sunglasses.

I also got the sunglasses with the interchangeable lenses that Aldi have had in for a few weeks. They look weird on my face so I got a new pair from the cycling range yesterday, which also look weird (but slightly less weird than the others). I think I'm just going to have to accept that I'm never going to look cool in cycling glasses and move on with my life :laugh:.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

If the joints are that bad I can see how it would be a problem supporting a bike that way. I don't have one of the Lidl/Aldi stands (I've got one of these), mine is a telescopic alloy job with a tool tray and QR skewers on all adjustable parts. It copes easily with holding the bike by the seatpost.

GC

Nick Stone

The tool kit will be fine, it will join my fettling kit that I've already got, but now got back up for the car and take on trips etc. as people have said for every so often fettling it's fine, it ain't a pro kit, but then again I don't think it claims to be

G3CWI

Veteran
Just assembled (and used) my new bike-stand. Very happy with mine. Spent a happy hour fettling and cleaning. I hung my bike at the balance point which seems to be the most sensible way of using a cheap stand. Pro gear costs pro prices.

Top Bottom