Am I the youngest cycle cammer in the UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OilyMechanic

Being the youngest cycle cammer on youtube isn't something to celebrate. Why the hell does anyone care? Sorry to piss on your party but both NottinghamCyclist and Crazy580 are younger than you. Granted, you may not notice this due to their videos not containing high pitched screaming because a) They have gone through puberty and b) The don't get themselves into shitty situations you find yourself in by being an idiot.

Crazy's lovely voice :

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZrijUbGi2U

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
And please tell me, what protection does a camera give you?
It gives you the protection that you have the knowledge of a camera being there and you can focus on your riding more and be in the mindset that if anything happens, you will have it on video.
Just because you know that the camera is there doesnt mean that I purposefully cause incidents. I act like I would if I didnt even have it.

The reason I upload things is to name and shame people. Just like the facility is there for (sharing videos). It is for other peoples benefit and mine. Other people benefit from viewing the incident and seeing what reaction to my objection against a dangerous manouvre can be. And I benefit from the feedback from established camera cyclists such as Gaz and Mikey in relation to my cycling and what I could have done better.

My cycling has improved dramatically from joining CC as I often take comments literally and act upon them. If you view some of my videos from a year back, you will see that I didnt have a very good position, I wasnt taking primary when I should have, I was approaching drivers about their manouvres, and I often swore a lot.
I now have adopted a more defensive position, I try to be sarcastic if anything happens and shrug it off, recently I have only been uploading good and enjoyable things, I dont swear anymore (much), I dont approach people unless they have really put me in danger, and I am enjoying my cycling a lot more.

Therefore I am not an 'awful' cyclist at all. I am a cyclist in progress.

OilyMechanic

I act like I would if I didnt even have it.

Bullshit. We've seen you have confrontations with drivers (which you have caused) to which you have said "I AM FILMING".

The reason I upload things is to name and shame people.

I bet having their registration number on youtube makes them really ashamed. How many people do you know who search their registrations on youtube in the hope that some pre-pubescent welsh kid has uploaded a video of them?

It is for other peoples benefit and mine.

Yes, your videos are very amusing and provide many hours of entertainment on a Friday night. I love watching your videos because if I do the exact opposite to what you are doing, I know I will not get into any confrontations with irate drivers.

Cheshire Celt

Legend
Matthew you are a nice kid but trust me one day you will say something to the wrong person and you will be on the wrong end of a tanking you need to chill out a bit

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bulls***. We've seen you have confrontations with drivers (which you have caused) to which you have said "I AM FILMING".

I bet having their registration number on youtube makes them really ashamed. How many people do you know who search their registrations on youtube in the hope that some pre-pubescent welsh kid has uploaded a video of them?

Yes, your videos are very amusing and provide many hours of entertainment on a Friday night. I love watching your videos because if I do the exact opposite to what you are doing, I know I will not get into any confrontations with irate drivers.

OK OilyMechanic.
Calm it down please. You are coming across as very aggresive in this thread when there is no need.
Thanks.

It gives you the protection that you have the knowledge of a camera being there and you can focus on your riding more and be in the mindset that if anything happens, you will have it on video.
Just because you know that the camera is there doesnt mean that I purposefully cause incidents. I act like I would if I didnt even have it.

You don't act like you would if you don't have it, there are some cracking studies in to the effect of observation on those being observed, or for a matter of fact many external factors.

The camera does not provide you any protection, it does however make you think you do, which is risk homeostasis. It's quite an interesting effect and one highlighted in the helmet debates; that believing you are safe makes you behave in a less safe manner. I don't see how a camera makes you focus any more on riding and less on any third parties or outside influences than not having one.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I don't see how a camera makes you focus any more on riding and less on any third parties or outside influences than not having one.
Well isnt it obvious? You dont want your cycling to look bad in the case of something happening so you focus more on being perfect. Thats why I always take on all the feedback I get from my videos in relation to what I should have done. Noone wants to make a mistake on camera. Especially the people blaming other people for their mistakes.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
OK OilyMechanic.
Calm it down please. You are coming across as very aggresive in this thread when there is no need.
Thanks.
I am just ignoring him until he comes out with something respectful. Me and SportMonkey are having a polite debate.

Well isnt it obvious? You dont want your cycling to look bad in the case of something happening so you focus more on being perfect. Thats why I always take on all the feedback I get from my videos in relation to what I should have done. Noone wants to make a mistake on camera. Especially the people blaming other people for their mistakes.

That isn't an obvious reason, nor do I believe a valid one, especially in relation to improved protection. You would also have to upload all your cycling, not just bad situations. There is also the question of editing to make oneself look better. You could actually argue that focussing on being perfect is a distraction, and that you should focus more on the peripheral situations.

As I have said before, cameras make cyclists more aggressive, it happened to me, and I can see the same situations happen with you and other cyclists. Any arguments with drivers tend to put cyclists in a bad light, even if it is for a driver's misunderstanding of how roads work - I even once had a driving instructor tell me bikes are only allowed in the cycle lane. As a note of point if I'm wearing a camera and aggrieve a driver they're less likely to have a word with me, I'm 6'3", loud and not all that slight. You're also fortunately from the rather benign North Wales coast, I cycle through Partington and Ordsall every day, and Longsight every so often.

Gary E

Veteran
I'm a little concerned that one day when you point out that you've got someone on cam they're just going to take the cam. If you're lucky they won't take your head with it!

There are a lot of very dim witted people out there, some of which don't have a lot of respect for others and see violence as a perfectly acceptable way of getting their point accross.

I don't pretend to know what's best but if you get into a real fight with someone what do you think the chances are that they'll leave your cam with you? Better to just not draw attention to it in the first place surely? then you really would get the last laugh :laugh:

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I'm a little concerned that one day when you point out that you've got someone on cam they're just going to take the cam. If you're lucky they won't take your head with it!
Well they would have to be very lucky to be able to do that. The camera is stiff in the mount andd with the head movements I would be making, they would have a slim chance of getting it.
By then I think members of the public would have come and got involved though. (Yes, I cannot put hope in other people but I doo expect there to be some kind of morality in people).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
By then I think members of the public would have come and got involved though.

Really, don't bank on it, they are most likely to ignore anything they see. No-one stopped for me when I was lying in the middle of a busy roundabout in rush hour - all drove round me. Don't expect the public to get involved in a road rage incident. Be careful !

Top Bottom