An object lesson in keeping your mouth shut...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Had a much better cycle in this morning, my ploy of counting them out loud rather than say anything else worked well, kept me totally calm and totally out of bother.

Counted out 20 various a'holes between Albert Embankment and Piccadilly (that's cyclists, peds and motorists...) and all they heard, if they heard anything, was a number.

Ear worms help. You can be mildly baffled at a driver's numptiness then get straight back to humming.

Sara_H

Guru
i dont see why people are bitching about you tbh mate, you just showed concern, if she got wiped out by a car and killed it would have been totally different, and everyone would be whining at you about not stopping her. ( people just like to moan) anyone who puts other lives at risk for no reason is an arse and should be called whatever you can summon up at the time.
i for one openly admit when some idiot nearly knocks me off in a vehicle, or most commonly pulls out right infront of me so i need to slam on my breaks and swerve i give them a gob full so they can hear it and plenty of hand signals, if people want to endanger my life so they can get to their destination a fraction quicker ( never the case due to traffic and lights ect) then they can face the consequences of being called a tosser. ( not unreasonable) and if anyone ever physically threatened me like the case you have here i would act in self defence. reasonable force, eye for an eye all that rubbish.
When I'm oncerned about someone I tend to say things like "Be carefull" or "watch out!" not, "Bitch", "Knob" "Cant" etc

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

When I'm oncerned about someone I tend to say things like "Be carefull" or "watch out!" not, "Bitch", "Knob" "Cant" etc

In my experience, you get abuse from ringing your bell, saying 'watch out' or simply stating 'it's a red light'. People don't like being told anything even if it ends up saving them some grief and my remark yesterday albeit inaudible to the person in question was just one step too far in being frustrated by people's wilful stupidity.

I'm not asking for thanks but I don't need the abuse either so I'm saying nothing more than a number now and they can all look out for themselves :becool:

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Case in point, I was cycling down a side street behind someone I know from the gym a few weeks ago, 2 young men and 1 woman walking 3 abreast in the road on our side, a van coming in the opposite direction. So, the guy in front dings his bell to alert them he's there and needs to pass, as he cycles by the girl on the end flings her arm out in disgust (nearly slapping me in the face) and starts effing and berating him 'how dare he ding his bell!' etc. etc. Her male friends just laugh.

jack smith

Veteran
he said its still on red..... showing his concers then when she didnt listen to his advice he called her something...big deal you wouldnt be complaining if she died or even worse got someone who hit her killed.

Sara_H

Guru
he said its still on red..... showing his concers then when she didnt listen to his advice he called her something...big deal you wouldnt be complaining if she died or even worse got someone who hit her killed.
Calling someone a bitch isn't going to prevent their death or anyone elses for that matter.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Apparently, I'm the only person that's ever muttered a mild insult in frustration :laugh:

Bit of a wonky world we live in when people can routinely do what they heck they like regardless of the law and the safety of themselves and others but woe betide someone says something mildly offensive out of earshot and they're suddenly public enemy no. 1

Sara_H

Guru
Apparently, I'm the only person that's ever muttered a mild insult in frustration :laugh:

Bit of a wonky world we live in when people can routinely do what they heck they like regardless of the law and the safety of themselves and others but woe betide someone says something mildly offensive out of earshot and they're suddenly public enemy no. 1
As you said at the start, this was hardly likely to make you look good. Yes we all have a grumble about others for a variety of different reasons. I think it's the choice of insult that is particulary unpleasant, than the fact that you said something at all.

I speak as a woman who was recently called a farking slag for the offense of riding in primary on a narrow double parked street. Abuse is bad enough. Mysogonitic abuse feels even worse.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

As you said at the start, this was hardly likely to make you look good. Yes we all have a grumble about others for a variety of different reasons. I think it's the choice of insult that is particulary unpleasant, than the fact that you said something at all.

I speak as a woman who was recently called a f***ing slag for the offense of riding in primary on a narrow double parked street. Abuse is bad enough. Mysogonitic abuse feels even worse.

That's interesting that something gender specific is more offensive than a general insult. I don't think it's nice at all to call a woman a b**** or even a cow, but is it really worse than a'hole, c*word or m'fer?

I remember a girl shoved me out of the way while walking through a shopping centre and as it was clearly my fault for just being there she screams 'f'ing c!' at me as she walks by. Women aren't entitled to more respect simply by virtue of their gender, that's reverse discrimination, everyone should be afforded respect until they prove unworthy of it.

As I say, it slipped out AND she couldn't possibly have heard it AND bear in mind that she wasn't just being awkward, silly or inconsiderate she was doing something illegal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

And I'm sorry that someone called you an effing s**g just for doing what cyclists are told to do in that situation. That's unpleasant and unwarranted.

Top Bottom