Another accident caught on camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
Some drivers do appear to think that indicating gives them the right of way. Earlier this week I was cycling along a road minding my own business when a driver pulled slowly along side me, indicated left and started to make a turn into a side road. She did seem to think that I should somehow magically get out of her way. Fortunately it happened at less than 10mph and she did eventually stop. It was all rather surreal.

Jamieyorky

Veteran
Congratulations on overcoming your evolution. Clearly you are a higher life form than us mere mammals.

Too bad it doesn't prevent you laughing at the pain of others. I guess that the next stage in evolution.

It has nothing to do with living the high life, it's called common sense! :wacko:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Some drivers do appear to think that indicating gives them the right of way. Earlier this week I was cycling along a road minding my own business when a driver pulled slowly along side me, indicated left and started to make a turn into a side road. She did seem to think that I should somehow magically get out of her way. Fortunately it happened at less than 10mph and she did eventually stop. It was all rather surreal.

The difference is that you were on the road and therefore had priority.

MiK1138

Veteran
whilst the cyclist shouldn't have been on the pavement, and should have been looking around as well, I am troubled that the car turning left could equally well have collected a pedestrian as it was a general "car's have priority innit" attitude
Disagree, a pedestrian is unlikely to have been moving a fast as the cyclist, so i'll give the motorist the benefit of the doubt that had he seen a Ped close to the kerb he would not have made the turn

If the camera was on a cyclist and it was a child running on the pavement and the cyclist passes the child then turns left and knocks them over whose fault is it? The first rule ought to be don't hurt anyone. WE already know the cyclist is on the pavement so we know they're dim, this was 100% avoidable and utterly predictable. I'd give the driver the benefit of the doubt but his flat estuary disinterest in anyone's welfare strongly suggests he drove into the bearded bloke on purpose. Crap driving, in any case. Really awful driving, the rider could have had a huge arrow above him saying "This bloke is Dim" and it couldn't have been more predictable.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm just gonna ride on the pavement all the time and fly over junctions at 15mph, probably wont be posting much in the future though. wish me luck
Luck

400bhp

Guru
It happens a fair bit to runners this. Quick shoulder check by the runner, no one signalling to turn, then a car turns in.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Both at fault..but yet again the cyclist thinks its ok to press on regardless..
driver should have checked left visually after passing the cyclist and knowing he was going to turn left..

Jimidh

Veteran
yebbut - the road is clear - until someone turns into it

Hope you don't teach road safety - you don't go onto a road until you are sure a car isn't going to turn into it while you cross.

I'm amazed reading this thread that people think that the cyclist in that clip was blameless. Firing off a pavement across a road junction like he did is careless in the extreme and even though the driver should have been more aware of him it doesn't exonerate the cyclist from taking his share of the blame for a totally avoidable accident that could have ended in a much worse situation.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Hope you don't teach road safety - you don't go onto a road until you are sure a car isn't going to turn into it while you cross.

I'm amazed reading this thread that people think that the cyclist in that clip was blameless. Firing off a pavement across a road junction like he did is careless in the extreme and even though the driver should have been more aware of him it doesn't exonerate the cyclist from taking his share of the blame for a totally avoidable accident that could have ended in a much worse situation.

That's not what I"m saying at all. What I am saying is that cars should give way to pedestrians at junctions, just like at zebra crossing.
Obviously it's wise as a pedestrian to look, but it's frankly piss-poor for drivers to claim they only have to give way "once the pedestrian has started crossing". Thus cars can keep going till the pedestrian strides out - making it a game of chicken.
Basically this means the pedestrian is a lower class citizen to be bullied out of the way

OK cyclist shouldn't have been riding on pavement in the first place, and shouldn't have been totally dozy, but that's not really my point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom