Alternative to a Bell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
images.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Studded tyres, everyone gets out the way.
That one actually works.
Maybe we could replicate it somehow in summer?
Nobody seems offended or jumps from the sound of my ice tyres, while ime bells sometimes annoy, a "good morning" or "excuse me" is often ignored.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
That one actually works.
Maybe we could replicate it somehow in summer?
Nobody seems offended or jumps from the sound of my ice tyres, while ime bells sometimes annoy, a "good morning" or "excuse me" is often ignored.

One winter I'm bedding a set in when I go by a lad walking along the path. He jumped that much I thought he was going to dive over a garden wall to take cover, I swear he thought someone was shooting at him :laugh:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Oh dear. Perhaps it's those on internet forums, but some folk do seem to be allergic to social contact. I have never had a problem with a cheery 'hello' or 'good morning' or even 'excuse me'.

When I'm on a ride, I only ever talk to other cyclists and horses (and occasionally their riders :rolleyes:). Everyone else gets treated to my mellifluously sounding bell:

I've yet to have a single pedestrian take offence at that.

mikeymustard

Veteran
Years ago (about 40) I got stopped by an obviously bored Bobby and asked where my bell was.
"I have an audible warning device," my teenage self replied.
"Let's hear it then young fellow me lad," (I paraphrase somewhat).
"GET OUT THE WAY!" I shouts at the top of my proverbial.
He just raised his eyes in a skyward direction, tutted loudly and proceeded to proceed up the high street.

Edit: can you tell I've been listening to Jeeves and Wooster on the radio?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had an 'Airzound' but after it was pumped up many times it lost its ability to keep its air pressure and could then only give out a few blasts on a ride. I had one of those old fashioned bugle horns on a bike. It was quite affective. One oddity i used for a novelty on a club ride once or twice was a plastic turkey. It was about 8 inches long dressed in a Father Christmas outfit. I used an elastic band to hold it on the handlebars. It was quite amusing to squeeze it and get a squawking turkey sound which did alert bemused pedestrians as i approached.:smile:

Milzy

Guru
I had an 'Airzound' but after it was pumped up many times it lost its ability to keep its air pressure and could then only give out a few blasts on a ride. I had one of those old fashioned bugle horns on a bike. It was quite affective. One oddity i used for a novelty on a club ride once or twice was a plastic turkey. It was about 8 inches long dressed in a Father Christmas outfit. I used an elastic band to hold it on the handlebars. It was quite amusing to squeeze it and get a squawking turkey sound which did alert bemused pedestrians as i approached.:smile:
40 years back, you'd be sectioned for that.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
How about carrying some brown paper bags in your back pocket:idea:. When you think you might have to alert a dozy pedestrian you could whip one out,blow it up and pop it as you approach them. Best though to pop it by slamming it on your chest,head or backside instead of using one hand to hold it and the other to pop it. Both hands off the bars could mean.:B)

Top Bottom