Annoying loud rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Parky

Hi

I'm riding a Ribble sportive with Campag Centaur. the bike has developed a really loud rattle when pedalling, I thought it might be a loose cassette but that is OK, I have spent hours tuning the RD and that is fine. LBS fitted a new RD cable and tuned it too.

I'm pretty sure it is coming from the drive train, but just can't solve it! Any ideas woudl be welcome the thing is driving me mad!

:sad:

Number14

Guru
Does it rattle only when pedalling? Does it rattle once every crank rotation or several times for each crank rotation? Does it rattle all the time?

That will narrow it down a bit.

OP
OP
P

Parky

It only rattles when pedalling and several times for each crank rotation.

Does it rattle only when pedalling? Does it rattle once every crank rotation or several times for each crank rotation? Does it rattle all the time?

That will narrow it down a bit.

OP
OP
P

Parky

I think the indexing is OK (would that be different to tweaking the barrel adjuster?) - I had a problem with a loose cassette once on my old bike, it sounds a lot like that. But I've checked and it's definitely not a loose cassette.
Are your gears indexed correctly? Could be chain not quite sitting on cassette properly.

potsy

Rambler
I think the indexing is OK (would that be different to tweaking the barrel adjuster?) - I had a problem with a loose cassette once on my old bike, it sounds a lot like that. But I've checked and it's definitely not a loose cassette.

Sorry,yes meant tweaking the barrel adjuster to see if that stops it,1/4 turn one way if it goes worse then 1/2 turn the other way.

awfulquiet

Have you ruled out the bottom bracket?

Or, recently, a Campag Record 11 noise was found to come from where the rear derailleur mounted to the frame, needed some grease applied to the contact point, noise went away...

awfulquiet

Have you ruled out the bottom bracket?

Or, recently, a Campag Record 11 noise was found to come from where the rear derailleur mounted to the frame, needed some grease applied to the contact point, noise went away...

PpPete

Legendary Member
Although you've only noticed when pedalling - it could be a loose spoke.

Top Bottom