An open letter to all condescending male chauvinist cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Me neither. I read it as listing a series of annoying behaviours, exhibited exclusively by male cyclists

Same here. Seems obvious to anyone who can read that @Pat "5mph"'s point was that it's exclusively male cyclists who behave this way, not that all men behave this way. Those who are taking offence are revealing more about themselves than they might realise.

Generalisation to this extent, to any sex is crass in the extreme.

If you're referring to specific examples of a certain type of behaviour, it's not a generalisation. HTH.

Quick straw poll.

1. How many women have been subject to patronising critique from men of their cycle craft whilst out minding their own business?

2. How many men have been subjected to similar from women?

I think the underlying problem may be highlighted from the ratio of the above.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
...Some maybe, many perhaps.....but not all
No-one is suggesting all. But—invoking my female friends experience again—I have been surprised at how many are, including men of my acquaintance whom I wouldn't suspect of such behaviour.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Quick straw poll.

1. How many women have been subject to patronising critique from men of their cycle craft whilst out minding their own business?

Actually i get quite a few females trying to tell me i'm a bit old to be doing wheelies and skids , the same old mocking ... Its rush hour ... you're an idiot .... ii'll call the police if you dont go away :wacko:

Dear male cyclists,
A wee note to inform you that your attitude is rattling our mudguards.
From you, Hi-Vized to the extreme on a bright day, helmeted on the segregated path, riding on a shared pavement at 20mph, we don't want to hear comments about our cycling.
We don't want you to join us uninvited then commenting on our lack of helmets, we don't want you to tell us not to practice riding no handed on a deserted cycle route, we don't want you to teach us how to use our gears, we don't want you to coach us on how to coast to a stop when our chain comes off, we don't want you to lash out if we get in the way of your Strava segment, we also don't want you to assume we are new to cycling.
In fact, most of us are trained ride leader and year round commuters.
Regards,
The Glasgow Belles on Bikes.
I've not read the full 8 pages but it sound like you came across a right @rse !

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Quick straw poll.

The only rider who has ever tapped my back wheel and insisted I move up alongside a tipper truck at a junction, was a woman. So its certainly not exclusively a male thing.

Its just an idiot thing.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
No-one is suggesting all. But—invoking my female friends experience again—I have been surprised at how many are, including men of my acquaintance whom I wouldn't suspect of such behaviour.
I think some are suggesting all, or at least suggesting its only a man thing.

I think its all idiots, and its exclusively and idiot thing.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
[QUOTE 4755502, member: 76"]Is it? Spinney just mentioned above that she has had similar behaviour from a woman. So, it is not exclusively males that do this.[/QUOTE]

Pat was talking about her own experience, not making generalisations.

subaqua

What’s the point
If something's hanging off that's gonna hurt somebody , or somebody rides where they will hurt others then regardless of sex( gender is s social construct apparently) they get told .nicely.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 4755609, member: 76"]It's not. But the thread isn't called "To the nobber in hi-viz cycling at 20 on a shared path", it's called "An open letter to male cyclists" I trust you see the difference?[/QUOTE]
have you ever heard the phrase, don't judge a book by its cover? If so, do you understand what it means?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom