Also off my bike for a while... I think... now definitely!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
The slow recovery progresses...I'm at around 17 weeks post op, saw the surgeon for follow up in the week, and I'm about where he'd expect at this point, says 6 months is expected for recovery

Cycling quite a lot, 103 miles in the last week, but about 30 a day is my limit right now, partly due to fitness I'm sure!

Went swimming for the first time, managed around 16 lengths of breast stroke, knackered! Crawl is my stroke of choice but that was a very painful no no! The breast stroke was certainly working the bingo wings in both arms!

I've managed to use the rower at the gym, but the shoulder does complain

Still taking naproxen (but off the opiates pretty much) and continuing to be tortured by the physio

vickster

Legendary Member
Bit of a major bump for this! Unfortunately, I haven't regained anywhere near a normal range of reach behind my back. I'm told what I now have is average but is way off the normal of my other arm. I've had lots of physio, done lots of exercises, but have made minimal progress over the last few months :sad: The physio and exercise should have freed up the tightness in 6 -8 weeks, it's been 8 months since the op!

So I'll be having a capsular release and clean out just before Christmas, someone may have to chop up my turkey and unwrap the quality street for me!

The injury claim crawls along - about 6 months and still haven't seen the expert, probably just as well given the lack of recovery!

I'm possibly on target to hit 1500 miles on the bike this year, but it's going to be tough (not least due to dodgy knee and foot) (about 120 to go)

Katherine

Guru
Bit of a major bump for this! Unfortunately, I haven't regained anywhere near a normal range of reach behind my back. I'm told what I now have is average but is way off the normal of my other arm. I've had lots of physio, done lots of exercises, but have made minimal progress over the last few months :sad: The physio and exercise should have freed up the tightness in 6 -8 weeks, it's been 8 months since the op!

So I'll be having a capsular release and clean out just before Christmas, someone may have to chop up my turkey and unwrap the quality street for me!

The injury claim crawls along - about 6 months and still haven't seen the expert, probably just as well given the lack of recovery!

I'm possibly on target to hit 1500 miles on the bike this year, but it's going to be tough (not least due to dodgy knee and foot) (about 120 to go)
How frustrating for you. Good luck with the operation. Well done for getting out on the bike, I'm sure you will meet your target.

Slick

Guru

Wow, sounds like you have had a time of it with this. What is capsular release, I assume it's more key hole? Nothing more frustrating when something like this strikes, I know, but at least your on the bike and on schedule to hit your distance target. Good luck with the rest of your rehabilitation, hopefully next year you will be fully fit.

Slick

Guru
Got to be honest, I would always go for any procedure that offered the slightest chance of more movement less pain. Good luck.

vickster

Legendary Member
Got to be honest, I would always go for any procedure that offered the slightest chance of more movement less pain. Good luck.
Yep, gaining about a centimetre if that of range a month when I'm 6 inches short of the other arm is rather frustrating :smile:

Slick

Guru
I know it's far from the same, as my problems are muscular, my joints are surprisingly in good order(touch wood). My muscles on the other hand tend to tighten and twist in all sorts of interesting ways. I had to change my job, but weekly trips to a good osteopath seems to be enough to keep me going as long as I put in a bit of effort to do the exercises I'm given. The point is, I know what it's like to get your movement range restricted, it's just much easier for me to get it fixed, even if it's only temporary.

vickster

Legendary Member
This is a soft tissue or scar tissue I think, the bones in the shoulder are ok (unlike my knees)

Top Bottom