Alfine Hub Gears and Belt Drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
bwen considering various options for a winter commuter, now I’ve got in the habit of riding to work.

One particular bike, that I have always liked the look of, now comes with the option of an 8 Speed Alfine hub gear and belt drive.

Has anyone got any experience of these, both good and bad, by any chance?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Ooh, what's the bike?

My Raleigh Nightflight with Alfine 8 hub had the option of belt drive but it was another €300 which seemed a bit steep.

As for the Alfine hub, I've done about 13,500 miles on mine now and it's been great.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
It’s the Cannondale Bad Boy. Just liked the look of it when they first cane out. Don’t know enough to consider buying one, but was intrigued by the hub gearing and belt drive nonetheless.

What’s it like in comparison to more conventional shifting like Ultegra for example?

bwen considering various options for a winter commuter, now I’ve got in the habit of riding to work.

One particular bike, that I have always liked the look of, now comes with the option of an 8 Speed Alfine hub gear and belt drive.

Has anyone got any experience of these, both good and bad, by any chance?
I rode a Trek Soho to work for 9 years until I retired. It was belt drive and nexus 8 speed hub gears. 22 mile daily round trip. Fantastic bike. Virtual nil maintenance. Could change to any gear when at a junction or moving. So great for hassle free pulling away at traffic lights. Belt drive was superb for the purpose. Mending rear wheel punctures was a bit more involved but only had one as I put puncture resistant tyres on and slime inner tube. On wet days (and many of them where I live in the Pennines) I could just put it in the shed on return home with no chain to wipe or clean.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I tried a belt drive Bad Boy at my local bike shop.

The belt made a drumming noise, particularly when I applied my not-very-max power.

It's the sort of noise you would either stop hearing after a while or it would drive you nuts.

The hub's change was good, better than my Alfine 11.

As with all Shimano hubs, not the widest of ranges so worth checking if first is low enough and top is high enough for your needs.

Fitting a mudguard to the single leg front fork is a bit more complicated, although the bike shop told me they managed it for one customer.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I tried a belt drive Bad Boy at my local bike shop.

The belt made a drumming noise, particularly when I applied my not-very-max power.

It's the sort of noise you would either stop hearing after a while or it would drive you nuts.

The hub's change was good, better than my Alfine 11.

As with all Shimano hubs, not the widest of ranges so worth checking if first is low enough and top is high enough for your needs.

Fitting a mudguard to the single leg front fork is a bit more complicated, although the bike shop told me they managed it for one customer.
That’s very interesting about the noise. It would be a non starter for me that tbh.

The range of gears would be important as I have a good climb and a lovely descent on different hill on the commute.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That’s very interesting about the noise. It would be a non starter for me that tbh.

The range of gears would be important as I have a good climb and a lovely descent on different hill on the commute.

How steep are the hills?

First gear on my hub isn't as low as I'd like for my last hill on the way home but then I'm not as young or as fit as I used to be. Top gear is good for about 25mph on the flat, I spin out not much above that. That might have bothered me five years ago but now I'm nearing retirement I like to just take things a bit easier. The next bike is likely to be electric!

keithmac

Guru
I have Gates Carbon Drive and it's silent, possibly the wheel was not centered correctly on the bike with the drumming noise.

It's been a godsend and maintenance free, checked it the other day with the Gates app after 2 years of commuting (3000 miles?) and it was spot on (50hz).

The Cube looks nice!.

I've got a "hybrid" mtb I've built with Nuvinci rear hub but unfortunately can't have belt drive due to the frame.

Would have no hesitation in buying another Gates Carbon Drive bike.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
How steep are the hills?

First gear on my hub isn't as low as I'd like for my last hill on the way home but then I'm not as young or as fit as I used to be. Top gear is good for about 25mph on the flat, I spin out not much above that. That might have bothered me five years ago but now I'm nearing retirement I like to just take things a bit easier. The next bike is likely to be electric!
Varies between 3-14% on way in, with average of 3.5%. Way home is 3-11%, but average is a touch higher at 4.2%. Both are about 1.4 miles long.

I tend to use the 52:11 on the bit between each hill as it’s a decent length of almost flat bypass. Also on the downhills. I tend not to use the 28 and so the lowest gear I use is 36-25.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

When last in Scotland I spoke with a couple of touring cyclists from Holland who each had belt drive/Rohloff bikes.

The lady said she was pleased with the belt, but commented it made a noise in the wet.

She queried that with the shop and was told a lot of belt drives bikes do that.

The bike I rode was dry, it may not have been set up correctly but I suspect it was.

The main point seems to be a belt drive bike is not necessarily silent.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
When last in Scotland I spoke with a couple of touring cyclists from Holland who each had belt drive/Rohloff bikes.

The lady said she was pleased with the belt, but commented it made a noise in the wet.

She queried that with the shop and was told a lot of belt drives bikes do that.

The bike I rode was dry, it may not have been set up correctly but I suspect it was.

The main point seems to be a belt drive bike is not necessarily silent.
I am just intrigued at this point. Not even read anything about them, outside of this post. I just liked the idea of a Winter bike that requires very little regular maintenance. I couldn’t ride a noisy bike though, wet or dry.

Top Bottom