Another accident caught on camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
SUOTE="winjim, post: 4310645, member: 32172"]Why wrongly? For it to be wrong, either
  1. The motorist was unaware of the presence of the cyclist. This would be poor observation.
  2. The motorist could not reasonably have expected the cyclist to carry on across the junction as he did. This would be poor anticipation.
However, from the motorists actions and comments following the collision, it seems probable that the motorist was aware of the cyclist, anticipated that he would continue riding across the junction, and deliberately manoeuvred his vehicle in order to form an obstruction and cause a collision. Therefore the motorist is in breach of the part of the highway code I have quoted upthread.[/QUOTE]

Supposition and assumption.
Stick to the facts.

The cyclist was cycling illegally on the pavement and entered the roadway in contravention of the highway code.

I know when we were taught to drive we were expected to approach every junction as if we might have to avoid someone pulling out, even if the "give way" markers were in our favour and we were on the major road. I'm afraid that this is something I have long ceased to do, and I do not think I am alone in this. I doubt this makes me a bad person.

If I were the driver in this case, I fear I would have been unlikely to expect the cyclist to join the road I was turning into without stopping. I might even have assumed he was on a cycle-path and would therefore have "give-way" markings in front of him. As a cyclist and a rider, my sympathies are with the car-driver on this occasion.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
The cyclist was cycling illegally on the pavement and entered the roadway in contravention of the highway code.

Doesn't mean you can run him over, if we all ran over every stupid person we came across the roads would be chaos.

The motorist was on the road, diving and indicating as required by the highway code.

Mirrors, Signal, Maneuver - had he been following this he would have seen the cyclist probably was going to be a knob and not slow down and could have avoided putting them both in a situation where a collision could be likely.

I have learnt that being in the right & telling yourself the other person shouldn't to this or shouldn't do that does not work in real life. I once had someone take the front end almost clean off my car because they didn't stop and give way at a road junction when they should have, if they had hit me a foot further back they would have killed me no doubt about it and after that I expect everyone to do exactly the opposite of what they should do and very often I am not disappointed.

mick1836

Über Member
[QUOTE 4287090, member: 9609"]bloke on bike is a complete plonker - but that is crap driving; if you can't avoid something as predictable as that then you shouldn't have a driving licence. If either party had had an ounce of common sense then that would never of happened.[/QUOTE]

We are now in the era of when or whatever happens it's ALWAYS the other persons fault.

KEEF

Veteran
Rule 64
You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A sect 129
Rule 170
Take extra care at junctions. You should

• watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, powered wheelchairs/mobility scooters and pedestrians as they are not always easy to see. Be aware that they may not have seen or heard you if you are approaching from behind
  • watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
Two idots on road/pavement at same time = accident, name calling, swearing, arm waving and heated discussions.................................................................................

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Rule 64
You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A sect 129
Rule 170
Take extra care at junctions. You should

• watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, powered wheelchairs/mobility scooters and pedestrians as they are not always easy to see. Be aware that they may not have seen or heard you if you are approaching from behind
  • watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
Two idots on road/pavement at same time = accident, name calling, swearing, arm waving and heated discussions.................................................................................

There was only one road user and no pedestrian.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Supposition and assumption.
Stick to the facts.

That's not in dispute. Neither does it invalidate my argument.

Irresistable nobber meets immovable pillock. Either could have acted to avoid the incident. Neither did. Both were in contravention of the highway code. However, motorist appeared to act deliberately and then attempt to claim the moral high ground.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I know when we were taught to drive we were expected to approach every junction as if we might have to avoid someone pulling out, even if the "give way" markers were in our favour and we were on the major road. I'm afraid that this is something I have long ceased to do, and I do not think I am alone in this. I doubt this makes me a bad person.
Not exactly, but doesn't it make you part of the widespread problem of low driving standards on our roads? I probably make many mistakes but I always prepare for others failing to give way or for blue-light emergency vehicles emerging, checking and rechecking each junction as traffic conditions permit, until I'm so close that they'd have to be moving amazingly fast to collide with my vehicle. I'd be ashamed to admit publicly if I no longer did widely-taught things like that.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
People can go backwards and forwards as much as they like. However wrong the motorist was to not react to a potential hazard, the cyclist is more wrong and hence liable. Plus as sad it may be, the cyclist has a lot more to lose.

I find it funny (or sad) that someone is sure that the driver deliberately hit the cyclist.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
"Might is right". Right up there with "Punishment pass" on the list of stupid things cyclists say.
I dont consider myself a militant but a punishment pass is something Ive experienced myself.

In the clip IMO the cyclist was reckless to ride off the pavement when he did. Id like to think if I had been driving I would have avoided a collision though.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I find it funny (or sad) that someone is sure that the driver deliberately hit the cyclist.
If that's me you mean, I am not sure that the driver deliberately hit the cyclist, however I think it likely given the evidence on the video. In fact, I can think of three plausible explanations for the driver making that turn in the manner he did, none of which reflect particularly well on his driving. How many can you think of?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If that's me you mean, I am not sure that the driver deliberately hit the cyclist, however I think it likely given the evidence on the video. In fact, I can think of three plausible explanations for the driver making that turn in the manner he did, none of which reflect particularly well on his driving. How many can you think of?

I can think of far more reasons why he would not deliberately try and mow down a cyclist than I can for him to deliberately mow him down. Sure, the driver could and should have anticipated that he was dealing with a moron, but the cyclist is responsible for the situation occurring at all.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I can think of far more reasons why he would not deliberately try and mow down a cyclist than I can for him to deliberately mow him down. Sure, the driver could and should have anticipated that he was dealing with a moron, but the cyclist is responsible for the situation occurring at all.
I agree with all that.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Hopefully both people involved in this little incident learn from it, and the nobber on the bike needs to learn the most, if it had been a truck, he would probably be dead now, unbelievable fcukwittedness, and the most scary thing is he doesn't seem to acknowledge that there was anything wrong with his actions. The car driver should have anticipated what the nobber was going to do (I'd like to think I would have done, however I may not have), but we can hardly make failing to anticipate complete fcukwittery a traffic offence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom