Also off my bike for a while... I think... now definitely!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm going back to work after 2.5 weeks (before I see surgeon, to a desk job) as a contractor I can't afford to be off longer. I don't expect it to be easy though (my physio thought I should be off for 6-8 weeks :ohmy: ). Probably depends on the nature of your job and also which arm (mine is dominant right)

I would assume at least 8 weeks off bike. Although my case is different as its a repair and not a scrape, and it is posterior upon which cycling places far more stress apparently...the surgeon was very specific about this when we first discussed the surgery knowing I'm a cyclist

With past knee operations I've been back on bike within 6 weeks, 3 months though following tennis elbow repair

Reactions: AM1

AM1

I'm in the motor trade where there is no such thing as 'light duties', so I'm not going back until I'm ready!

With my case I had 2 choices, either do nothing and let the excess calcium build up and rub it's way through the tendon or have it scraped, so no choice really because if I left it I would have an even bigger problem

It's strange that when I'm riding the bike I have little or no pain, it's only when I'm lifting, pulling, pushing that the pain kicks in which I cannot live with any longer because I'm doing those movements day in day out

Hope everything goes well for you!

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Yes I did thank you, trying to be positive!, my consultant has stated no driving for 2 weeks then go back to see him after week 3 and take it from there although work are expecting me back in week 4, we shall see about that, I'm determined not to be off my bike for very long though!:training:
I drove my car exactly 14 days after my (same) op and felt distinctly unsafe - I actually left it another few days before I tried again. I'm afraid you will find the position you need to be on your bike will be difficult for a while, you can't lean comfortably on your arms, and if the road is bumpy you feel it really badly You also need to be able to react quickly and look over your shoulder. I have a recumbent which I rode instead, but even then I couldn't do much. Sorry to be a downer but you mustn't put too much strain on it or you could end up with a frozen shoulder, which I did, which is hellish.

You'll probably be fine, just listen to your body!

AM1

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well I've been done, I was booked in as a day case but had a couple of complications so didn't get home till very late last night , apparently my heart BPM dropped below 40 which gave the anethetist a wake up call, I also became very dehydrated so my advice is to make sure you have plenty to drink the night before

To early yet to say if it has been a success but fingers crossed

vickster

Legendary Member
Wow that's bloody compared to mine :ohmy:. Appears to be a lack of steristrips which may explain it though. I can take my steristrips and dressings off today as the week has passed

Heal well :smile:

AM1

If it's to graphic I'll delete it lol

vickster

Legendary Member
Doesn't bother me :smile:

My dressings are off, tiny holes with bruising around...giving some indication of the brutal reality of arthroscopy :ohmy:

Did you have a nerve block? How's the pain?

AM1

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Doesn't bother me :smile:

My dressings are off, tiny holes with bruising around...giving some indication of the brutal reality of arthroscopy :ohmy:

Did you have a nerve block? How's the pain?

So 4 days on and the dressings are off, seem to have 4 holes, 2 with stitches and a huge bruise on my bicep ( stop sniggering, I'm only skinny lol )

vickster

Legendary Member
Ouch! I have 3 almost healed tiny nicks on my shoulder :ohmy: like the one on the top of yours. Some bruising around the portals but you look like you've been in the wars. I'm guessing they had to stitch because you bled a lot? No holes down my arm, different surgical technique or location of the bit to fix I assume. Did the surgeon tell you exactly what he had done?

Lots of pain still though especially in my bicep and with certain movements :sad:

And last night was my first without an opiate and I didn't sleep very well!

When do you start at the gym to rectify all that bicep wastage ;):training: :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I just had the hydrocolloid dressings, no stitches. Had to replace one as there had been a bit of blood build up, but the over the counter ones are the same. They were off in two weeks and I was riding the bike upto 10 miles. Week 4 I did a 40 miler (with a blooming big hill in it) and week 6 was back to commuting.

Getting dressed was a challenge and reaching behind me. 4 years on and my shoulder is now perfect, but give it a good 18 months before it will be 100%. You'll get to near 90% quickly, but honking the bike up a big hill will be sore for some time.

Top Bottom