Alternative to a Bell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If bikes should have bells, how about requiring hybrid cars to be fitted with fake engine noise generators? Last week I was riding slowly alongside a friend who was walking her dog down a quiet village back street and none of us heard a car sneak up as we started to stroll diagonally across the road. The driver alerted us with a quick bleep on the horn. I apologised to her for not looking and she said that it happened a lot ... "This car is too damn quiet - people walk out in front of me all the time!"

mikeymustard

Veteran
If bikes should have bells, how about requiring hybrid cars to be fitted with fake engine noise generators? Last week I was riding slowly alongside a friend who was walking her dog down a quiet village back street and none of us heard a car sneak up as we started to stroll diagonally across the road. The driver alerted us with a quick bleep on the horn. I apologised to her for not looking and she said that it happened a lot ... "This car is too damn quiet - people walk out in front of me all the time!"
make them fit tyres with a singing tread pattern like an old land rover

Slick

Guru
There was a segment in yesterday's BBC breakfast news where there was a short debate about making bells compulsory along with a host of other measures as the rules are to be overhauled, apparently.

I didn't know Naga was a cyclist and the Norven bird had a run in with a cyclist but accepted full responsibility for the encounter which was refreshing.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
what we need is to revive the old Green Cross Code... with a particular emphasis on the 'look' bit :okay:

OneArmedBandit

If you often have to shout at people or sound bells and horns, then you're going too fast on a shared path.
Depends on the path. If it is a metre wide path with blue signs then yes.

But part of my commute is alongside a dual carriageway where bikes are prohibited. There is actually a very high quality path alongside - 3m wide with another 2m "pavement" raised a couple of centimetres alongside. They aren't for the most part segregated "officially" but the indication is surely to keep to one side.

Despite that you get pedestrians walking in a line across the whole cycle path, or down the middle, or dog owners who think it is a perfect place to play fetch.

In another vein in a stunning piece of thinking the council in a local town created a 2km tarmac "loop" intended for joggers and cyclists, with marker posts every 100m. It's sandwiched between houses and a railway line, and by definition is longer than the direct, off road paths within.

However, again it's been colonised by dog walkers so it is essentially useless for cycle training because, being on a constant curve, you can have a dog run under your wheels at any moment.

We can say "pedestrians have every right to be there too" but when there is open hostility to cyclists using vast swathes of road from motorists why shouldn't we feel entitled to consideration so that we can use the tiny amount of high quality, purpose built cycle infrastructure? It's not like there aren't a million other places that you can exercise dogs but can't travel by bike.

Tin Pot

Guru
Drago ponders notifying other road users before setting off in a ride.

foghorn.jpg

Reactions: mjr

tyred

Legendary Member
Badly adjusted Canti brakes fitted with Shimano brake pads. The ensuing banshee squeal scatters pedestrians like the parting of the red sea.

Tim Hall

Years ago (about 40) I got stopped by an obviously bored Bobby and asked where my bell was.
"I have an audible warning device," my teenage self replied.
"Let's hear it then young fellow me lad," (I paraphrase somewhat).
"GET OUT THE WAY!" I shouts at the top of my proverbial.
He just raised his eyes in a skyward direction, tutted loudly and proceeded to proceed up the high street.

Edit: can you tell I've been listening to Jeeves and Wooster on the radio?
Was it Boat Race Night? If so, did you steal the Bobby's helmet?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was looking for an alternative to a bell on my bike as they seems to startle pedestrians and cause them to move into your path, when all you want to do is tell them you are coming.
Ring from further back or get a better bell.

Ermm...hate to be the voice of "sensibility", but you do realise that pedestrians have priority on shared paths, [...]
Pedestrians have priority on almost all highways if they're there first, but I agree.

Oh dear. Perhaps it's those on internet forums, but some folk do seem to be allergic to social contact. I have never had a problem with a cheery 'hello' or 'good morning' or even 'excuse me'.
You can't ride next to busy enough A roads! I can't be heard over the motorists until I'm shouting and shouting at people is far worse than a nice melodious bell.

If bikes should have bells, how about requiring hybrid cars to be fitted with fake engine noise generators?
Let's not. Walkers might learn to look so they'll see bikes more often; and electrified motorists might learn to slow down and not assume that everyone else will get out of their way.

How about a ghetto blaster strapped to the bars playing "ride of the valkyrie" in an Apocalypse Now stylie?
Fark a ghetto blaster - one of those 3 inch speakers gets quite a good noise these days - I have ridden through town while a jazz version of Three Blind Mice plays ironically...

Top Bottom