An open letter to all condescending male chauvinist cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Some on here have been busy being mortally offended while I was at work.
I truly did not expect this.
Well, look at your behavior, if you are not like the cyclists I have described good on you, if, on the other hand you are, kindly stop it.

Perhaps you could have made that clear in your post.
It does just come across as a rant against all men.
Just sayin...
Yes, all male cyclists that exhibit that behavior.
When I find my rides peppered with women doing that I will write a letter to them also.
To date, after 6 years of cycle commuting plus leisure riding, no woman cyclist has rattles my mudguards yet, so I have not yet cause to write an open letter to women cyclists about this topic.

@Pat "5"mph
Just as well I'd a premonition about 'mad wimmen oan bikes' yesterday so I took to the north bank of the river^_^
Mind you if I'd been earlier, I'd have met you once I headed back up through Glasgow south side and Paisley.
Close shave, phew!
Surely you being aware of the perils would have stopped you from any unsolicited comments about our riding? ^_^ :smooch:

I always thought the Bells on Bikes piccies looked a bit like the female cycling arm of the Hells Angels. Edit: Belles
It's an artist adaption of Icarus' wings, you know, Greek mythology, symbolizes the wings of freedom cycling gives you.
Mind, Icarus wings got burned when he flew too near the sun, he fell flat on his face.

[QUOTE 4755109, member: 76"]What a ludicrous post. Are you seriously saying that 'Male cyclists' behave like this to you all the time?[/QUOTE]
Yes, they do, lots of times, not all the time, but plenty enough for it to have peed me right off yesterday, when I wrote the op.
The first few times I dismissed this as casual occurrences, lately I have started seeing a pattern.
I am actually quite thick skinned, takes ages until I notice folks being nobbers.

[QUOTE 4755109, member: 76"]To write a letter to male cyclists is insulting to the huge majority of male cyclists, a large number of who are on here posting regularly.[/QUOTE]
Some of the behavior I described has been exhibited by CC (male) members, at least 3 times I was on the receiving end, at least twice other Belles, also CC members, were.
What do you want? Tags?
At least once I have subtly mentioned that behavior on the open forum to the culprit, but it went, like .... whooshhh.

Most of my life, I would have doubted myself and backed down. Having public standing [as a writer] helped me stand my ground, but few women get that boost, and billions of women must be out there on this seven-billion person planet being told that they are not reliable witnesses to their own lives.
Spot on that woman!
Thank (insert non safe for CC word here) my self doubting years have long past: I stand my ground on this cycling issue.

[QUOTE 4755147, member: 76"]Indeed, but the cap doesn't fit all male cyclists. An open letter to 'The cyclist we met earlier' would have worked wouldn't it? Why is it addressed to 'male cyclists'?[/QUOTE]
Because "the cyclist we met earlier" was not the only one, was not the first one, will not be the last one.
As I said above, I'm quite thick skinned, a few of those incidents over the year I have dismissed as inconsequential.
Lately there have been a few too many, my (derailleur) cage is rattled!

[QUOTE 4755286, member: 76"]What about the rest of my post, do you agree that all discrimination is bad and that people should not massively generalise?[/QUOTE]
I strongly disagree: in a cycling context I make no excuses in saying that most taxi drivers (whatever gender they are) are out to squash me, most WVM (or women) will close pass me, ALL abuse I ever got by other cyclists was by male cyclists.
Of course that does not mean that all male cyclists hurl abuse at females.

Pat's experiences are real and they upset her enough to write about it.
Nay, I'm not upset, merely peed off ^_^
I wrote the post because I thought it would be interesting to discuss this on CC with other women, the oultrage of some of the men Cchatters was quite unexpected.

what I don't get was why her ire was addressed to male cyclists, rather than the cyclists who upset her.
Again, I'm not upset, I'm rather peed off.
The ones that peed me off have all, without fail, been male, hence the addressing.

This is my concern..... the possibility that someone may be deterred from offering help or assistance because it is seen as "wrong"
You still did not read the op!
Nobody asked for help, nobody was offered help, we were cycling in a non obstructive manner, on a road devoid of motorized traffic, we were reprimanded by random cyclists, men we'd never met before.

What's important here isn't the experience of Pat and her group, it's that we establish that not all male cyclists would behave this way.
Nononono!!!
What's important is that we establish that Pat, the Glasgow Belles, the Belles of everywhere in Scotland, the UK and beyond are mighty angry at the male cyclist that behave this way: we will pelter you with our bike pumps next time this happens, so, stop it right now.
If you are not one of "them" tell your pals, because if it's not you it must be "them".
Btw, if my experiences are not important your cries of innocence are an overkill.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
That would need a further coin. I'm not sure if Adrian has an endless supply of such things.
:ohmy: Deep pockets, short arms???

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Here's the thing. There are a lot of things I 'don't get'. When I don't get something, I view the options as:
a) keep schtum, in case what I say about it is ignorant cobblers
b) do some research so that I either get it, or have some substance to back up my hunch that it doesn't need getting
c) listen to people who do get it, in the hope of learning something
What's your approach?
My approach is to generally avoid internet arguments where so much can be misconstrued. I don't want to get into this, I have better things to put my energy into. Have fun.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
What's important here isn't the experience of Pat and her group, it's that we establish that not all male cyclists would behave this way.
Nononono!!!
What's important is that we establish that Pat, the Glasgow Belles, the Belles of everywhere in Scotland, the UK and beyond are mighty angry at the male cyclist that behave this way: we will pelter you with our bike pumps next time this happens, so, stop it right now.
Sorry - my post was an inexpert attempt to point out the "Not all men" tone of some of the responses you were getting (whilst simultaneously attempting to avoid a thread lock/movement to SC&P by using irony). I should have used a smiley!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Sorry - my post was an inexpert attempt to point out the "Not all men" tone of some of the responses you were getting (whilst simultaneously attempting to avoid a thread lock/movement to SC&P by using irony). Should have used a smiley.
Ok, sorry, misunderstood you.
A smiley would have helped, yes ^_^

U

User32269

I take my hat off to any male brave enough to to take on The Glasgow Belles On Bikes face to face.

Twas a question, not an instruction. I find the yellow faces of limited value.
I know: I wrote it, realized it didn't make sense, went to delete and pressed publish instead. So it will stand for all time as a testament to my clumsiness and you replied too fast for me to delete it.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I know: I wrote it, realized it didn't make sense, went to delete and pressed publish instead. So it will stand for all time as a testament to my clumsiness and you replied too fast for me to delete it.
We could make a Deletion Pact...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom