Always been weight obsessed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I am 11kg lighter than I was in 2014 and my average speed has gone down by 2mph
Can one drill carbon ?

Must be 11kg of muscle mass then and your now weedy legs can no longer hack it like they used to. ^_^

Carbon is a piece of pish to drill - fact.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I've never weighed a morning trip to the toilet but I bet that would be 1/2kg + on it's own..

Must be far easier to trim a kilo of bodyweight vs a kilo of bike weight.

Slightly off topic, but, I have four daughters, and a wife, all obsessing about body weight. They will discuss endlessly a weight loss of 1lb (whatever that is in kilos?). I try to point out to them it is only a good trip to the toilet, but, what would I know? ;)

Where have you been ?

It's all about aero now. That's how to get faster. A bit of weight lost isn't going to do much unless it's all uphill.

Get some narrow bars, aero hat, deep rims and lob some tribars on and you'll be flying.

Oh and get all your lycra one skin tight and make sure nothing is flapping.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I try to point out to them it is only a good trip to the toilet

Yep, John Witherspoon believed the same, as he stated when exiting the toilet in a cafe in "Friday":
Screenshot_20210925-115649_Google.jpg

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Comparing my old XT mech vs a newer XT or sram, they are much lighter now, but I'm not so sure they are as robust.
am pretty sure they are not. I bought a retro 8 speed NOS front mech recently for a build. Really solid. Nothing like it available these days for any price.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I meant the new stuff not being as robust. The 10 speed XT doesn't feel as solid as the 8 speed.
i was agreeing with you - am pretty sure the old stuff is way tougher. Built in an age when there was still, just, a heritage of folk expecting stuff to last. I have several front XT mechs laid up - all bought second hand but they may still outlive me.

Punkawallah

Über Member
This is very true (although citing the pseudo-scientists at GCN is dubious in support of your cause).

However, as aforementioned, in the case of most riders they're ignoring the biggest and most foundation gains (probably because it requires effort for a consistent period) in favour of something that is really an irrelevance if they haven't already sorted the fundamentals.

A rider of mediocre fitness and poor technique will not go any quicker for losing, say, 200g off their bike.

Wah. Don’t have a ‘cause’ per se. Just pointing out an example of weight making a difference, if only at the edges of experience. And showing that lightness was seen as advantageous in the late 9th century.

Top Bottom