Alternative to a Bell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was looking for an alternative to a bell on my bike as they seems to startle pedestrians and cause them to move into your path, when all you want to do is tell them you are coming.

I have tried calling out, but its not always reacted to and just heard as someone talking behind them.

So I'm experimenting with a squeaker out of a soft toy - its light (even lighter than a bell!) and I can put it in a pocket out of the way and squeak it though the material by squeezing the pocket. It seems to be working well, people hear it but are not startled and move smoothly out of the way if necessary.

I'll report back later when I have used it more

boydj

Legendary Member
Try a Hope rear hub. A quick back-pedal has them diving for the bushes - or alerts them to your presence if you do it a bit further back.

Slick

Guru
Just buy a new bike with discs then when removing the front wheel for the first time, inadvertently touch the rotor and permanently contaminate the rotor with a single tear of a new born baby then gently caress the brake lever as you approach a pedestrian and watch them dive for cover as they think the war of the worlds has finally come true.:eek:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Just buy a new bike with discs then when removing the front wheel for the first time, inadvertently touch the rotor and permanently contaminate the rotor with a single tear of a new born baby then gently caress the brake lever as you approach a pedestrian and watch them dive for cover as they think the war of the worlds has finally come true.:eek:

Not a fan eh?

I use the Queens English in my polite voice.

Slick

Guru
Not a fan eh?

I use the Queens English in my polite voice.
Nah, exaggerated a bit but sometimes it does get a bit frustrating. It reminds me a bit of the old sketch when CD's first came out. You can run it over with a Sherman tank but smudge it with your finger and you are finished. :laugh:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Nothing will alert the pedestrian toddling along with a 15 foot dog lead (fully extended) wearing headphones, they are the only one on the “shared” path :dry:
For these people you need one of these to get their attention...
stream_img.jpg
^_^

OneArmedBandit

Pedestrians here are so oblivious I'm going to pay another cyclist to cycle in front with a bugle.

I did have an air horn which was highly effective but I knew if I persisted the local rag would be filled with complaints of cyclists who jump red lights and cause one to soil oneself on shared paths.

Top Bottom