Always been weight obsessed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When you say new what years are you referring to? Last 12 months, older?
XT 8 vs say 10 onwards.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Question - how long has this apparent obsession with weight in certain cycling circles really been going on?

Got to pondering this after cleaning up/fondling an oldish ultegra rear mech for sale - I also have another one - and a nice 105 rear mech. These would have been used by racing cyclists I suppose but they definitely aren't light - very generous amounts of very solid sculpted steel, which of course also means that they are damn tough and one of my 20 year old ultegras is, sacrilege, now sitting on a 90s hybrid self build of mine and still giving great service.

Am aware that in times past some folk took to drilling to lighten the weight.

Up to a point it is meaningless. When a guy overtakes you up Ditchling Beacon on a solid steel butchers bike you could say its not all about the bike.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Up to a point it is meaningless. When a guy overtakes you up Ditchling Beacon on a solid steel butchers bike you could say its not all about the bike.
- but just think how fast he'd be going on a lighter bike! So maybe it is, on an individual level. I certainly prefer riding a lighter bike, easier, more lively, but much depends on the frame and wheels - particularly tyres.

At the top level of competition performance is usually equated to speed/time.

For the vast majority of cyclists, who do not race, except artificially on Strava, performance can be measured by changes in speed/times on the same bike no matter what its weight is.

If I ride ten miles five minutes faster on a modern carbon road bike than on an old gas pipe 80s road bike has my performance really improved, or just the time?

Weight can be very important, but it is not the be all and end all of cycling for fun or fitness.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That mini-hatler bloke did something like that! I think he had a better engine than mine.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
If I ride ten miles five minutes faster on a modern carbon road bike than on an old gas pipe 80s road bike has my performance really improved, or just the time?
Interesting point.

By the by, my initial post was mainly wondering about the possible sacrifice of component durability/long-term performance for weight savings

While I’m not averse to buying lightweight components (I see it as more an extravagance) I’m under no delusions that they will make me a better rider! Peer pressure and “influencers” will tell me otherwise and play the often used “marginal gains” card, but being 5-10kg overweight suggests I may have a major gain……

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I feel weight does make a difference. My weight!

Five years ago when I bought my Cervelo the choice was 105 or Ultegra which was a saving of 400g for +/-£500. I decided to eat fewer Mars bars.

Bought my Kinesis, heavier than the Cervelo, last November when I was at my best weight and peak fitness but found top speed on the Kinesis is 2-3mph slower than my Cervelo.

This year I've gained 2.5/3kg and my summer has been disappointing. Way off my 2020 form. It's not going to happen in 2022.

My feeling is bike weight makes a difference but overall it's me that makes the real difference.

Today I'm 72.9kg (161lbs) but last summer I was consistently 70.5kg (155.5lbs)

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I feel weight does make a difference. My weight!

Five years ago when I bought my Cervelo the choice was 105 or Ultegra which was a saving of 400g for +/-£500. I decided to eat fewer Mars bars.

Bought my Kinesis, heavier than the Cervelo, last November when I was at my best weight and peak fitness but found top speed on the Kinesis is 2-3mph slower than my Cervelo.

This year I've gained 2.5/3kg and my summer has been disappointing. Way off my 2020 form. It's not going to happen in 2022.

My feeling is bike weight makes a difference but overall it's me that makes the real difference.

Today I'm 72.9kg (161lbs) but last summer I was consistently 70.5kg (155.5lbs)
Agree so much. I managed to gain a stone over last winter/early spring that I’m really struggling to shift. My cycling really suffered to the extent that my enthusiasm for going out has really waned as I know how hard it will be, especially on the hills. Even taking my lightest bike out doesn’t make much difference.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Agree so much. I managed to gain a stone over last winter/early spring that I’m really struggling to shift. My cycling really suffered to the extent that my enthusiasm for going out has really waned as I know how hard it will be, especially on the hills. Even taking my lightest bike out doesn’t make much difference.
I get this and truly sympathise, it is so difficult. If it wasn't for making committents to my cycling buddies I'd probably be staying in far more. Any excuse.

On the weight thing little steps are important. I've targeted being 71kg by Christmas.

Top Bottom