An open letter to all condescending male chauvinist cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
[QUOTE 4755609, member: 76"]It's not. But the thread isn't called "To the nobber in hi-viz cycling at 20 on a shared path", it's called "An open letter to male cyclists" I trust you see the difference?[/QUOTE]I read the OP as referring to a number of separate incidents, involving a number of different male cyclists.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Without reading all 9 pages ...
Oh no. You don't get out of it that easily. Go and read all 9 pages right now. ;)

RedRider

Pulling through
Yeah, what's important isn't the experience of women as raised in the op, rather it's that men's feelings aren't hurt. After all there's an important principle of equality to uphold here and if we allow the generalisation that men are entitled pricks with little self awareness to stand unchallenged then what next? Hard to imagine but we could end in a society where women are belittled and their contributions undervalued. Thank the gods we have men of good humour and reason to stand against this

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 4755636, member: 76"]You are right, @Pat "5mph" should not have judged the comments from other cyclists, who happen to be male, as negative, but should have taken them in the helpful way they were meant. I think you may be right.

That is what you meant isn't it?[/QUOTE]
If it was directed at Pat, i'd have quoted her. I quoted you. You're not very good at reading stuff and understanding it are you.

(edited for typo)

Last edited:

gaijintendo

Veteran
I think what I have learnt today is, if someone writes an open letter - you have the option of reading it, and then you have the opportunity to self-reflect and decide if it applies to you.
I think it might apply to me, as I noted ten pages back, so it was worthwhile reading it as far as I am concerned.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It's not just men. Perhaps the patronising thing when cycling is more often done by men, but in general both sexes can dish it out.
Does the etymology interest you at all? Do you often feel matronized?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Here's the thing. There are a lot of things I 'don't get'. When I don't get something, I view the options as:
a) keep schtum, in case what I say about it is ignorant cobblers
b) do some research so that I either get it, or have some substance to back up my hunch that it doesn't need getting
c) listen to people who do get it, in the hope of learning something
What's your approach?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom