Aluminium v Carbon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'll help out but only if you will be honest whether or not you will make a decision based on emotion and peer pressure.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
I'll help out but only if you will be honest whether or not you will make a decision based on emotion and peer pressure.
That is why I am asking to get the information to make an informed decision. Have a maths / science background so tend to be logical and evidence based. I know I will never race, I'm 13.5 stone so could make ride lighter by losing more weight ( although I have lost 5.5 stone this year). Any help appreciated.

thecube

For me I would get a aluminium with a better spec groupset / components. Unless you plan on upgrading. Although saying that I went for a cheapish carbon road bike 2 years ago, I think it was a mistake.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think that looks like a very nice bike and I'm sure that you would be happy with it!

I am still riding a 15 year old Cannondale which has a good quality aluminium frame and a carbon fork. It weighs about the same as the one you are looking at. My bike is equipped with a Campagnolo groupset but Shimano 105 is very good. The BMC has a good wide range of gears.

I reckon at the price you are talking about you would be better off buying a quality aluminium frame than a lower quality carbon fibre one.

It might go against the grain to 'forget the science' but ... 'forget the science'! :laugh: You are not trying to win the Tour de France (I hope!) - you just need a nice bike to enjoy riding and keep you fit.

You would probably find it very difficult to measure any significant differences between the BMC and CF bikes in your price range. A small weight difference perhaps, but you could lose more off yourself than you could off the bike.

As Yellow Saddle has hinted at, you are probably going to end up buying a bike that you like rather than something which is much better than other similarly priced bikes. Buy something soon and enjoy riding it through the summer. If you start getting into comparing specs you could end up dithering about until the autumn. I have seen it time and time again, and the bike eventually chosen was no better than the first one looked at!

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Good fit / good spec / good value is far more important that frame material.
+1 for this

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
I think that looks like a very nice bike and I'm sure that you would be happy with it!

I am still riding a 15 year old Cannondale which has a good quality aluminium frame and a carbon fork. It weighs about the same as the one you are looking at. My bike is equipped with a Campagnolo groupset but Shimano 105 is very good. The BMC has a good wide range of gears.

I reckon at the price you are talking about you would be better off buying a quality aluminium frame than a lower quality carbon fibre one.

It might go against the grain to 'forget the science' but ... 'forget the science'! :laugh: You are not trying to win the Tour de France (I hope!) - you just need a nice bike to enjoy riding and keep you fit.

You would probably find it very difficult to measure any significant differences between the BMC and CF bikes in your price range. A small weight difference perhaps, but you could lose more off yourself than you could off the bike.

As Yellow Saddle has hinted at, you are probably going to end up buying a bike that you like rather than something which is much better than other similarly priced bikes. Buy something soon and enjoy riding it through the summer. If you start getting into comparing specs you could end up dithering about until the autumn. I have seen it time and time again, and the bike eventually chosen was no better than the first one looked at!
Many thanks for your reply, test riding this week and I'm fairly certain I won't be able to resist something. I'm just loving riding my bike, really enjoying riding with a local club, still love riding on my own on my trusty tourer. Wish I had started riding like this years ago.

ColinJ

Many thanks for your reply, test riding this week and I'm fairly certain I won't be able to resist something. I'm just loving riding my bike, really enjoying riding with a local club, still love riding on my own on my trusty tourer. Wish I had started riding like this years ago.
I stopped cycling for 20 years before finally starting again in 1989. The bike I bought then weighed about 3 kg more than the one you were looking at. It didn't have the wide range of gears or the integrated gear shifters available now but it was still a huge improvement on what I'd ridden before. I reckon a couple of kms on that BMC and you will have a big smile on your face.

One thing I do chose to to do on my aluminium bike is to use lower tyre pressures than may people recommend. I would probably use 95-100 PSI rear and 85-90 PSI front on the BMC if you find the ride harsh.

But soooo worth it!

Far superior frame, lighter and carbon. Groupset next level up. Better wheels .

Why lose out for the sake of a poxy £250?
Not having a spare £250? :whistle: :okay:

Milzy

Guru
I stopped cycling for 20 years before finally starting again in 1989. The bike I bought then weighed about 3 kg more than the one you were looking at. It didn't have the wide range of gears or the integrated gear shifters available now but it was still a huge improvement on what I'd ridden before. I reckon a couple of kms on that BMC and you will have a big smile on your face.

One thing I do chose to to do on my aluminium bike is to use lower tyre pressures than may people recommend. I would probably use 95-100 PSI rear and 85-90 PSI front on the BMC if you find the ride harsh.

Not having a spare £250? :whistle: :okay:
Worth reining things in for a couple of months.

ColinJ

It will probably be a long time before I buy another road bike unless my best bike is written off or stolen. Despite what I posted above and the fact that I do like oversized aluminium, if/when that time comes I will have to at least test ride a CF bike to see if I change my mind.

@Globalti is about my height and fairly local and he kindly offered to let me ride one of his CF bikes so I can see what I think. I don't want to do that until I am in the market for a new bike because I don't want to lust after a bike that I can't afford!

Top Bottom