am i too old to start racing/ trying to be a pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Hang on a minute - you do an 11 mile TT at 13.5 mph, but your typical training rides are 30-35 miles at 15 mph ...!!! :wacko:

Do you tow a car tyre behind you on TTs for some reason? :whistle:
I have add weight to my bike for leg strengthing exercises plus theres a few hills on the course i do too and thats was before i started a wattbike sessions

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
@blazed - you have a soulmate

To give you an idea of how slow that is,I average 20.3 mph on loose over hard trails on a bike with a 2.5/2.35 " tyre combo.With aggressive treads to boot.
And it's not all flat either,with uphills reducing speed,and the downs to balance it out.
I'm really not trying to be cheeky or put you off mate,but you would need to really up the ante in speed terms.
On a race bike,you should be trouncing those speeds,and although 15 mph is not pedestrian,it's way below a good standard.
I wish you well,and I hope you achieve something good in cycling,because you seem keen as mustard.
A Cervelo is a useful tool in the right hands,so make it yours.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
To give you an idea of how slow that is,I average 20.3 mph on loose over hard trails on a bike with a 2.5/2.35 " tyre combo.With aggressive treads to boot.
And it's not all flat either,with uphills reducing speed,and the downs to balance it out.
I'm really not trying to be cheeky or put you off mate,but you would need to really up the ante in speed terms.
On a race bike,you should be trouncing those speeds,and although 15 mph is not pedestrian,it's way below a good standard.
I wish you well,and I hope you achieve something good in cycling,because you seem keen as mustard.
A Cervelo is a useful tool in the right hands,so make it yours.:thumbsup:

Sure will even if its only a s2 but there beautiful to look at aswell

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Usally do 30-35 miles at average 15 mph
Even the lowliest professionals have one thing in common with the top guys - they found amateur racing relatively easy and were winning regularly, that's how they attracted a pro team in the first place. And remember most of those who turn pro will be out the back door within two years, unable to make the grade.

15mph over 35 miles would get you dropped on a competitive club run, so I think we can safely conclude your chances of making it in serious amateur racing, let alone the professional stuff are on a par with my granddads. And he died in 1959.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
This thread reminds me of a certain character in a James Thurber short story.:giggle:

Yeah, OK, so we don't think the OP is going to make it as a pro. Do you have anything useful or interesting to add to the discussion?

bikeman66

Can't fathom whether this thread was started with genuine interest or not!

I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from having a crack at something, because if doing that particular thing increases your enjoyment of it, then that has to be job done, doesn't it? If you gain a few results along the way, that is even better..........and who knows where it leads.

I didn't start rowing competitively until I was 38, and won my second novice race at the age of 40. Had a good degree of success since then (although no where near national level) and had a lot of fun along the way. So I would say you should find out where it is reckoned someone of your age and physicality should be, and get training. Investigate a coach to make sure your technique is not letting you down.......and go for it!

For a 22 year old, an 11 mile TT at 13.5mph doesn't sound all that impressive, but you have to start somewhere I guess. Was reading an article this afternoon about TT results, and this guy had done a 10 mile in just over 18 minutes. He was an amateur, so I think as far as ambitions to go professional are concerned, you need to learn to walk before you try to run!!

Even if your current stats aren't anything special, and other people's advice is not necessarily encouraging, if YOU want to give it a try.......then just bloody do it! If you love it, great! If not, just enjoy riding your bike at whatever level gives you maximum enjoyment.

screenman

Legendary Member
My 58 year old wife will average 14mph for a 20 miler and that is after six months off for winter and she only has a £250 Pendleton thingy, how do I know, well because she always does and with little effort. Damned unfair if you ask me.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
[QUOTE 4226224, member: 76"]Ha, well that's you screwed. My daughter is 13, she could probably keep up with you, MiniUser76 is 16, he would drop you in the first 2 miles.

There is another way though, remember you won't get tested as an amateur.......... :becool: You know it makes sense, according to David Millar and Tyler Hamilton and hundreds of others, it's only the first time that causes a problem, after you have crossed the line you will never look back :okay:
hqdefault.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Random testing is done at amateur level by UKAD .

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Can't fathom whether this thread was started with genuine interest or not!

I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from having a crack at something, because if doing that particular thing increases your enjoyment of it, then that has to be job done, doesn't it? If you gain a few results along the way, that is even better..........and who knows where it leads.

I didn't start rowing competitively until I was 38, and won my second novice race at the age of 40. Had a good degree of success since then (although no where near national level) and had a lot of fun along the way. So I would say you should find out where it is reckoned someone of your age and physicality should be, and get training. Investigate a coach to make sure your technique is not letting you down.......and go for it!

For a 22 year old, an 11 mile TT at 13.5mph doesn't sound all that impressive, but you have to start somewhere I guess. Was reading an article this afternoon about TT results, and this guy had done a 10 mile in just over 18 minutes. He was an amateur, so I think as far as ambitions to go professional are concerned, you need to learn to walk before you try to run!!

Even if your current stats aren't anything special, and other people's advice is not necessarily encouraging, if YOU want to give it a try.......then just bloody do it! If you love it, great! If not, just enjoy riding your bike at whatever level gives you maximum enjoyment.

Not a troll just really thought i was too old

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Yeah, OK, so we don't think the OP is going to make it as a pro. Do you have anything useful or interesting to add to the discussion?
I already have.;)
I think you have an awful lot of hard work ahead of you, if you want to become pro.
I'm 40 years older than you. My best average on the local cycle clubs training route is 16.8 mph. That's over a 20 mile course with 1200 feet of climbing.
Alex Dowsett is half as fast again, than me, over the same course - and he wasn't racing!

Top Bottom