Andover to Liverpool - advice wanted on a scenic route....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndrewClark

Veteran
On 19th September a load of YACFers including myself will be descending on Wyke Down, near Andover, for cycling, drinking & merriment. Once I've recovered from this I've got the next week to ride back to Liverpool :ohmy:

I barely know anywhere south of Cheshire, a couple of childhood holidays in Broadway & Malmesbury and that's it.

So I'm thinking Salisbury Plain, Stonehenge, Avebury, the Cotswolds, the Welsh Marches and home. The English countryside in late summer / early autumn, quiet lanes, pretty villages, good beer.....
tongue.gif

Any recommendations for routes, unmissable places to see and good, quiet campsites would be most welcome.

snorri

Legendary Member
It's not looking good Andrew, nine hours have passed and no recommendations.:tongue:
AndrewClark said:
I barely know anywhere south of Cheshire,
Perhaps there is no life south of Cheshire anyway?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Stonehenge is best visited first, approached from the north on the track from Larkhill which crosses the A344 by the car park & visitor centre (subway under road between car park & Stonehenge). I'd probably go through Andover, Tidworth, Bulford to Larkhill, unless you want a longer route.

From Stonehenge, retrace to Larkhill, left (west) to Rolleston Camp, then north past the Bustard Inn and over Salisbury Plain. Drop down Redhorn Hill, head east on the A342 for just over 1km, turning north at Chirton through Marden, Woodborough and Alton Barnes (white horse).
At the canal just before Alton Barnes, there's a track by a timber yard that goes 400m to a fairly decent pub with a campsite.
From Alton Barnes, up over the hill, then first left through East Kennet,West Kennet and cross A4 to Avebury. Depending on traffic, divert along the A4 to look at the Sanctuary and/or Silbury Hill. If you are feeling adventurous, from the top of the hill after Alton Barnes, it's quite interesting to follow the Wansdyke for a couple or three km west before dropping down to Beckhampton and into Avebury the other way. Tea shop in the NT vistor centre, pub in middle of village.

Going north from Avebury, either follow the A4361 for 6km or so, then left to Winterbourne Bassett & Clyffe Pypard (good pub with YHA bunkhouse attached). The non-main road way out of Avebury is up onto the Ridgeway and follow that north to Hackpen Hill, then Broad Hinton & Clyffe Pypard.

After that, it really depends which bits of the Cotswolds you fancy seeing. Note however that the Cotswolds aren't particularly well endowed with camp sites.

I'll suggest the following for a slightly roundabout "seeing the Cotswolds" route:
Tockenham, Tockenham Wick, Callow Hill, Minety, Ashton Keynes, Cerney Wick, Down Ampney, Meysey Hampton (pub), Quenington, Coln St Aldwyns, Bibury (tourist honeypot), Ablington, Winson, Cold Rogers, Coln St Dennis, Northleach, Farmington, Bourton on the Water (bigger honeypot, fairly nice campsite by the fish farm), Lower Slaughter, Upper Slaughter, Cotswold Farm Park (tea shop, campsite), Snowshill, Broadway (several tea shops, best pub is on the right about 300m before the main street), Childswickham, Elmley Castle, Pershore, and then cross the Severn at either Upton or Worcester.

For a more direct route, I'd go (from Minety, as above), Somerford Keynes, Ewen, Coates, Sapperton (pub), Miserden, Whiteway, (campsite), Birdlip, Brockworth, Churchdown, Innsworth, Down Hatherley (A38), Norton, Haw Bridge (campsite - more appealing than the one at Wainlodes Hill a bit earlier), Tirley, Forthampton, Longdon, Upton-on-Severn. Near Upton the best campsite is the big-but-good C&CC site at Blackmore End just N of Hanley Swan.

North of Upton I'd skirt Malvern via Guarlford, Madresfield and Leigh Sinton, then Alfrick, Knightwick (pub), up Ankerdine Hill (steep), Martley, Shelsley Walsh, Pensax & on via Cleobury Mortimer.
Alternatively, from Alfrick, go Linley Green, Bromyard, Tenbury Wells, Ludlow
(all a bit off my patch)

On Salisbury Plain, if it's been wet there will be big puddles. Near the south end of the track there are some bits of remnant tarmac, which can make for sharp edged potholes that will have you off if you hit a submerged one too fast (BTDTGTTS).

If you bring the Wales & West Midlands OS 1:250,000 sheet 6, route discussion at Wyke Down would be possible.

[edit] any reason for asking here rather than on YACF?

OP
OP
AndrewClark

AndrewClark

Veteran
snorri said:
It's not looking good Andrew, nine hours have passed and no recommendations.:biggrin:

Perhaps there is no life south of Cheshire anyway?

They are all out riding their bikes, I'm stuck at home hoping this stiff neck gets better, physio appointment next week. :sad:

OP
OP
AndrewClark

AndrewClark

Veteran
andrew_s said:
Skips hugely helpful reply...:sad:

If you bring the Wales & West Midlands OS 1:250,000 sheet 6, route discussion at Wyke Down would be possible.

I could just employ a local guide... how many pints per day do you charge ?:biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
AndrewClark said:
I could just employ a local guide... how many pints per day do you charge ?:biggrin:

If I was free I'd carry an inner tube or two for you, possibly a multi-tool as well, sounds like a great ride.

OP
OP
AndrewClark

AndrewClark

Veteran
andrew_s said:
Stonehenge is best visited first, approached from the north on the track from Larkhill which crosses the A344 by the car park & visitor centre (subway under road between car park & Stonehenge). I'd probably go through Andover, Tidworth, Bulford to Larkhill, unless you want a longer route.

From Stonehenge, retrace to Larkhill, left (west) to Rolleston Camp, then north past the Bustard Inn and over Salisbury Plain. Drop down Redhorn Hill, head east on the A342 for just over 1km, turning north at Chirton through Marden, Woodborough and Alton Barnes (white horse).
At the canal just before Alton Barnes, there's a track by a timber yard that goes 400m to a fairly decent pub with a campsite.
From Alton Barnes, up over the hill, then first left through East Kennet,West Kennet and cross A4 to Avebury. Depending on traffic, divert along the A4 to look at the Sanctuary and/or Silbury Hill. If you are feeling adventurous, from the top of the hill after Alton Barnes, it's quite interesting to follow the Wansdyke for a couple or three km west before dropping down to Beckhampton and into Avebury the other way. Tea shop in the NT vistor centre, pub in middle of village.

Going north from Avebury, either follow the A4361 for 6km or so, then left to Winterbourne Bassett & Clyffe Pypard (good pub with YHA bunkhouse attached). The non-main road way out of Avebury is up onto the Ridgeway and follow that north to Hackpen Hill, then Broad Hinton & Clyffe Pypard.

After that, it really depends which bits of the Cotswolds you fancy seeing. Note however that the Cotswolds aren't particularly well endowed with camp sites.

I'll suggest the following for a slightly roundabout "seeing the Cotswolds" route:
Tockenham, Tockenham Wick, Callow Hill, Minety, Ashton Keynes, Cerney Wick, Down Ampney, Meysey Hampton (pub), Quenington, Coln St Aldwyns, Bibury (tourist honeypot), Ablington, Winson, Cold Rogers, Coln St Dennis, Northleach, Farmington, Bourton on the Water (bigger honeypot, fairly nice campsite by the fish farm), Lower Slaughter, Upper Slaughter, Cotswold Farm Park (tea shop, campsite), Snowshill, Broadway (several tea shops, best pub is on the right about 300m before the main street), Childswickham, Elmley Castle, Pershore, and then cross the Severn at either Upton or Worcester.

For a more direct route, I'd go (from Minety, as above), Somerford Keynes, Ewen, Coates, Sapperton (pub), Miserden, Whiteway, (campsite), Birdlip, Brockworth, Churchdown, Innsworth, Down Hatherley (A38), Norton, Haw Bridge (campsite - more appealing than the one at Wainlodes Hill a bit earlier), Tirley, Forthampton, Longdon, Upton-on-Severn. Near Upton the best campsite is the big-but-good C&CC site at Blackmore End just N of Hanley Swan.

North of Upton I'd skirt Malvern via Guarlford, Madresfield and Leigh Sinton, then Alfrick, Knightwick (pub), up Ankerdine Hill (steep), Martley, Shelsley Walsh, Pensax & on via Cleobury Mortimer.
Alternatively, from Alfrick, go Linley Green, Bromyard, Tenbury Wells, Ludlow
(all a bit off my patch)

On Salisbury Plain, if it's been wet there will be big puddles. Near the south end of the track there are some bits of remnant tarmac, which can make for sharp edged potholes that will have you off if you hit a submerged one too fast (BTDTGTTS).

[edit] any reason for asking here rather than on YACF?

It's on YACF as well, I'm just going for a larger audience/knowledge pool!
I've just taken a look at the first part of that route on BikeHike and it looks good. I'm guessing the only problem could be military activity on the plain. You mention following parts of Wansdyke and the Ridgeway, this could be fun depending on surface conditions. I'm not averse to a bit of rough stuff!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Wansdyke:
guess2.jpg

between Beckhampton and the Wansdyke:
guess2b.jpg

Sean (yellow) did have to stop at one point to pick grass stems out of his gears

Top Bottom