Always been weight obsessed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sasquath

Interesting point.

By the by, my initial post was mainly wondering about the possible sacrifice of component durability/long-term performance for weight savings
That's for sure, looking at my front mech made from coke can thin stainless steel I have no doubt it wouldn't last 15 years of daily shifting like the old build like a tank stuff did.
Early carbon forks were really one time use consumables, at least for my m8 who got face full of gravell thanks to one snapping after mere 4000km.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
That's for sure, looking at my front mech made from coke can thin stainless steel I have no doubt it wouldn't last 15 years of daily shifting like the old build like a tank stuff did.

tend to agree - when have time may post pics from an old ultegra/105 rear mech and a modern one.

fatjel

Veteran
Any numbers that show how your old , heavy stuff lasts ?
my Ultegra 6800 has done over 10000 miles without any problems or signs of wear .

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I can compare Shimano 600 Arabesque with 105 or Ultegra. Former is prettier and still working despite 40 years of service....Latter needed a new RH shifter 6 years in....

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Any numbers that show how your old , heavy stuff lasts ?
my Ultegra 6800 has done over 10000 miles without any problems or signs of wear .
A question for me?
I don't keep records of miles to be honest.
But as above came on a bike I bought in 2003 or so, got bashed (has the marks), now on second bike with second pair of jockey wheels. Still performs faultlessly, no signs of it failing at all.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Longevity of derailleurs has never been an issue for me (heavy, light or middleweight). I've never had a derailleur wear out or break (Jockey wheels aside) apart from one that I didn't set the Lo stop correctly on and put into my rear wheel as part of my teenage learning experience. They're a bit like brake calipers, you might replace them if you want nicer ones but they don't die.

Maybe people who do mega-miles will have a different view.
I had a front (albeit pretty cheap) die - I wasn't clever enough to see why it wasn't working any more - chap at a Dr Bike workshop (excellent Tower Hamlets wheelers) took one look and said I needed a new one - it just wouldn't throw the chain properly any more. Rear mechs can also get wobbly - have the idea that they are subject to more wear than front ones. Folks more techy than me might be able to confirm or deny.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Shimano rears also seize at the top pivot (now I know this I will be lubing them vigorously 🤦‍♀️)
never had that happen.
Mind you I lube mechs pretty regularly.

sasquath

Would agree.(front ones further from road spray maybe?)
Shimano rears also seize at the top pivot (now I know this I will be lubing them vigorously 🤦‍♀️)
How often do you shift front? In flat area probably never, rear gets workout all the time.
On bouncy ride over potholes and gravel paths on the other hand rear also absorbs chain swinging all over the place.

simongt

Guru
Although with having a heavier bike, does this improve fitness, similar to sometimes seeing joggers with a backpack - ? :whistle:
But as a basic training squaddie, on a training run, backpacks were filled with bags of sand; wet if you'd upset the drill pig - ! :wacko:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Although with having a heavier bike, does this improve fitness, similar to sometimes seeing joggers with a backpack - ? :whistle:
It's entirely up to you how much effort you put in and what riding you do - independent of bike weight.

You could flog yourself doing intervals on a featherweight bike or ride slowly and sedately ride round on a butchers bike. Or vice versa.

Punkawallah

Über Member
When I was doing triathlon, I used the same bike for commuting and the event - I could tell the difference when the rack & panniers of kit came off :-)

Still didn’t win, though.

Wooger

A rider of mediocre fitness and poor technique will not go any quicker for losing, say, 200g off their bike.
Well, they would probably take off a few seconds on a climb heavy day. But noone is watching and agonising over it, and of course there's more room for improvement elsewhere.

I suppose it depends on your cycling buddies but most I know don't have any weight to shave off, I had a bit of weight sneak up on me last year, but this morning the scales said, 151 lb, I am 5ft 10".

Sheesh, Bradley Wiggins weighed that at 6'3", you've a long way to go...

I weigh 250lb, not buying a lighter bike till I'm down to a svelte 15 stone.

Top Bottom