An object lesson in keeping your mouth shut...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
similar sort of situation last night with a police car, on my usual route there is a single file bridge that is on a blind bend with lights wither end to let one side through hat a time, a police car came flying through when their side was on red, no lights or anything and the police driver actually had the cheek to beep his horn at me and the car infront in anger. and i know for a fact the can only rlj if it is urgent enough, they have permission from HQ, they know it is clear, and have the lights and sirens on, any rlj'ing can be fatal

Sara_H

Guru
The RLJ by the woman in question did not put you in danger. I understand how some lose their rag with those who've put them at risk, but this woman didn't put you at risk.
And you keep labouring the point that it was illegal, but I don't really get how that justifies you calling someone a bitch.
When I'm driving, more or less every driver on the road is breaking the law in some way or other, but I don't go aound calling them names.
I find it all a bit bizarre, and this you say, is how you behave when you're in a good mood.

Sara_H

Guru
you've never called someone a name sara?
Of course. As I've already said, I understand an outburst when someone has done something that has put you personally at risk, but this woman didn't. I find it a quite shocking response to a situation that had no impact on the OP.

Perhaps I just don't have enough testosterone to understand this behavior.

MarkF

Guru
I learned to keep my mouth shut a few years back.

I'd see the same big, fat guy every day, he'd be wheezing and panting along, the seat was so low he was nearly kneeing himself in the chops. One day we were side by side at some lights and I thought I'd mention it before he did himself an injury, I said "Excuse me, I hope you don''t mind me saying but................." and he replied "What the fooks it got to do with you"? ^_^

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

The RLJ by the woman in question did not put you in danger. I understand how some lose their rag with those who've put them at risk, but this woman didn't put you at risk.
And you keep labouring the point that it was illegal, but I don't really get how that justifies you calling someone a bitch.
When I'm driving, more or less every driver on the road is breaking the law in some way or other, but I don't go aound calling them names.
I find it all a bit bizarre, and this you say, is how you behave when you're in a good mood.

Sara, at risk of repeating myself ad nauseum, I have said multiple times that I was wrong to call her a b***h, did you miss those many times or do you simply choose to ignore them? I in no way believe her illegal activities 'justifies' my name-calling. I would say though that an inaudible (to her) name-calling ranks way way down on the list of bad behaviour underneath breaking a law that demonstrably injures people.

[Can I also reiterate (again) that she didn't hear me?, maybe we'll now be dragged over the coals for even thinking bad things about people?]

As for not putting me in danger, do you only ever say something if it affects you personally? Like I also said previously, I saw a chap run a light at the very same spot last week and nearly get crushed between a bus and a truck - I assume we should all stand back and let awful things happen to stupid people? I realise in this instance, the path was clear but the principle stands. Yep, the principle.

I see you did pick up on the 'good mood' bit, that was up till the point where I saw someone broke the law - moods change do they not?

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
I see the point here.I don't think i've said anything like that.The land rover one where it almost wiped me out.The shouting went wtf are you ferking doing? AFAICR.I don't think I have ever called a RLJer a "bitch" or four letter word.

Generally if it's a bad thing with cars I have been known to lose it on the odd occasion.:sad:

I'm still mystified by this: you call a random stranger a bitch (loud enough for others to hear) when she does something that does not affect you in anyway. And this is when you are in a good mood. This is
  1. Deeply rude
  2. Troublingly sexist
  3. a disturbing misuse of the word. Wikipedia, bless, has a pretty good definition "belligerent, unreasonable, malicious, rudely intrusive, and/or aggressive" which conforms to my understanding. Her transgression does not involve anything like maliciousness.
Most cyclist red light jumpers do it not to save time, but because it's often safer. So, they may often go through red after noting that the sequence on the other side has gone to amber. This gives an opportunity to get away from accelerating vehicles behind, sometimes avoiding left hooks or other danger.

One red light that I go through is a cross roads that has an all red phase with pedestrian crossings across all four roads. Having usually filtered past as many as fifty cars to, when it turns green the drivers are impatient to get away, I end up sitting in the middle of the junction waiting to turn right which feels feels very precarious. I usually don't get chance to turn until the light until late amber or red (due to oncoming traffic continuing to flow through on amber), which then puts me in danger of collision with the traffic coming the oppisite way. I also note that if I've had to wait to turn red that I'm often subject to some very close passes, in fact one driver recently tried to overtake me as we turned through the junction and almost knocked me off. I'm guessing that having to wait behind a cyclist has wound them up.
If there aren't any pedestrians crossing at the all red (for road traffic) phase, I go through. Much safer and no one has been put at risk or inconvenienced.

I'm not disobeying the law just because it suits me to, but bcause it's far safer for me to do so.

Does that make me a bitch?
That just means that you break the law. In the seventies, I guess you would have broken the law "bitch". Seriously though, this whole discussion is not about sexism at all, and anyone who thinks it is, is a bitch, bastard or whatever.

I would imagine if you had have said "stupid bitch" the reaction on here would have not been the same. If it was a bloke and you had said "stupid bastard", I would think you would have had no sexist replies. To me the two different words mean that they are different sexes. So perhaps differentiating sexes makes you sexist:rolleyes:

Sara_H

Guru
Sara, at risk of repeating myself ad nauseum, I have said multiple times that I was wrong to call her a b***h, did you miss those many times or do you simply choose to ignore them? I in no way believe her illegal activities 'justifies' my name-calling. I would say though that an inaudible (to her) name-calling ranks way way down on the list of bad behaviour underneath breaking a law that demonstrably injures people.

[Can I also reiterate (again) that she didn't hear me?, maybe we'll now be dragged over the coals for even thinking bad things about people?]

As for not putting me in danger, do you only ever say something if it affects you personally? Like I also said previously, I saw a chap run a light at the very same spot last week and nearly get crushed between a bus and a truck - I assume we should all stand back and let awful things happen to stupid people? I realise in this instance, the path was clear but the principle stands. Yep, the principle.

I see you did pick up on the 'good mood' bit, that was up till the point where I saw someone broke the law - moods change do they not?
Yes I would probably only swear or use unpleasant words if something had happened to me personally, it's the adrenalin you see. I can't see me getting that excited about something that caused no harm to me or to anyone else, legal or not. I may pass comment anout something illegal, but not in the way you did. If someone was about to cause danger I'd issue a warning, but i wouldnt throw an insult in at the same time. I just don't understand that part.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Yes I would probably only swear or use unpleasant words if something had happened to me personally, it's the adrenalin you see. I can't see me getting that excited about something that caused no harm to me or to anyone else, legal or not. I may pass comment anout something illegal, but not in the way you did. If someone was about to cause danger I'd issue a warning, but i wouldnt throw an insult in at the same time. I just don't understand that part.

She didn't hear me...

So how would you pass comment to something illegal or something that was about to cause danger? In my mind it is only an insult if the person in question found it insulting, which she did not as she did not hear it.

Top Bottom