Another accident caught on camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hopefully both people involved in this little incident learn from it, and the nobber on the bike needs to learn the most, if it had been a truck, he would probably be dead now, unbelievable fcukwittedness, and the most scary thing is he doesn't seem to acknowledge that there was anything wrong with his actions. The car driver should have anticipated what the nobber was going to do (I'd like to think I would have done, however I may not have), but we can hardly make failing to anticipate complete fcukwittery a traffic offence.

This ^^^^ in spades.
Good post.

This driver presumably continues to drive along public roads acting as an avenging angel, deliberately driving into other road users whose behaviour displeases him. Probably pulled the wings off insects as a kid.

vickster

Legendary Member
The cyclist was at fault, but so was the driver.
People need to realise that part of being a good driver is making allowances and correcting for other people's mistakes.
Yes but cyclists also have a responsibility not to put themselves and others at risk

winjim

Smash the cistern
People need to realise that part of being a good driver is making allowances and correcting for other people's mistakes.
I couldn't agree more.

vickster said:
Yes but cyclists also have a responsibility not to put themselves and others at risk
Substitute and for but in that sentence and I would also agree.

Last edited:

GilesM

Legendary Member

I agree, but this incident was very different, it required the driver to anticipate that the nobber on the bike was going to do something really dumb, in fact so dumb, that I can understand that the driver did not anticipate it. I would say that the cyclist should have been able to anticipate what the car was going to do, more easily than the driver anticipate the nobber on the bike's next move, as I have already mentioned in my earlier post, as a driver I would like to think I would have read the situation and anticipated the bike rider's next move, but I would not be too certain I would, and I am sure many would not have, however as a cyclist, I would never do what that nobber did, would anyone on here.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I agree, but this incident was very different, it required the driver to anticipate that the nobber on the bike was going to do something really dumb, in fact so dumb, that I can understand that the driver did not anticipate it.
If that's true, where did the driver learn to drive? Perfectly Law-abiding Land? Surely we all know that nobber cyclists are out there?

however as a cyclist, I would never do what that nobber did, would anyone on here.
No. I'd also not do what the nobber motorist did either!

GilesM

Legendary Member
If something travelling at a constant speed in a straight line is unpredictable then may FSM protect us under more challenging circumstances.

I think most people would have expected a change in the constant speed to something like zero, before the edge of the kerb, or even a change to the straight line, perhaps a left turn. Nobody should do what the nobber on the bike did, it's as simple as that, and right now, I think he should be thanking the FSM for saving him from serious injury.

Lemond

Unfortunately, that's down to a small, sad, and confused part of the cycling community, who will always be in the "Car bad, Bike good" camp, not easy to reason with anybody who is so entrenched in that view that they are prepared to defend the nobber on his bike in the OP video.

HERESY!!!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Unfortunately, that's down to a small, sad, and confused part of the cycling community, who will always be in the "Car bad, Bike good" camp, not easy to reason with anybody who is so entrenched in that view that they are prepared to defend the nobber on his bike in the OP video.

I can't see anyone defending the cyclist, but the fact is that a competent driver should have anticipated for the quite predictable event of the cyclist continuing without stopping at the side road and planned for it. The only defending I can see in this thread is towards the driver, who carried out a manoeuvre without checking it was safe to do so.

One person being at fault in an incident doesn't automatically absolve the other from also being at fault.

Nobody should do what the nobber on the bike did

Agreed, but likewise, nobody should do what the nobber in the car did.

If he keeps on doing it (the person on bike that is, I hesitate to label him "cyclist") then one day there will be another of those "helpful" Cyclists Dismount" signs put up there. That will be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom