Aluminium v Carbon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
I have a cannondale caad 8 10 speed alu frame with 105,and a onix 10 speed ultegra bike.What difference ? Well the cannondale has mudguards on.Other than that I reckon because my cannondale is my everyday/winter bike and gets $hit up I think my carbon one is better.The reality is I can't tell a lot of difference.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
My Cannondale Synapse aluminium is lovely, even 4 years on, but it rides very slow compared to the carbon Dolan I just bought. But then they are massively different in price and component specs so can't really be put 1v1.

Glad you found a bike you like and will enjoy, that's the only thing that's important.

I've got a caad 10 ( 2013) and Super six evo hi Mod ( 2014 ) so effectively Cannondale' s high end frames in Ali and Carbon . The caad has ultegra mechanical and campag zondas with 25 mm conti 4000 tyres . The evo has ultegra Di2 ( retro fitted ) with fulcrum 3s and 23 mm conti 4000 tyres ( cant get 25mm in rear as they rub ) .
Have only done up to 60 miles rides and races on both and I honestly can't tell any difference between them riding , gear changing, braking, comfort etc .
The caad was £650 secondhand and the evo £950 secondhand

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
I've got a caad 10 ( 2013) and Super six evo hi Mod ( 2014 ) so effectively Cannondale' s high end frames in Ali and Carbon . The caad has ultegra mechanical and campag zondas with 25 mm conti 4000 tyres . The evo has ultegra Di2 ( retro fitted ) with fulcrum 3s and 23 mm conti 4000 tyres ( cant get 25mm in rear as they rub ) .
Have only done up to 60 miles rides and races on both and I honestly can't tell any difference between them riding , gear changing, braking, comfort etc .
The caad was £650 secondhand and the evo £950 secondhand

This is exactly my experience. In my post injury, old age induced cynicism, can't help thinking that we're being sold a load of ol' marketing tosh by companies and individuals looking to line their wallets.

Adam4868

Guru
I reckon if it's all about weight then maybe high end components and frames.But for most of us it would be more important if the bike actually fits the rider properly.As in my cannondale 8/9 years old fits me well and is comfy for all day rides ect.My carbon is fine and I like it but it's no more comfy or faster as I can tell.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I'm about to buy a new road bike and was thinking of a bike with an aluminium frame. Https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-teammachine-alr01-105-2016-road-bike-EV233467 .Someone has suggested for the budget I'm prepared to spend I could get a Carbon bike. Still being a newbie I don't know the advantages of one over the other as what I have heard may be just myths or true. Any help to make this clearer for me would be appreciated.
Im biased, since I have an SLR01 which I'm in love with, I'd say yes, go for it, unless of course you go secondhand, I got my like new SLR01 for £1,200.

The geometry has been a revelation, 575x575, I have long legs, my previous frame was 520 seat tube, X 585 top tube, so the BMC suits me so much better. Lovely ride too (gentry is virtually identical between ALR and SLR.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
@bozmandb9 He did indeed buy the BMC...forum awaiting pics and review
Will do when I get it, hopefully Monday. The experience between the two shops dealing with the test ride was quite a different experience. I'll put the detail in the review. Thanks for your help

Top Bottom