An idea to reduce Red Light Jumping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Blurb

Über Member
It would be a far better campaign if every cyclist rlj'd. If you really want to stop them, this is the solution, as the problem would become large enough for action to be taken!

OK. Let's run with that.
How do we encourage a co-ordinated change of behaviour by cyclists to RLJ?
How about an FB/Twitter/CTC/BC campaign encouraging this action?

Hold on, hold on, wouldn't it be better to campaign in a positive way.
What would be perceived as a negative action in encouraging RLJ'ing would almost certainly make cyclist's image worse.

I don't know if my "ring on red" suggestion has any legs judging by the responses so far, but I will persist in my lone dinging at the stop line.

Each to their own. I bid you all good night.

AndyPeace

OK. Let's run with that.

Hold on, hold on, wouldn't it be better to campaign in a positive way.
What would be perceived as a negative action in encouraging RLJ'ing would almost certainly make cyclist's image worse.
:smile: that's a nice thought, I'm curious though as to whether you have dissuaded anyone from rlj'ing , by the ring of your bell? I think we differ on opinions about many things, but seriously I'm not endorsing rlj'ing.I may have missed the heart of why this is important to you but to me, it makes no difference..I rarely witness this and have seen as many cars do the same. I don't brand all car drivers as rlj'ers, so I can't see why anyone would brand all cyclist's the same? It's also my opinion that all rlj'ers already know it's a risky thing to do, so I can't see how this will change their behaviour...besides they won't hear the bells, with their headphones in! In retrospect, the best idea is to give it a tut and move on.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
How about clapping your hands every time someone runs a red? Eventually the penny will drop and they'll realise you're taking the p#ss out of them :rolleyes:.
The above is what I really meant to say. Normally my use of English grammar and punctuation is 100%, so I hate it when I slip up like that :sad:.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
[QUOTE 2469905, member: 30090"]Couple of things.

It's illegal to sell a bike without a bell. Riding a bike without pedal reflectors is breaking the law but thankfully it's one of those laws where anyone with any amount of common sense can see that it is stupid to try and enforce.:smile:[/quote]

Riding a bike without reflectors (pedal or otherwise) is not always breaking the law. Reflectors are only legally required between sunrise and sunset.

I am unable to find any documentation which states otherwise on the CTC or highway code website
http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/regulations/lighting-regulations
https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Riding a bike without reflectors (pedal or otherwise) is not always breaking the law. Reflectors are only legally required between sunrise and sunset.

I am unable to find any documentation which states otherwise on the CTC or highway code website
http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/regulations/lighting-regulations
https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71
This gets ropey though, I have 2 pairs of SPDSL and 1x SPD pedals in front of me. None of them have reflectors as standard. I appreciate they are road race and MTB pedals so usage may not be aimed at dark commutes.

It would probably take a very bored copper to do you for not having them though, especially if you have quality,working lights "ON".

Ningishzidda

I agree with vamP. I've heard all the arguments and even agree with some. But there should be room for individual choice and personal responsibility somewhere. Some of u are the nanny state on two wheels, which is pretty strange for a minority group that espouses freedom and all that jazz.
It is every citizen's duty to advise another citizen NOT to break the law.

If you don't, you could be pulled for 'Accessory to red light jumping'..... :laugh:

Ningishzidda

This gets ropey though, I have 2 pairs of SPDSL and 1x SPD pedals in front of me. None of them have reflectors as standard. I appreciate they are road race and MTB pedals so usage may not be aimed at dark commutes.

It would probably take a very bored copper to do you for not having them though, especially if you have quality,working lights "ON".
T.M.H.N.E,T.
Fit some pedal reflectors. I don't want to be pulled for 'Accessory to no pedal reflectors'.

Top Bottom