Alternative to a Bell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Badly adjusted Canti brakes fitted with Shimano brake pads. The ensuing banshee squeal . . .
My front brake has started emitting a not very pleasing screech and I have rediscovered that it's an excellent way of alerting pedestrians to one's approach: better than a bell imo. Some pedestrians take umbrage at a happy ding-a-ling, I think because they interpret it as 'get out of my way' as opposed to 'I'm behind you and planning to pass; please don't jump sideways just as I come close'. (the same (rather more likely) misinterpretation can be made if a rider has an airhorn, or the like. But a brake screech: well it's not the cyclist's fault if their brakes screech is it (?) and it is more likely to garner attention than a bell (including those who wish to cut out the audible world with headphones/earbuds). I think there would be a market for a 'screech horn' (so the cyclist can keep their brakes mercifully quiet for 'everyday' use).
PS New blocks now fitted and my warning system is now no longer available. Back to the 'Good morning' x 2 option.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I usually call out "Bikes!" or "Bike behind!" in as friendly a voice as possible. If a car pulls out on me it's not so polite.

the stupid one

Über Member
I’m still rather partial to a “Fat lad coming through!” That usually gets a smile and keeps everybody sweet. It’s one of my I-failed-to-ring-my-bell-in-time options.

Top Bottom