Alternative to a Bell

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by currystomper, 13 Jul 2018.

Tags:
  1. currystomper

currystomper Über Member

I was looking for an alternative to a bell on my bike as they seems to startle pedestrians and cause them to move into your path, when all you want to do is tell them you are coming.

I have tried calling out, but its not always reacted to and just heard as someone talking behind them.

So I'm experimenting with a squeaker out of a soft toy - its light (even lighter than a bell!) and I can put it in a pocket out of the way and squeak it though the material by squeezing the pocket. It seems to be working well, people hear it but are not startled and move smoothly out of the way if necessary.

I'll report back later when I have used it more

2. boydj

boydj Veteran

Try a Hope rear hub. A quick back-pedal has them diving for the bushes - or alerts them to your presence if you do it a bit further back.

3. gaz71

gaz71 Senior Member

An airhorn usually does the trick.

4. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

A cheery ‘good morning’ usually works for me.

Gary E, Saluki, Gravity Aided and 4 others like this.
  5. Slick

Slick Veteran

Just buy a new bike with discs then when removing the front wheel for the first time, inadvertently touch the rotor and permanently contaminate the rotor with a single tear of a new born baby then gently caress the brake lever as you approach a pedestrian and watch them dive for cover as they think the war of the worlds has finally come true.:eek:

Oldbloke, iancity, Vantage and 8 others like this.
  6. Will Spin

Will Spin Senior Member

Mavic freehub, unlubricated, does the trick, freewheel and it's the shriek of death.

Accy cyclist likes this.
  7. Mrs M

Mrs M Veteran

Nothing will alert the pedestrian toddling along with a 15 foot dog lead (fully extended) wearing headphones, they are the only one on the “shared” path :dry:

Minotier, Oldbloke, Cuchilo and 9 others like this.
  8. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Not a fan eh?

I use the Queens English in my polite voice.

Slick likes this.
  9. Slick

Slick Veteran

Nah, exaggerated a bit but sometimes it does get a bit frustrating. It reminds me a bit of the old sketch when CD's first came out. You can run it over with a Sherman tank but smudge it with your finger and you are finished. :laugh:

Salty seadog likes this.
  10. Jimidh

Jimidh Über Member

Me too , much more polite than ringing a bell or blowing a horn.

Salty seadog likes this.
  11. rrarider

rrarider Senior Member

I use a Storm whistle. I find that everybody can hear that.

12. Jenkins

Jenkins Veteran

For these people you need one of these to get their attention...
    stream_img.jpg ^_^

13. woodenspoons

woodenspoons Über Member

In winter, you could get a couple of Sweep puppets, and squeak while you wave, while staying warm. You’re onto something.

14. Drago

Drago Guru

A Taser should do the trick.

15. OneArmedBandit

OneArmedBandit Active Member

Pedestrians here are so oblivious I'm going to pay another cyclist to cycle in front with a bugle.

I did have an air horn which was highly effective but I knew if I persisted the local rag would be filled with complaints of cyclists who jump red lights and cause one to soil oneself on shared paths.

Gary E, Oldbloke, Pat "5mph" and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice