Am I the youngest cycle cammer in the UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think Ianrauk may the youngest rider on here...at least he drinks like a 12 year old, judging by that unfinished bottle of Jack on his desk.:whistle:

now all I need to do now is lend him a camera.

You don't want to give him a camera, he already gets more incidents than the rest of us put together. :P

Reactions: gaz

Maz

Guru
Woh - that is like REALLY OLD!
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTES7wYzJT02br0cb5ytghW_igJ6n8nb47FX-a8Da2buhVeLgw28FSuec8.jpg

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
If either of my kids get into serious cycling when they're in their teens, then I'll be tempted to buy them cameras, for solo rides at least. Two reasons: 1) It'd help them to improve their road skills and 2) It'd provide evidence of any incidents that may take place.

Quick question for you Matt: Do your parents / guardians view your videos?
Your first point is the main reason i have a camera.

This thread is ridiculous, well done Matthew_T. I'm not sure why you're so proud of using a camera, as you seem to use it as an excuse to be an awful cyclist. Basically, stop being an idiot, the camera does not protect you but you seem to believe it does.

As for using cameras to improve road skills, there are plenty of sociology/psychology/economics studies that actually show that observation has a large influence on our behaviour.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
This thread is ridiculous, well done Matthew_T. I'm not sure why you're so proud of using a camera, as you seem to use it as an excuse to be an awful cyclist. Basically, stop being an idiot, the camera does not protect you but you seem to believe it does.

That's a bit harsh. Fair play to Matthew for putting the bad things up and learning from them I say. It would be quite easy just to upload the clips that made him look good and ignore the bad ones, but he doesn't.

That's a bit harsh. Fair play to Matthew for putting the bad things up and learning from them I say. It would be quite easy just to upload the clips that made him look good and ignore the bad ones, but he doesn't.

The only reason is he doesn't ever seem to think he's done anything wrong, it's not harsh just honest. I used a cam for a bit, and it's not good. Matthew has gone on about using the camera as a protection device, and it's the risk homeostasis of an idiot. I think this thread deserves me being harsh, Matthew seems to be a nice kid but his ideas about the camera, and his behaviour with one are bad. I'm sure a few months cycling without one and he'll improve.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The only reason is he doesn't ever seem to think he's done anything wrong, it's not harsh just honest. I used a cam for a bit, and it's not good. Matthew has gone on about using the camera as a protection device, and it's the risk homeostasis of an idiot. I think this thread deserves me being harsh, Matthew seems to be a nice kid but his ideas about the camera, and his behaviour with one are bad. I'm sure a few months cycling without one and he'll improve.
If I upload something and someone comments that I could have done something different or shouldnt have done what I did, then I change my ways and alter my actions.
The way you have attempted to get your point across is very agressive and abusive. If you want people to learn, you dont give them abuse.

My riding is not 'awful' far from it, I have used advice from people on here and now ride in a much more defensive manner. If you cannot comprehend that I am young and still have a lot more to learn then why are you commenting?
Keep your abusive opinions to yourself in future and dont attempt to 'educate' me with insults and 'you should throw the camera away' comments. I am not going to get rid of the camera because I use it for my own protection. Until you come to where I live and experience the chaos on the roads for yourself, you cannot tell me what I am doing right or wrong.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The only reason is he doesn't ever seem to think he's done anything wrong, it's not harsh just honest.
You are indeed true. In some situations, I fell like I couldnt do anything better. That is the reason why I upload things, to get someone elses view. Then when someone says "I wouldnt have done that" or "You should have ..." I take it onboard.
Why do you think I am uploading these videos? It is unlikely that the person will look on YT for themself unless I tell them so what do you think the real reason for me uploading is?

Just think it over and come to the conclusion I have now put in you feeble mind.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Matthew, cariad bach, are you the youngest? Most posters here know not and care even less! In a reply to sportmonkey you said "Keep your abusive opinions to yourself in future and dont attempt to 'educate' me with insults and 'you should throw the camera away' comments" and this was followed in your next post, again directed to sportmonkey, "Just think it over and come to the conclusion I have now put in you[sic] feeble mind." If you do not like posters being 'abusive' to you, do not be abusive to them!
Cycling is a practical skill and although you can pick up hints and tips from the internet, you gain experience by putting the miles in I can teach you how to climb Bwlch y Groes or the old Horseshoe Pass whilst others will tell me that I am wrong and their method is better - all of us are right.
The problem with filming 'incidents' is that they are all unique and cannot be replicated - traffic,weather, your mental/physical state, tyre pressures, etc. must be exactly the same and they never are.
How do you think people gained experience before the advent of videos and youtube? We all have 'scars' from our early days and we learnt what works and what does not. If you are looking for symathy for your lack of skill then you will only find sympathy in a dictionary between sex and syphyllis!
I hope that you are not one of the first cyclists to be given a colonoscopy on the roadside by an irate motorist but if you are - do not post it on youtube!

If I upload something and someone comments that I could have done something different or shouldnt have done what I did, then I change my ways and alter my actions.
The way you have attempted to get your point across is very agressive and abusive. If you want people to learn, you dont give them abuse.

My riding is not 'awful' far from it, I have used advice from people on here and now ride in a much more defensive manner. If you cannot comprehend that I am young and still have a lot more to learn then why are you commenting?
Keep your abusive opinions to yourself in future and dont attempt to 'educate' me with insults and 'you should throw the camera away' comments. I am not going to get rid of the camera because I use it for my own protection. Until you come to where I live and experience the chaos on the roads for yourself, you cannot tell me what I am doing right or wrong.

There is also a difference between your riding being awful and you being an awful cyclist, starting arguments with drivers for small issues constitutes that for me. Now I've validated why I said that you're an awful cyclist, and have replied to be saying you're an idiot for saying a camera protects you, by saying a camera protects you I have backed up my points. Would you like to back up your points.

What you think is abusive and aggressive is just me being direct, I'm sorry if it came across as that. I have however tried being pleasant about the idea of putting down the camera and you've ignored that. If you wish, I'll come to where you live, cycle the routes with you, you can come on my commute with me.

You're clearly not putting the videos on YouTube for your own benefit, otherwise you'd make them private and not publicly searchable. I'm quite happy for you to suggest I have a feeble mind, but what leads you to that thought?

And please tell me, what protection does a camera give you?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
There is also a difference between your riding being awful and you being an awful cyclist, starting arguments with drivers for small issues constitutes that for me. Now I've validated why I said that you're an awful cyclist, and have replied to be saying you're an idiot for saying a camera protects you, by saying a camera protects you I have backed up my points. Would you like to back up your points.

What you think is abusive and aggressive is just me being direct, I'm sorry if it came across as that. I have however tried being pleasant about the idea of putting down the camera and you've ignored that. If you wish, I'll come to where you live, cycle the routes with you, you can come on my commute with me.

You're clearly not putting the videos on YouTube for your own benefit, otherwise you'd make them private and not publicly searchable. I'm quite happy for you to suggest I have a feeble mind, but what leads you to that thought?

And please tell me, what protection does a camera give you?

Apparently by allowing you to begin any line of dialogue with "you are on camera" like a doofus!

Top Bottom