Aluminium v Carbon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
OP - Buy the one you want , you know it makes sense.

Frame material divides people like nothing else on forums and each has its upside and downsides. Each has its proselytisers and naysayers and before long any thread posing this question will degenerate into bitchfest between the usual suspects.

In addition a lot of people will inisist you pay either more or less, go figure.

The two most important things are; does it actually fit you and is it fit for the purpose you require.

huggy

Do BMC make exactly the same bike in carbon? I mean same geometry, not the same components.

I had the same dilemma 4 years ago, I rode a carbon Roubaix and a AL Secteur. I pushed the budget for the Roubaix, I knew I would want to upgrade if I hadn't. Spending £1000 ish on a bike was not going to be repeated anytime soon.

PS the new/current Roubaix is a lot more expensive and they don't seem to make the Secteur any more.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm about to buy a new road bike and was thinking of a bike with an aluminium frame. Https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-teammachine-alr01-105-2016-road-bike-EV233467 .Someone has suggested for the budget I'm prepared to spend I could get a Carbon bike. Still being a newbie I don't know the advantages of one over the other as what I have heard may be just myths or true. Any help to make this clearer for me would be appreciated.

Why don't you sign up for the Cyclist magazine track day at York road circuit on 21 May? You'll have a lot of fun and get to test ride a wide range of carbon bikes.

I've got a mixture of CF and Aluminium alloy bikes, that I ride regularly. Anyone who says something along the lines of "there's no difference really, except cost" or "it's just another material choice" clearly hasn't ridden both, and doesn't have much of a clue. 155 miles of mixed terrain / surface on a CF bike, and 155 miles of mixed terrain / surface ride on the Aluminium alloy bikes ( with as much else as possible the same / similar ) will give you a pretty good idea of what the differences are, I can assure you.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm not sure if it's as straightforward that carbon is automatically smoother than aluminium. Quite a lot to do with the specific frames too I think.

One of my previous bikes a Forme, always felt very harsh to ride whereas my Cube Peloton feels distinctly smoother. Both aluminium frames with carbon forks but both felt very different.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
I think that looks like a very nice bike and I'm sure that you would be happy with it!

I am still riding a 15 year old Cannondale which has a good quality aluminium frame and a carbon fork. It weighs about the same as the one you are looking at. My bike is equipped with a Campagnolo groupset but Shimano 105 is very good. The BMC has a good wide range of gears.

I reckon at the price you are talking about you would be better off buying a quality aluminium frame than a lower quality carbon fibre one.

It might go against the grain to 'forget the science' but ... 'forget the science'! :laugh: You are not trying to win the Tour de France (I hope!) - you just need a nice bike to enjoy riding and keep you fit.

You would probably find it very difficult to measure any significant differences between the BMC and CF bikes in your price range. A small weight difference perhaps, but you could lose more off yourself than you could off the bike.

As Yellow Saddle has hinted at, you are probably going to end up buying a bike that you like rather than something which is much better than other similarly priced bikes. Buy something soon and enjoy riding it through the summer. If you start getting into comparing specs you could end up dithering about until the autumn. I have seen it time and time again, and the bike eventually chosen was no better than the first one looked at!
The deed is done :smile: rode both but went with the BMC, sweetened by an extra £75 off if I take in any old bike to trade in.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've got a mixture of CF and Aluminium alloy bikes, that I ride regularly. Anyone who says something along the lines of "there's no difference really, except cost" or "it's just another material choice" clearly hasn't ridden both, and doesn't have much of a clue. 155 miles of mixed terrain / surface on a CF bike, and 155 miles of mixed terrain / surface ride on the Aluminium alloy bikes ( with as much else as possible the same / similar ) will give you a pretty good idea of what the differences are, I can assure you.
Well, I don't have the CF bike and I haven't cycled 155 miles of mixed terrain, but on my 140 mile, mixed terrain rides on my oversized aluminium bike ... the bike felt efficient, comfortable and an awful lot of fun to ride ... :whistle:

What huge benefits was I missing out on? :laugh:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Well, I don't have the CF bike and I haven't cycled 155 miles of mixed terrain, but on my 140 mile, mixed terrain rides on my oversized aluminium bike ... the bike felt efficient, comfortable and an awful lot of fun to ride ... :whistle:

What huge benefits was I missing out on? :laugh:
Did you try looking in your head to see if there were any benefits?

Venod

Eh up
I find these frame material threads interesting, I have owned a CF bike and found it a good lively comfortable ride, but it was a compact frame and I never really got along with looks or fit of it, I consider Cannondale aluminium frames to be among the best, I have had two of their MTB's (Still got one) and one CX, I was knocked of the CX the CF fork snapped in half, the frame rear stays were pushed out of line, but with a bit of tweaking I saved the frame and rode it again with new forks.
My favourite frame material is titanium its a comfortable ride and is easy to look after,no paint to worry about, (I have three Ti bikes) I also have a steel framed bike its a bit heavier than CF or Ti but its got classic looks and is a comfortable ride.
I would have another CF bike but only for the road, I know they are tough but in my opinion are far too easy to damage for regular off road use (if your buying your own)

Last edited:

bigjim

Legendary Member
I ride steel framed bikes. My lightest is an 853 framed Raleigh RSP team bike. It does not weigh much more than that BMC machine and with lighter components would probably be close to matching it. It is a beautifully smooth fast ride. However it does not get out that much. Reason is that It is usually raining, about to rain, maybe will rain or the roads are still wet. It will not take mudguards and I suspect that BMC and plenty more like it are the same. It is beyond me why these type of bikes are so popular in the UK. I can't see the benefit of arriving anywhere with a brown streak from your ass to your back and looking like you have just had a "moment". Everybody to their own I know but I don't get it. Don't get me wrong, I am sure they are a joy to ride, well I know they are. I hire a full carbon bike every year in Mallorca, but..........

Last edited:
Top Bottom