An object lesson in keeping your mouth shut...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I realise this is gonna make me look very bad [..]

Cycling along Albert Embankment, a girl cycles alongside me as we get nearer to a set of red lights, I stop and she kind of pauses at the line, then cycles through, I mutter 'they're still red', she continues on, and then I mutter 'b***h'.
[..]

(I WAS actually in a very good mood funnily enough)

I'm still mystified by this: you call a random stranger a bitch (loud enough for others to hear) when she does something that does not affect you in anyway. And this is when you are in a good mood. This is
  1. Deeply rude
  2. Troublingly sexist
  3. a disturbing misuse of the word. Wikipedia, bless, has a pretty good definition "belligerent, unreasonable, malicious, rudely intrusive, and/or aggressive" which conforms to my understanding. Her transgression does not involve anything like maliciousness.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I'm still mystified by this: you call a random stranger a bitch (loud enough for others to hear) when she does something that does not affect you in anyway. And this is when you are in a good mood. This is
  1. Deeply rude
  2. Troublingly sexist
  3. a disturbing misuse of the word. Wikipedia, bless, has a pretty good definition "belligerent, unreasonable, malicious, rudely intrusive, and/or aggressive" which conforms to my understanding. Her transgression does not involve anything like maliciousness.

You're preaching to the converted here, I've stated several times that it was wrong and inappropriate of me to use this word (maybe you missed that?).

I have to correct you on one point (and maybe you missed this also), she was 100% unaware of any of this and the only person that did hear was someone that happened to pass me at the very second I 'muttered' the expletive, someone unrelated to this woman who went on to state that he had no regard for the law and then kept on having a go whilst cycling for the next mile of our journeys.

Also a bit selective of you to cite the 'malicious' aspect of Wiki's definition which also has 'unreasonable' in it's definitive terms; I personally regard breaking the law in such a casual manner as being without reason (it's also rudely intrustive) and so by definition there's no 'disturbing misuse' there.

I've also stated that I would refer to others as berks or b*****d's so it's not like I pick on one gender's behaviour over another's and thus it's hardly 'troublingly sexist', it's merely the puerile manner in which my frustration sometimes manifests itself.

I don't imagine you've ever let an expletive slip from your lips at any time and you're the most reasonable and unflappable person there is so congratulations on that and apologies once again for my failings.

Linford

1. Deeply rude
  2. Troublingly sexist

If someone had done that next to me, I'd have probably called her a knob....in the pursuit of equality of course ;)

Sara_H

Guru
Do you think they were together? In the olden days if my now ex-husband had heard you call me a bitch he'd have twatted you before you knew what was happening. The current incumbent is a bit more laid back, but would certainly defend my honour with a few strong words.

Don't go around calling ladies nasty names is the moral of the story

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Do you think they were together? In the olden days if my now ex-husband had heard you call me a bitch he'd have twatted you before you knew what was happening. The current incumbent is a bit more laid back, but would certainly defend my honour with a few strong words.

The moral is, don't go around calling anyone nasty names, ladies or otherwise.

Linford

Emmeline Pankhurst made it her lifes struggle to bring about soem form of equality for the women of Britain, and you go and blow all that out of the water with this ! ...:whistle: ;)

Leodis

Veteran
The moral is, don't go around calling anyone nasty names, ladies or otherwise.

What about nob drivers?

I had a nob cyclist today, I always see him pushing 25mph between cars, buses and other cyclists in rush hour, I once spotted him fit in a 2 foot gap at speed between a moving car and bus. Today he passed me in town as he overtakes a bus at a ped crossing doing 20 or more, that guy is a twat, he might look like a courier cyclist but he is a twat.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

What about nob drivers?

I had a nob cyclist today, I always see him pushing 25mph between cars, buses and other cyclists in rush hour, I once spotted him fit in a 2 foot gap at speed between a moving car and bus. Today he passed me in town as he overtakes a bus at a ped crossing doing 20 or more, that guy is a twat, he might look like a courier cyclist but he is a twat.

Not even them, by all means think it if you must but saying it out loud a) doesn't alter their behaviour one iota and b) could get you in to bother.

Sara_H

Guru
Emmeline Pankhurst made it her lifes struggle to bring about soem form of equality for the women of Britain, and you go and blow all that out of the water with this ! ...:whistle: ;)
Really? Which bit? The protective men bit? Nothing sexist about that. I get protective too, though I demonstrate it differently to the way my ex-husband would.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Really? Which bit? The protective men bit? Nothing sexist about that. I get protective too, though I demonstrate it differently to the way my ex-husband would.

If he had been her partner (he wasn't), I think being protective would focus on the fact that she was endangering her safety and breaking the law rather than on some pillock on a Brommie muttering something out of her earshot.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

How are we to know if they are ladies?

Don't go around calling women nasty names...;)

Linford

If it were my O/H or daughters, I'd be more worried about them running the red and getting flattened by a passing vehicle, than somebody showing concern when they put their life at risk.

Top Bottom