Annoying Puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

night_fusion17

I finally bought a pair of Continental sport contact 26x1.3 tyres to replace the knobbly tyres on my bike. After battling for about an hour or two trying to get the new tyres on the rim, then slowly increasing the pressure to ensure tyre was seated properly, when I inflated the front tyre to about 70 PSI I heard air rushing out from around the valve.
I took the pump off, and then removed the wheel and tyre to see where it punctured. There's a very small rip at the base of the stem. I guess this was caused by using presta valve tubes (came with the tyres) on a rim drilled for schrader valves.

I'm going to order a few new tubes anyway, but will it be possible to repair the current tube, and how can I stop this from happening again?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
tube is not repairable. Velox rim tape is the answer. Even just over the valve hole will do it. a double layer (over the valve hole) works better HTH

OP
OP
N

night_fusion17

Thanks for the reply. I guessed the tube couldn't be repaired, had a similar thing many years ago on an old bike that my brother tried to fix for me, that made quite a bang when it went.
I haven't got any rim tape, so is there anything else that I can do? Maybe a nut or something to stop the valve pushing against the rim?
I might walk down to the LBS tomorrow if it's not raining and see what they have.

Top Bottom